1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another AM21 Conundrum

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by JJBLW182, Jul 27, 2018.

Tags:
  1. JJBLW182

JJBLW182 New Member

Apr 11, 2018
    I have and HR54 and HR21 and both have an AM21 connected. They are connected via SWM and I’m using a diplexer to combine my roof antenna with the satellite signal. Behind each receiver I then use another diplexer to split it back out. I live in northeast PA and the AM21 does tune in most my local channels. Just recently the AM21 attached to my HR21 died and wasn’t recognized. I was able to find a used one and replaced it. When I connected it and scanned for channels it picked 22.2, 22.3, 22.4 and 28.2, 28.3, 28.4 , which I’ve never been able to see in the guide previously. The guide also showed the programming for each channel. The signal strength for them were all around 95%, matching the base 22.1 and 28.1 channels I've always had. Since my HR54 is my main receiver I use I tried rescanning with all different zip codes , powering it off and on twice within 15 minutes to clear the guide and it still didn’t tune in the additional channels I even removed the AM21, rebooted so the device wasn’t found, then plugged it in so it was found as a new tuner, and did the setup with no luck. So thinking the tuner on the new AM21 I just got was better I swapped them hoping my HR54 would get the additional channels. Now both receivers don’t show the channels. I tried everything I read on the forums to clear the guide and retune the channels with no luck. The forums seem to point to the database not having the channels, but they have to be there if they showed up on my HR21 with the correct programming in the guide. So does anyone have a clue as to why this is happening?

2. coconut13

coconut13 Member

Apr 14, 2013
    You bought a used AM21. The previous owner had probably had those channels scanned in. As long as you didn't "clear out" your used AM21 those channels probably would be retained, on that AM21. But, since you cleared it (and for some reason your system does not pickup those channels) it will not pick them up again. Are those channels in the database? If not, the previous owner had probably "tricked" it into receiving those channels by using "secondary zips". A process that might work for you. What are the call letters and location of these channels? I can maybe help you out.

3. JJBLW182

JJBLW182 New Member

Apr 11, 2018
    Thank you for responding. I don't think the channels were locked in the AM21 because it came from Denver Colorado and I'm in north east Pennsylvania. The call letters are WYOU and WBRE and are in the 18505 zip code. I do get 22.1 and 28.1, but not the others. Like I said they were found and showed up in the guide with valid programming for the channels when I connected it to my HR21. Also I have my HR54 set to "All Channels" just in case they may have been filtered out even though they were not in the Sat & Ant setup edit list. I did try a whole bunch of different zip codes around the area that would get those channels and it still didn't work..............

4. JJBLW182

JJBLW182 New Member

Apr 11, 2018
    Well now I'm really confused. After doing more research I was able to download the TPN_Map_Domestic_180725.xlsx file and looked at the OTA workbook. It only lists 22.1 and 28.1 and no sub channels. Yet they were there and I wasn't imaging it........

Before I hit enter to post the above text I found a zip code out of our local market that must overlap ours and the channels are now there. I think I'm starting to understand why. It appears they are NY affiliated channels that are broadcast here in PA and DT has them listed in the NY market. Even though the base channels 22.1 and 28.1 are local, the sub channels are not. So finding a zip code in an adjacent market does work as long as you get lucky with the right one.

Below's a link to the TPN Map I found on this site. Use the OTA workbook and make sure you look up the call letters for your stations and check where they originate from. It may help figuring out what secondary zip code to use.

Transponder Maps: Domestic, Mexico, Latin ~ Data 7/25/2018

Thanks All!!!

5. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    Look at the guide, if you used a NYC DMA zip code you're probably seeing 22.2 WNETDT2 and 22.3 WNETDT3 and 28.2 WPIXDT2 and 28.3 WPIXDT3 with the listings for PBS Kids, Vme, Antenna and This.

It's one of the tricks to get additional stations to appear. Since WPIX and WNET have the same RF number as WBRE and WYOU, it can match it by RF and minor number.

Hopefully the expansion reaches our market soon so we don't have to use the zip code trick anymore.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2018
  6. coconut13

coconut13 Member

Apr 14, 2013
    For WB-S if you run LA CA (90001) as a secondary zip it will give you KWHY 22.2-22.4 and KCET 28.2-28.4 with wrong guides on all of the channels. Then run Memphis TN (38103) as a secondary zip. This will give you WLMT 38.2 METV with the correct METV guide in WB-S. That is, if your antenna receives 38.2 in your location. There might be more secondary zips to attain more channels in WB-S, if I study this some. I remember helping someone in years past to get METV in WB-S by using Memphis.

7. wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    Just get an OTA Tivo and become a happy camper.

reds1963 likes this.