1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another AM21/HR34 Question

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by pdxBeav, Jan 2, 2013.

1. Jan 2, 2013 #1 of 10
    pdxBeav

pdxBeav Godfather

Jul 5, 2007
    I've searched the various AM21 threads, but didn't see my question answered.

I'm about to have an HR34 with 3 C31s installed and I was thinking about getting an AM21 for the HR34. I know the HR34 has five tuners and the AM21 has two OTA tuners. Without the AM21 I know I can record up to five concurrent shows from my local networks from the satellite. If I add the AM21 and let's say I want to record 5 shows at the same time from my local networks will the HR34/AM21 combo know to use the AM21 for two of the shows and the HR34 for the other three? Or will it only record the two shows with the AM21 and not record the others because there are no available OTA tuners remaining.

I just want to make sure I'm not creating any limitations by adding an AM21.

Thanks.

2. Jan 2, 2013 #2 of 10
    veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    The AM21 adds two more tuners, but you'll still be limited to only using a mix of up to five.

3. Jan 2, 2013 #3 of 10
    pdxBeav

pdxBeav Godfather

Jul 5, 2007
    My question is more about a specific scheduling scenario. Let's say the following occurs:

1. I have an AM21 installed.
    2. I have four shows set to record at 8pm on Monday evening on ABC, CBS, NBC and Fox.

Will all of these shows be recorded? If so, are some recorded using the AM21 while the others are recorded off the satellite? In other words, is the scheduler smart enough to use the satellite to record local channels if both tuners from the AM21 are in use?

4. Jan 2, 2013 #4 of 10
    FlyingDiver

FlyingDiver All Star/Supporter

Dec 3, 2002
    On the road...
    It doesn't work that way. You don't specify "ABC". You specify the specific channel. And the OTA channels are different from the sat local channels. So if you tell the HR34 to record the sat channel, that's what it's going to do. If you try to schedule more than 2 on the OTA channels, it'll give you a conflict message. At least, that's how I understand it.

If your ABC station is on 10, then sat will be channel 10, and OTA will be 10-1.

I don't get locals on DirecTV, I get the national feeds. So OTA for me is totally different channels.

5. Jan 2, 2013 #5 of 10
    veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    FlyingDiver points it out here:
    If your ABC station is on 10, then sat will be channel 10, and OTA will be 10-1

You select which channel [type] to record and the receiver tries to record it if there isn't a conflict and you're not exceeding 5 recordings.

It isn't going to change "ABC" from SAT to OTA or OTA to SAT.

6. Jan 2, 2013 #6 of 10
    TMan

TMan Legend

Oct 30, 2007
    Right, when the recording was initially set up, you would have chosen either the satellite-delivered version of your, say, ABC station, or the OTA equivalent tuned by the AM21. The latter would have the "-1" in its channel number.

You can record up to five things at once, despite technically having seven tuners, but no more than two of the five can be from the AM21.

So, if you were going to record the Big Four broadcast networks at the same time, at least two of those recordings would need to have been scheduled to use the satellite-delivered channel, and up to two of them could be scheduled on the OTA channel.

7. Jan 2, 2013 #7 of 10
    dettxw

dettxw MRVing

Nov 21, 2007
    Choctaw, OK
    And if you have more than five shows set to record at the same time the HR34 will go by the priority you set, doesn't matter if the channel is satellite or OTA.

8. Jan 2, 2013 #8 of 10
    pdxBeav

pdxBeav Godfather

Jul 5, 2007
    I think I got it. Thanks guys!

I'm coming from a Windows Media Center CableCard setup and it doesn't work quite the same way. In my WMC setup I had 4 cablecard tuners and 4 OTA tuners. I was able to map my local stations to both OTA and cablecard tuners. So for example, if I wanted to record a show on ABC it would first try to use one of the OTA tuners. If no OTA tuners were available it would then use the cablecard tuner and use the cable ABC channel.

It sounds like the AM21/HR34 isn't as flexible, but I don't think it'll be a huge issue for me. There is only one OTA subchannel that I would need the AM21 for so I'll probably just skip it for now.

Thanks.

9. Jan 2, 2013 #9 of 10
    CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Series links dont really see anything as ABC or CBS, it sees channel numbers and shows on the channel number you choose...if you set it up to record ARCHER on 248, it records ARCHER on 248...or CASTLE on 53-1, in my case.

10. pdxBeav

pdxBeav Godfather

Jul 5, 2007
    Thanks for all the replies! It's only $50 so I think I'll get it anyway because I love new toys and I like the quality of OTA.

It's been about four years since I was with DirecTV so I'm anxiously awaiting my Jan. 12th installation date. :)