Another channel dispute...Altitude sports

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by bnwrx, Aug 28, 2019.

1. bnwrx

bnwrx Icon

Dec 29, 2007
    colorado,...
    Got an email today from Kroenke Sports, owner of the Denver Nuggets, Colorado Avalanche, the Denver Pepsi Center and operators of Altitude Sports RSN. According to them, Directv, Dish, and Comcast have not reached the necessary agreements needed to carry this channel.They brodcast ALL Nuggets and ALL Avalanche games. In Denver the major cable co is Comcast. So if you live anywhere in the Colo/Wyoming area, and these are your providers, there will be no TV of these teams unless an agreement is done.
    These disputes are really getting old. We've been charged an RSN fee for several years now....I guess it will be going up too........

Link: Don't Block My Altitude - Altitude Sports

2. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    Would be good in the programming forum

3. JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    WOW comcast did not rollover and take an RSN.

Just wait for new cubs channel to flop big time if they want to much.

4. AngryManMLS

AngryManMLS Active Member

Jan 30, 2014
    MN
    Altitude also carries Colorado Rapids games... which given the announcers are calling the game from a remote site and Ricardo Flemming is by far one of the worst announcers in the league it would be no loss for me not getting their broadcasts on MLS Direct Kick.

5. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz New Texan

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
  6. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    I'm glad to see providers like Dish, AT&T and Comcast become more willing to stand up to greedy network owners.

sparky27 likes this.
  7. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Altitude has no leverage because they are a standalone channel. The Cubs channel is owned by Sinclair, they are going to leverage it along with all the RSNs they bought from Fox plus the locals they already owned. Everyone is going to end up having to take it eventually.

Directv completed negotiation for the Fox RSNs + YES (as well as Fox O&O, FS1, FS2 and BTN) late last year, so they don't have to worry about that. Not sure when their Sinclair deal is up - I found records of a dispute back in 2013 so they might be about ready to renegotiate for those locals. Could be a rocky ride, but in the end there's no way they can refuse the Cubs Channel because they'd lose locals in nearly 100 markets.

8. techguy88

techguy88 Active Member

Mar 19, 2015
    When it comes to the Cubs RSN, Sinclair will defiantly try to bundle it with Dish's negotiations for the Fox RSNs now that's a given. If Dish was wise they would have worked out a deal with Disney while they had the chance.

With DirecTV/AT&T, Sinclair can't touch the Fox RSNs until the current deal that they reached with Old Fox last year expires which given Old DirecTV's love for long deals could be anywhere around 6-7 years. AT&T would have been wise to get the max length it could out of that deal last year. Sinclair will most likely tie the Cubs RSN in with the local channels + Tennis Channel that is coming up for renewal with D*/AT&T.

Still this is unique normally this would be bad for a single provider to lose a RSN as fans would flock to the nearest provider with the channel but the possible chance of the 3 biggest providers dropping Altitude in the same week I never thought I would see such a scenario. I wonder how many other providers are in Altitude's area that would carry the channel?

9. bnwrx

bnwrx Icon

Dec 29, 2007
    colorado,...
    Does anyone know this....If the dispute lasts, without an agreement, would the games be available thru the NHL streaming service? When we buy the center ice pack we get the streaming service for free, but are asked to use our directv signin for the NHL signin. If there is no agreement, would we still be able to see the Avs games or will they be blacked out?

10. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa

Doesn't matter how long their contract for the RSNs is, if their contract for Sinclair's locals is up soon. Sinclair is going to bundle locals and RSNs together. They can't do that for the RSNs with Directv/AT&T, but they can and will bundle the Cubs Channel with their locals so Directv will have to either take the Cubs Channel or lose ALL Sinclair locals nationwide.

11. CTJon

CTJon Godfather

Feb 5, 2007
    Of course the fact athletes are getting 10million dollar raises on top of their already huge salaries means the teams have to raise more money from sponsors and from broadcast rights and in the end we pay

12. TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    They will be blacked out if you live within the Altitude region.

13. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Just to be clear they don’t actually broadcast all their games. Some of the games will be on a national channel and you will get those games assuming you don’t have a provider in a fight with ESPN or tnt or NBC sports and NBC and ABC.

For example there will be 17 regular season nuggets games on either ESPN or tnt and those will never be blacked out. They do have 7 games on nba tv but those would likely be blacked out.

sparky27 likes this.
  14. bnwrx

bnwrx Icon

Dec 29, 2007
    colorado,...
    Hockey fan mostly....almost all of those are on altitude.....

15. techguy88

techguy88 Active Member

Mar 19, 2015
    So.... with the Altitude dispute now in full swing AT&T has decided to give the channel dispute slides a *cough* refresh *cough* out with the old dark cyclone inspired design of the past.... meet your new bright, personalized, blunt deathstar slides! :eek:

(Altitude gets no music must not have enough money in the budget for this one.)

altitude_attmsg.png

16. ejbvt

ejbvt AllStar

Aug 14, 2011
    VT
    I have DEFINITELY seen Celtics games on TNT and ESPN blacked out and been re-routed to NBC Sports Boston. It has only happened in the past 2 seasons or so, if memory serves. The Celtics home broadcasts are awful so I prefer the national broadcasts so it was disappointing. It doesn't happen all the time, many times you can watch both feeds.

17. inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
    You won’t see a tnt broadcast blocked out if it’s the prime Thursday slot, or a couple other days. They have exclusive rights to two games each week, no one else can show them. In fact I think there is only one or two times a year tnt has a game where a regional is allowed to show a game while tnt is, and it’s not a regular Thursday game(might be when tnt has a couple Tuesday night exclusives instead). Espn though, they almost always have the regional also carry the game. I however have never seen an espn game blacked out. That is highly odd. NBA tv however is always blacked out for the home team in lie of the RSN. I’d be curious if you could post when that actually happens this year, to see why.

18. ejbvt

ejbvt AllStar

Aug 14, 2011
    VT
    Yes I will. At least, I will try to remember... You can see them yourself for the TNT ones, look for when they are on TNT and NBCS Boston. In New England, they are blacked out on TNT. That doesn't happen very often, but it definitely happens a couple times a year at least. I don't remember it happening until recent seasons. I am pretty sure the TNT games it made me watch on NBCSB which was annoying.

ESPN seems to be like MLB where there are some you can watch on ESPN and the RSN but others you can't and there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it. NBA, MLB, and NHL Networks all black out for the RSN in the home markets. At least the other channels have alternate programming.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2019
  19. inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
    Here in Los Angeles espn never caused a blackout of the Lakers channel. They are always both available.

And except for a couple times a year the Lakers aren’t even on their RSN when they are on the Thursday tnt or weekend ABC game.

20. sparky27

sparky27 New Member

Jun 25, 2019
    I like to see the providers fighting back against endless price gouging by the networks. If they are so awesome then they can just create another app and charge another monthly fee on their own. I bet they make less money, have less viewers and lose out on advertising revenue though. Good luck greedy companies!