1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[Another] Cinema Connection Kit (CCK) question

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by liquidsense, May 23, 2012.

1. liquidsense

liquidsense Mentor

Apr 13, 2007
    I'm very new to the scene (less than a week), and I'm having a bit of difficulty understanding the CCK module.

My current setup is as follows:

1. TV 1: HR34 receiver; ATT U-Verse Wireless Router two feet away from HR34 (but not connected in any way).
    2. TV 2: H25 receiver.
    3. TV 3: H25 receiver.
    All of the TV's are in communication with each other. I can watch shared DVR content on any of the three TVs. I'm guessing this is what is commonly referred to as MRV (a/k/a multi-room viewing).

So, why do I need the CCK? Can't I just hardline the HR34 into the router and enjoy the On Demand stuff on all TVs since they are all in communication with one another?

Also, despite that the CCK is on its way to me in the mail, and I'm sure the instructions will better inform me, I thought I'd ask: How do you connect it? Do you hardline an ethernet cable from the modem to the CCK and then another cable from the CCK to the HR34?

2. Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2009
    You need to connect the Ethernet on the HR34 to your router or switch and all of the receivers will have internet access. There is no need for the CCK.

BTW, this ONLY works with the HR34.

3. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    In your case, you can plug an ethernet cable into the HR34 from the router and it will act as a bridge for your coax network to your home network. The one downside is that if the HR34 loses power or reboots, while it is down, your other receivers will not have access to the Intenet. Usually, that is not a big deal.

If you decide to hook up the CCK, there are a couple different ways depending on which CCK you get. If you get the wireless CCK, it can be connected on a coax in-line with any of the receivers. You can then hardwire it to your router or set it up to communicate wirelessly with your router. If you get the regular CCK, it needs to be on its own coax and has to be hardwired to your router.

Considering that your router is only 2 feet from the HR34, I would go with using the HR34 as the bridge.

- Merg

4. liquidsense

liquidsense Mentor

Apr 13, 2007
    Thank you both for the information. I was very careful to explain to both the on-site technician and the customer service rep on the phone that my wireless router is next to my HR34, but they still insisted that I needed the CCK! Perhaps they were contemplating the power loss issue (but I doubt it).

I'll take your advice and use the HR34 as the bridge.

5. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    I don't think many CSRs and techs know that the HR34 can act as a bridge. With the HR24 receivers, if they are using DECA then the ethernet port is disabled and vice versa. The HR34 is unique in that the ethernet port and internal DECA can be active at the same time.

- Merg

6. liquidsense

liquidsense Mentor

Apr 13, 2007
    Oh, hang on a second. I would need the CCK if I wanted to stream live TV and/or DVR to my computer or iPad, correct? Or is there some way I can still do that by hardlining the HR34 directly into my router? -- meaning, does a hardline simply pass data from the Internet to the HR34, or does it also go the other way, such that I can stream TV/DVR content into my home network?

7. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    No CCK needed. The HR34 is the bridge between your home network and your coax network.

- Merg

8. liquidsense

liquidsense Mentor

Apr 13, 2007
    Awesome. Thank you very much for your insight, Merg.

9. liquidsense

liquidsense Mentor

Apr 13, 2007
    Sorry, but I have one more question about this bridge business. If I connect my HR34 directly to my router, but have the HR34 shut off (regular power off on remote), will I still have access to the internet through my H25 receivers around the house? Or do I need to keep the HR34 on at all times?

10. jagrim

jagrim Hall Of Fame

Aug 25, 2006
    It should remain working, I believe.

11. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I believe the issue is administrative. I've been told the system only gives full credit to an installer if a CCK is implemented. If that's true, the system needs to be changed to allow for an override if the customer has an HR34 near a hard line.

12. MikeW

MikeW Hall Of Fame

May 16, 2002
    Is an H25 capable of On Demand?

13. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Hitting Power on the remote just puts the receiver into Standby Mode, which really just turns off the video outputs on the receiver. The receiver, for all purposes, is still powered on. So, putting the receiver in standby will not affect Internet access.

- Merg

14. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    No, but they can do TV Apps and I'll have to double check, but I believe they can do YouTube and Pandora.

- Merg

15. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    no, the HD receivers won't do YouTube or Pandora. only the HR series can do that. furthermore, Pandora is not available yet on the HR34. Very soon

16. bman3333

bman3333 Mentor

Jun 9, 2010
    I didn't know that either! Even though I had Cat 5 run to the HR34, my DirecTV installer insisted on using the DECA BB adapter. Thanks for the info.

17. drainsurgeon

drainsurgeon New Member

May 6, 2012
    My experiences with hr 34 and hr 24 with ethernet connected to 34 was VOD freezing and skipping but allowed internet to other recv in house

18. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Yeah. I couldn't remember off-hand about that. I have a H25 and R22 on the same TV and switch back and forth and couldn't remember if Pandora and YouTube were on the H25.

Thanks.

- Merg

19. dielray

dielray Legend

Aug 5, 2009
    There are a few reasons a tech will insist on a CCK:
    1) The tech gets paid about what he gets paid to hook up a receiver for a CCK, a few dollars for a CCK-W, and nothing for a straight hookup. He can close out the CCK and leave it with the customer, making this a non-issue.

2) On orders where the customer has an HD/DVR, does not have a CCK on the order, and has never had a CCK installed, there is a line item called "Broadband Eligible". The tech is required to get a certain percentage of these hooked up with a (free) CCK. Once again, the tech can close out a "Customer Owned" CCK, making this a non-issue.

3) Training/Gray Area. The HMC/RVU training's only mention of the Ethernet port is that it has one. Many or most techs assume it functions like the 24's. The training's mention of a CCK is that it may be used to get the internet integrated into the system. Even if the tech knows of the 34's ability, the tech may hook up a CCK anyways to avoid confusing the next tech or out of uncertainty of its dependability.

20. liquidsense

liquidsense Mentor

Apr 13, 2007
    So, I've connected my HR34 directly to my router. My HR34 now has all sorts of On Demand features and TV Apps. My H25s have TV Apps, but no On Demand.

So, what's the point of getting the receivers to communicate through the home network? Is it *just* so that the H25s can get the TV Apps? That's it?

I supposed you can also view live TV on your iPad. But, I just don't understand why the bother with allowing my receivers to communicate through the home network. The things for which I want the receivers communicating with each other are accomplished with the MRV, not the network connection.