Another HarmonyOne thread...

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Tips and Resources' started by spiketoo, Oct 16, 2017.

1. spiketoo

spiketoo Cool Member

Sep 24, 2007
    Apologies in advance - if it wasn't for water I wouldn't retain anything.

So new install seems to have gone well. HR54 and C61K all for one TV (don't start). Reprogrammed the HarmonyOne and all is good except for the issue of both boxes turning on simultaneously. I previously had 2 HR24s stacked on top of one another and I did something 6 years ago when I got them so that the H1 recognized each box as having its own unique On/Off. When I pointed the remote at both and selected the appropriate Activity on the H1, only the corresponding box respond accordingly. I did something with the DTV remotes at the time setting in the 1/2 position as I programmed the H1. I think. Maybe learning each On/Off code?

So I watched as the installer when thru the config for each new box and assigned the appropriate coded remote. How can I transpose this functionality to the H1? Can it be set so that each box is somehow identified to the H1 with its own unique On/Off functionality?

As always, thx in advance.

2. longrider

longrider Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Apr 21, 2007
    Elizabeth, CO
    What the installer did was program the DirecTV remotes to RF. Unfortunately the Harmony can only do IR. Before the Genie there were multiple IR code sets so you could do what you want to do but that has gone away. If you are using the C61K all the time I would just cover the IR pickup on the HR54 and leave it off. All 'off' does is turn off the video out and the front lights, it will still act as a server to the C61K

3. spiketoo

spiketoo Cool Member

Sep 24, 2007
    All I noticed him doing was entering in the 4 digit remote code when the box asked for such. But if that set the box to RF well that kinda sux.

Actually, I was just planning on using the HR54 99% of the time and using the client just for the 1% of 4K watching. Which actually is now during the Wings intermission. Fairly impressive...

4. spiketoo

spiketoo Cool Member

Sep 24, 2007
    So I noticed that under Settings \ RC it states that you can pgm the remote for either IR or RF. Looks to have an option to Reset Remote? Can I reset to use IR and if so, will that remediate the issue? All my other components function fine under IR. I'm generally in front to all components when engaged.

5. longrider

longrider Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Apr 21, 2007
    Elizabeth, CO
    The Genie has no problem using RF and IR at the same time (unlike previous receivers) however it does not have multiple IR codesets to allow two units to be side by side and work independently with IR. As you described your situation I would cover the C61K IR receiver and just use the DirecTV remote to control the C61K. I did this when I had an HR24 and a Harmony but I needed RF as I had a second TV in another room fed by a HDMI splitter. Use the Harmony to control everything else and the DirecTV remote for the C61K