Another 'hey what's in the update' thread

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by spiketoo, Jun 17, 2020.

1. spiketoo

spiketoo Cool Member

Sep 24, 2007
    I can never seem to find much Intel over at cutting edge tho I confess I didn't log in which I think opens up other forums tho honestly the intel there is waning at best. Took 0x13af last week and while I'm not looking for an elongated issues thread, like most software updates couldn't we reestablish at least a 'what's new' thread so we could at least eval if there's anything in it for each of us?

2. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    The info you seek is over there. Directv hasn’t released release notes in probably a decade

3. richall01

richall01 Godfather

Sep 30, 2007
    South Georgia
    Most updates are UTH (which means will not tell you) Under The Hood

4. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    Probably cuz they haven't updated anything in a decade.

Actually, I noticed a weird bug recently. If you look at the guide while playing a recording, the description sometimes pins to the recorded program. I.e. say you're watching the Seinfeld Soup Nazi episode from your playlist, intermittently if you go into the guide while its playing, EVERY show in the guide will show "NO SOUP FOR YOU!" for the description.

wilbur_the_goose likes this.
  5. spiketoo

spiketoo Cool Member

Sep 24, 2007
    Mods, you can close this if apropos.
    Took a ride in the CE forums. Not for the faint of heart on this one at least. It does look like its' just some backend stuff.

Took two steps on this one as there was not a specific thread for this version:
    ...The last version of PI18 that we tested was 0x13AE, So the 0x13AF you are seeing rolling out now would be that new NR of the PI18 series.

Which then led me to here:
    Genie, Genie 2, and Genie Lite {CE:43:05} 0x13AE - Discussion
    Systems in this CE:
    H44/HR44/HR54/HS17
    HR34 is no longer part of Genie CE.

This is a low risk build, that is being distributed to AT&T employees.

The only change is in the backend and users should not see any change in behavior and performance. If you do notice the change in performance (server or client) please report the issue.

At least, I guess that's the intel.

6. FloriDUH JBot

FloriDUH JBot New Member

Jun 29, 2020
    I am seeing the same issue/similar. It took me hours to troubleshoot, thinking there was a problem somewhere else in my home theater.

7. JcT21

JcT21 Legend

Nov 29, 2004
    pikeville, ky
    I updated to the 1406 from 1358 Saturday night. I have the hr54-700. its been awful. extremely sluggish, very slow to respond to remote control commands, slow channel changes and all recordings except 2 were deleted. I know its a risk for that to happen when doing these updates. this is only the 2nd time its happened in many years. I would pass on this update. im going back to 13af in the morning and prob stay there for a while. 1358 worked flawless for me. it was excellent. wish I hadn't upgraded.

8. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    1406 is Beta Software

JcT21 likes this.
  9. JcT21

JcT21 Legend

Nov 29, 2004
    pikeville, ky

yes im aware. I do enjoy testing out the new software for bugs. for the most part though, my experience with the updates are pretty good. every now and then we get a buggy one, but this 1406 is the worst ive seen in a few years. ill prob stick with the NR for a month or so before trying again.

10. BrotherSunday

BrotherSunday New Member

Jun 25, 2020
    I deleted that post as it was mentioned this thread is not for complaints.
    Moved post to Another 'hey what's in the update' thread and updated.