1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another Home Owner Assoc. Run Amok

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Drucifer, Sep 13, 2012.

1. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    4-Year-old Girl's Family Sued Over Pink Playhouse

SOURCE

2. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    I know I'll catch heat here, but if approval is needed for any structure, then she should have gotten approval first.

We have a similar clause in our community and when I put a play set in the backyard 5 years ago, I went to them with my plans and what I was going to put in first and got approval.

Everyone bangs on HOA's, but I'm glad I live in a community with one - I don't think I'd want to sit on my back porch and see that gaudy playhouse every day.

3. Brandon Wedgeworth

Brandon Wedgeworth Administrator Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jan 6, 2007
    Alabaster, AL
    And I'll be (at least one of) the first to say that I'll never purchase a house that is in a community with a HOA. It's my house and my land and I'll do as I please with it. That being said, I get the point of the effect that HOA's are supposed to cause. It's simply not something I want to deal with. I will just make sure never to buy in a neighborhood with one so that I don't have to sign over my rights to do what I please on my property.

4. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Sounds like Mom didn't follow the rules.

Also, it looks purple.

5. damondlt

damondlt New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Newfoundland...
    I'm speechless!

6. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    IF you live in a home with a HOA, then you have to obey the rules... even the silly ones.

But, HOAs shouldn't be allowed. People get up in arms over the government getting in their business... but from my experiences living in a HOA development, I found they were WAY up in my business all too often, and mostly for things that they were incorrectly reading in the rules... had I not been reading them myself, I wouldn't have been able to defend most of the things brought to me to address.

7. fireponcoal

fireponcoal Icon

Sep 26, 2009
    Makes me glad I don't live in the burbs surrounded by uptight douche bags.

8. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    HOAs have been known to push people too far.

To me, that's a toy, not a structure and therefore not under their dictatorship.

9. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Cities have the same thing. Even apartment complexes in the city have them; they're called Building Associations.

10. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Exactly what people should do if they want.

Not buy the home, do what you want, and then complain.

As I've said before, after seeing a former house decline in value due to the state of disrepair of neighboring homes, I'll never again live in a community without an HOA. People can do what they want, as long as it doesn't effect me.

11. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Unless there is a permanent foundation, it should be looked upon a temporary structure.

How would you like the HOA selecting the color of your patio furniture?

12. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    I have the best of both worlds. My house is located on 52 acres. I can do a 360 and not see or hear another human. I don't have to worry about the condition of neighboring homes nor put up with a HOAs bullsh*t. ;)

13. 4HiMarks

4HiMarks Hall Of Fame

Jan 21, 2004
    Laurel, MD
    Looks purple to me too. Or at least lavender.

14. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    7 Acres here and pretty much the same thing most of the time.

I think it'd be funny if somebody painted the complainer's house pink overnight.

15. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule! DBSTalk Club

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    I live in a large subdivision with an HOA. HOA's are beneficial in such an area, where homes are on a 1/4 acre (read - 85 ft. wide) lot. In an environment like this, an HOA protects housing values. Granted, getting permission to fence your yard, plant a flower bed, erect a storage shed or gazebo, build a retaining wall or cut down a tree having more than a 3 inch caliper can be a king sized pain. However, it keeps people from going overboard with property modifications that would negatively affect their (and their neighbors') property values.
    As much as I hate their CCR's, I deal with it. I've gone through the permit process for a fence, storage shed, tree removal and drainage ditch with little or no problems.

16. Herdfan

Herdfan Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    From the story:

Lots of sheds, especially the ones you can get at Lowe's Depot, don't have permanent foundations. This is really no different.

HOA's can be good or bad. It all depends on the people who are allowed to run it. So if you live in an HOA community and don't like the way things are being run, then get on the board and get involved.

My M-I-L is on the board of her HOA and they have rules on what colors your house can be. After a hail storm, one guy replaced his siding with a horrible blue. It was only blue house in the neighborhood and it stood out like a sore thumb when all the other homes were creams and tans.

So they told him he had to change it. He was pi**ed and threatened to sue. The HOA took the first step and sued him. His attorney must have informed him that he was in the wrong because he changed the color. If he didn't like the color in the first place, why did he move there in the first place.

17. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    AchTung!!

Ve haff Vays to make you submit!!! You vill NOT refuse!!

18. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule! DBSTalk Club

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    You live in essentially remote situation. If you were to buy a home in a subdivision having a HOA, you would have to agree to abide by their covenants and restrictions or you'd have to look elsewhere. Although some HOA's become quite dictatorial and in some cases, actually bring about foreclosure proceedings against homeowners who don't abide by the rules, HOA's in general protect the property values of the residents of the subdivision.

19. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    I would never voluntarily live under a dictatorship.

20. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    The problem comes when it is nearly impossible to find a home you can afford that is NOT in a HOA.

Also... it's VERY amusing to me when people love their HOA but don't like others telling them what to do...

The "HOA preserves home values" thing is just nonsense really... How has that helped in the current economic climate?

And how is it anyone's business what I do with property that I own as long as what I'm doing is otherwise lawful?

The fact that anyone would support or like a HOA in this country and then talk about freedom, liberty, democracy, etc. is just amazingly contradictory to me.

People scream if the government wants to reduce salt in your diet but love it when the HOA says you can't paint your house blue. Really?