1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another moving to new home question

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Special Ed, Jul 23, 2018.

1. Special Ed

Special Ed Legend

Oct 26, 2007
    I have had Directv for years and am happy with it.

We are moving to a new home in a few weeks and I am trying to have minimum tv downtime.

The biggest problem is the house has a wooded lot and there is a good chance there will be no good line of site.

Anyway, I called Directv and asked if they could have an installer swing by the new address sometime during the next few weeks and let me know if an install is possible. This threw the CS rep off his game, I might a well been asking for an audience with the pope.

So it sounds like I'll need to determine if an install is possible on my own. Or move the equipment set up a new install and let them tell me yes or no on an install.

Is there a simple cheap LOS checker device I could take out to the new property? If I deem impossible, I'll just cancel and go to Comcast and not waste time having an installer tell me they can't do it.

No idea how the comcast DVR compares to Directv. Also, would not have Sunday ticket option :(

2. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    You can get an App for your smart phone (if you have one) Your best bet is to let the move happen and if NO line of site is found -Then your out of contract with NO problems.

Then you can move to Comcast with no issue - Don't get ahead of your self

Calling D* for any Question will result in many answers that no one will ever own up to - SO call movers and let it happen

Special Ed likes this.
  3. SamC

SamC Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2003
    Except for the huge issue. The OP would be stuck with Comcast (or whatever).

I would never consider moving to any location where I was not 100% sure I could have the perfection that is DirecTV.

Last time I moved (currently renting) I just looked for places next door to existing sat. customers. When I buy in a couple of years, even if I have to pay an installer cash off the clock, I will be 100% certain I am getting DirecTV, the best internet, and so on. I would never want to be a victim of cable.

4. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    My comment was made "if NO line of site is found" = Meaning No D*tv Signal - That would allow the OP to automatic op out of D* with no issue - -Then his only choice would be to go to Whatever option he has in his area - Without and ETF from D*

5. Special Ed

Special Ed Legend

Oct 26, 2007
    When one is moving to a very expensive home there are many other considerations besides TV service. Would not give up a dream house because it is on a two acre wooded lot. I like Directv but not enough to make life decisions around it.

I downloaded that app and tried it around my house seems ok. I'll test it next time i visit the new property.

WestDC likes this.