1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another New Convert

Discussion in 'DIRECTV SD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by JeffN, May 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JeffN

JeffN Cool Member

May 6, 2004
    Had DirecTV Tivo installed Saturday, disconnected Dishnetwork today :)

So far I am very happy with it, havent done too much recording yet, but I have already watched one of the movies it suggested.

Don't like the remote at all, but I'm sure I will get used to it.

I did have a problem/question though.

Early on Sunday morning, I programmed it to record Deadwood on HBO later that night. I was watching something on NBC as 10 approached, the Tivo popped up a message saying that it was going to need to change the channel if I still wanted to record Deadwood. I wanted to watch Deadwood more than whatever else I was watching, so I switched to HBO and watched it.

But I guess the question is, I thought since the Tivo has 2 tuners I could record something and watch something else at the same time? I think both tuners seem to work, Ive seen it recording stuff it thinks I want to watch, while I am watching other things. And when I go look at setup it shows both lines giving good signal.

Did I do something wrong? Or can the Tivo just not let me do what I thought it could?

2. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Yes, it can record something on one tuner while watching on the other. I assume in the setup that you told the box that you had both tuners wired up to the dish since you said it looked like it had worked in the past. Any chance that the Tivo was recording something already on the other tuner, like recording something that it thought you might want if you haven't turned off the option where Tivo will record stuff on it's own. You could have checked by hitting Now Playing to see if there was a red dot next to a program that you didn't ask to be recorded.

3. mini1

mini1 Icon

Jan 25, 2004
    welcome to the real world of DVR's.

4. JDVIDIOT

JDVIDIOT New Member

May 1, 2004

I converted from DishNetwork to Directv Tivo on May 7th and I couldn't be happier :joy:

Of course I never had DishNetwork version of DVR and from what I've heard...I didn't miss much :nono:

5. JDVIDIOT

JDVIDIOT New Member

May 1, 2004
    Oh and by the way, I had that same situation pop-up on me as well. I believe the message applies to the tuner you that you are not watching at the time the recorder wants to do it's thing. If the tuner is not on the channel that's to be recorded, it tell you that it will change to that channel and you can either continue watching on the tuner you are currently on or you can change to the tuner that has the channel being recorded. Of course thats how I'm figuring it.

6. Tusk

Tusk Back in the Game DBSTalk Gold Club

Nov 14, 2002
    Also, you don't have to respond to the pop-up for it to record. It notifies you about a minute before the scheduled recording and after about 30 seconds it will change the channel and start recording. This is good to know in case you are not at the TV.

7. JDVIDIOT

JDVIDIOT New Member

May 1, 2004
    Being new to this whole DVR thing...I'm still in the "How cool is that..." reaction mode on this thing. For instance... I thought it was pretty cool that I had an actual movie trailer on my unit yesterday (think it was downloaded over the weekend) for the new Vin Diesel movie.

I know it will probably wear off after awhile but, man I'm I having fun with this thing :D

8. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    I know what you mean. I sort of like the trailers. Did you look under the "Showcases" menu? There are probably more there.

9. JDVIDIOT

JDVIDIOT New Member

May 1, 2004

No I didn't but I will.

Cool...more stuff to explore :icon_da:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.