Another Philly local to Directv?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by BrettR, May 20, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BrettR

BrettR Legend

Apr 24, 2002
    Anyone know when WTVE will be coming to Directv or Dish? Look at their new website and lineup! Best lineup :cool:

They are carried on cable systems in Philly DMA and Philly itself even up to Turnersville and Cumberland County (70 miles away). Since the station has done some upgrades (in power, now new website), it seems they are taking steps again to gain more coverage and more viewers. They did request mustcarry, as when I spoke to them they said so some 5 months or so back when they aired Philly TV News. Reading Broadcasting dropped Philly TV News.

What happened to Phily TV News. Last I heard Telemundo sued them. They must have disbanded altogehter ;)
    Telemundo sued Philly TV

DirecTV also has an open channel slot between WGTW 48 (921)and WWAC 53(923), WNJT 52 is ineligible for carriage since WNJS is being carried, the EKB for Dish has a number for them on 129.

Philly has 2 full power Religious stations, one from Reading and one from Bethlehem (WBPH) however both are outskirt stations. I'm surprised TBN hasnt purchased either. TBN was interested in WTGI before Paxson acquired Channel 61 some years later, but Ch.61 WPPX has yet to make itself noticed.

2. Ryan

Ryan Icon

Apr 24, 2002
    Whatever you do, don't open multiple instances of the website in your browser--they all play music at they same time. I had four going at the same time. It sounded like jazz musicians on speed!

3. Adam Richey

Adam Richey Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    Kokomo, IN
    Dish Network has a spot reserved for them so they are either working out technical problems, or their must-carry didn't go the way they wanted it to. I think it will be available to Philly subs in a while. Tony has to update the EKB cuz his chart says it's an ACN affiliate.

4. BrettR

BrettR Legend

Apr 24, 2002
    I saw the site, and thought they are a jazz station. Nope. Instead its the same station :( , claiming to be Philly when its just Philly DMA station. WTVE barely reaches into city of Philly and getting into South Jersey there signal is almost nonexistant. I do commute to work in Philly, and further and can pick up Allentown and Reading FM stations past Philly. The UHF channels which are close to full power come in better west of Philly.

I'm wondering if they pay to get carried all the way in Pleasantville, NJ. Its no mistake as Comcast's website indicates for Pleasantville its carried there. http://www.wtve.com/listing.htm
    Channel 95.

Would they pay to get on DirecTV? Hmmm. Probably not, as they can easily get carriage via mustcarry since they are full power. IMO, channels that air just home shopping (off a national feed) with paid religion and absolute no educational programming or general entertainment or news, shouldnt be eligible. I'm okay with PBS and Spanish, but home shopping shouldnt be eligible. Sorry. But there is no requirement of programming for mustcarry just that they dont duplicate another local station. So DirecTV would lose if they tried not to carry it and make space for it.

Few stations/channels mostly home shopping channels get carried because they pay for carriage or there is revenue-sharing with the cable provider. Since WTVE airs ShopNBC and paid religion, they are getting paid to air what they show from NBC and religious organizations. To get carried in Atlantic City, they might not have mustcarry rights that far (although same DMA). They might have to pay for carriage.

Otherwise, I cant imagine how WFMZ 69 would have difficulty getting carried in Comcast Camden/Burlington but WTVE can get carried past that in Atlantic City area, 100 miles from Reading when there is no OTA signal reaching there.

http://www.symsys.com/~ingram/mileage.html

Check the mileage calculator.

I know in Allentown, WXTV 41 from New York is carried but full cable is required which is unique. Most local channels are sold together. http://www.sectv.com/lehigh.html
    I wonder if Univision will require WUVP 65 the new local Philly DMA Univision owned station, to be required in the broadcast basic package instead of WXTV 41.

5. JohnH

JohnH Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Here in Reading, WUVP recently replaced Headline news in the Basic area of channels. Then they put Galavision on full time in the expanded basic area. Still no Telefutura, here.

When WTVE does ShopNBC, we get ShopNBC twice.

6. Adam Richey

Adam Richey Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    Kokomo, IN
    WUVP has to wait for another couple years to demand must-carry, right? I was just wondering.

7. BrettR

BrettR Legend

Apr 24, 2002
    WUVP 65 Vineland/Philadelphia (Univision) is already carried on both Dish and Directv. They transmit from Waterford Works NJ with WNJS 23 (PBS) NJN, however both WPPX (PAX) and Univision have decided to leave South Jersey and have their digital station in Roxborough with the Philly stations. I dont know WWSI's plans, Telemundo but being together with the Philly stations is the ideal choice.

WUVP used to long time ago be WSJT (SJT stood for South Jersey Television), and they used to even have a newscast before they went to USA Broadcasting. This is long time ago, and I only heard about this from another forum or somewhere on the net, dont remember it myself.

The closest thing South Jersey has now thats regional broadcasting in English and carried on cable throughout all of SJ is WWAC 53 from Atlantic City, but their contour area doesnt even compare to Channel 65.

I wonder if DirecTV is working with Entravision to get WMDO 30 Washington D.C.'s Univision affiliate up. Even though its Low Power, its more established than the Phily Univision. Comcast has even agreed and now replaced the Univision cable feed in Baltimore (another market) with WMDO-LP from the DC market. That means WMDO gets carriage on Comcast in both Wash and Baltimore markets, even though its Low Power! WMDO though requires full cable I believe and is probably not in the basic package on Baltimore systems. WMDO I hear also does local news.

Along with Telefutura WFPA 28, I get some other low power channels. Including WPSJ LP 8 and WWJT LP 7 from Philly. It bothers me that these LP stations air better programming than some full power station that air excess amounts of infomercial, home shopping, paid religion only. I know these help pay these stations bills, but its not enjoyable entertainment programming(maybe for some, YMMV).

WPSJ LP 8 has local South Jersey shows, some movies, and the Health Network and occasionaly I catch GoodLife Television network. WWJT LP 7 airs urban videos primarily.

I'd like Telefutura WFPA-LP on, or a national feed, as they air lot of hollywood movies, but in dubbed in Spanish. Soon they'll have other programming. Maybe they'll put subtitles someday, I doubt it. WYBE 35 (Educational) puts subtitles if they air foreign films.

8. Adam Richey

Adam Richey Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    Kokomo, IN
    Philly seems to have a LOT of channels. I can't wait until I get my new antenna with the booster and see what new goodies I can pick up. LOL

9. BrettR

BrettR Legend

Apr 24, 2002
    There are lot of channels, but most people cannot receive all channels OTA. Most are UHF, and the South Jersey channels are all over the place, and Lehigh/Berks channels are hard to get east of Montgomery County. In Washington DC, one can get more channels since Baltimore reception comes in too. But most channels are repeat, 2 FOXes, 2 NBC, 2 CBS, etc. I do like MHz in D.C. market. There is better variety in PBS, educational and ethnic sports from NY and DC markets than Philly.

Anyways,
    the network owned stations make the most money.

Back in 1998:
    http://philadelphia.bizjournals.com/philadelphia/stories/1998/06/22/story6.html

"There's about $650 million in TV ad revenues in the Philadelphia market. Channels 3, 6,10 and 29 command the highest ratings and hence eat up the lion's share, leaving about $65 million for the rest of the pack. "

Viacom now owns 3 and 57, so the big media companies own the most watched stations with few independents that usually request mustcarry.

Allentown and Reading could have their own network affiliates NBC, ABC, CBS and same with South East Jersey(A.C. has NBC only), however the networks make more money just keeping them part of the network owned Philly DMA.

I know Channel 15 in Lancaster, owned by Clear Channel, was once CBS and Harrisburg/Lancaster (46th market) once had 2 CBS stations both owned by Clear Channel, WLYH 15 and WHP 21. When UPN formed, CBS probably requested that Clear Channel make Ch. 15 UPN. I suspect because Ch. 15 was too close to the Philly/Reading area. So Harrisburg WHP remained CBS and Ch.15 became UPN.

I think the same is with L.A. market. Its very massive market, and part of it could be another DMA, however, the networks are choosy who where they want affiliates and would rather keep their markets big. The networks want the ownership cap lifted while NAB generally doesnt, and CBS, FOX, NBC are no longer part of NAB over this.

10. BrettR

BrettR Legend

Apr 24, 2002
    I called WTVE and found an engineer available.
    WTVE is working to get on Directv, and they anticipate 4-6 months. Running a fiber optic line isnt a problem for them. It is a expensive thing for stations WBPH, WMGM.

If Paxson decided to sell their stations, these stations under different ownership could also get carried. Hope Directv has capacity for more locals.

Already in San Francisco market, people are getting break-up on locals on AVS Forum, because many locals are being carried and less bandwith for each if more are being carried.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.