1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another round of PBS HD this week?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by Piratefan98, Dec 16, 2008.

1. Piratefan98

Piratefan98 Icon

Mar 11, 2008
    Just curious whether there are any new local PBS HD's expected this week.

Harrisburg DMA, in particular. :)

Jeff

2. man_rob

man_rob Hall Of Fame

Feb 21, 2007
    Satelliteracer said no more HD in 2008, but he wasn't clear on whether that included locals or not.

3. Newshawk

Newshawk Hall Of Fame

Sep 3, 2004
    Broken...
    I would expect another round of PBS HD LiL launches tomorrow, but I will not know until late tonight when they start updating the locals lookup pages at directv.com.

4. Ken S

Ken S RIP

Feb 12, 2007
    Harrisburg is scheduled to come after West Palm Beach which is now first on the list. Well, at least in my book it is :)

5. dbsdave

dbsdave Godfather

May 1, 2007
    It will be a crime if boston, the bedrock of pbs, does not have a pbs hd channel by xmas.

6. iceturkee

iceturkee DINFOS Trained Killer DBSTalk Club

Apr 1, 2007
    daytona...
    satracer said no more national hd this month.

7. katzeye

katzeye Legend

May 1, 2007
    He said, no more national HD launches this year.

8. bwaldron

bwaldron Impossible Dreamer

Oct 24, 2005
    How is that relevant to this thread?

9. man_rob

man_rob Hall Of Fame

Feb 21, 2007
    This is what he said, copied and pasted from the other thread:

10. jpitlick

jpitlick Icon

Apr 19, 2007
    I miss WGBH. I went to school in the Boston area.

11. T_N_T

T_N_T Legend

Sep 9, 2008
    Don't they say something of the effect of "this program provided by WGBH Boston" and "Viewers Like You" after some PBS programs? It would be odd for them not to have one of the main PBS stations in HD on D*.

I would consider WBGH/WTTW to be the "flagships" of the PBS, if there are ones, as they both produce content for PBS.

12. n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    I agree.. I would really like to see WITF added to D* in HD. The PBS stations that D* is adding, are they the local PBS station feeds or the PBS HD feeds?

Our local PBS station has their local digital feed (of their analog channel programming) on 33.1 and the PBS HD feed on 33.3. This is supposedly combining into one channel soon, as the national PBS HD feed goes away.

13. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    I doubt if they will upconvert SD for those PBS stations which haven't yet converted to HD, so you may have to wait.

We have two PBS stations in the Seattle-Tacoma DMA. KCTS integrated HD into the main digital subchannel in September, so I suspect it will be carried soon (although I receive it fine OTA). KBTC has yet to show any HD, as far as I can tell. Directv is using their digital signal for the SD channel and it is an improvement over the analog signal, but still not HD of course.

I recall seeing in one of the early announcements that only one HD PBS station will be carried in any market.

14. rajeshh

rajeshh Godfather

Sep 11, 2007
    Anyone know when will DirecTV pick up KCTS in HD?

15. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    Well, they are picking it up in HD and center-cutting the picture for the SD satellite channel (which is why the bug says HD). The real question is when will Directv broadcast the HD channel (also KSTW and KONG). The transponder lists show both of these as test channels, so it appears that it is still in the plans. I doubt we will get any definitive word until it happens, or shortly before.

I suspect that this week they are more concerned about keeping up with the locals which have changed their digital broadcast frequency (AFAIK, the only Seattle station to do this was KWPX (Ion) and it still shows up).