1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

another self install question

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by doors70, Nov 30, 2010.

Tags:
  1. doors70

doors70 New Member

Nov 30, 2010
    I am planning on upgrading from my 3 D11 receivers to HD (no dvrs). I would like to know if I call DirecTV to upgrade, will they send me the receivers and dish and allow me to do the install myself? If so, will I still be able to lease them for $99, or is it more/less? I realize this question has probably been posted several times, but searched the threads and cannot find solution. Been a happy DirecTv customer since 1995, had Primestar before that.
    Thanks

2. Yoda-DBSguy

Yoda-DBSguy Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2006
    A Galaxy...
    NOPE.

If you want to do the upgrade yourself, you'd have to buy a dish and receivers online upgrade and then call in to add them to your account while removing the others. this will be at your own expense. In order for DirecTV to upgrade you (for free or for a lesser fee---or at all for that matter) would require them to do a maniditory professional installation. remember If you purchase the dish and receier online----the receiver is an upfront lease price---->you do NOT own it; and will also extend or obligate you to a new 2 year commitment.

3. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Call DirecTV. They have some sweet deals when upgrading to HiDef, typically including free installation of the new SlimLine dish.

4. doors70

doors70 New Member

Nov 30, 2010
    I'll definitely give them a call, thanks!

5. doors70

doors70 New Member

Nov 30, 2010
    I have no issues with the 2 yr commitment, just didn't know if pro install was required or optional.

6. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    Why not get at least one DVR?

7. doors70

doors70 New Member

Nov 30, 2010
    It's just that I've got DVD Recorders in each room already, just set in my old ways I guess..

8. raoul5788

raoul5788 Guest

May 13, 2006
    That's understandable, I used to be like you. ;) I have a dvd recorder with a hard drive that I used all of the time. I had no use for a dvr, until I got one! Now I use it all of the time to time shift, often cutting out commercials. Don't dismiss out of hand the idea of getting one, especially with hd. The recording on a dvd recorder won't be in hd. Is there somewhere you can "test drive" one? You might be converted!

9. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    I had a DVD recorder that I used in that manner, but once the DVRs (TiVos in my case) became available I found them to be much more functional. The DVD recorder is only used to archive something from the DVR. However, I rarely do that since most recordings on the DVR are HD.

10. doors70

doors70 New Member

Nov 30, 2010
    ohhh..I might just get the DVR upgrade, then. I was thinking that since my Sony DVD Recorder has HDMI and RGB inputs, that it would record HD signals in HD. my bad, thanks for givin me something to think about...