1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another sportsmanship thread: Cowboys - Vikings playoffs

Discussion in 'Sports Programming and Events' started by Sharkie_Fan, Jan 17, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Sharkie_Fan

Sharkie_Fan Hall Of Fame

Sep 26, 2006
    I'm sure you've all seen it by now - just a couple minutes left in the game, Vikings up big, Cowboys out of timeouts, and Favre & company score again. Keith Brooking mouths off at the Vikings sideline, and later, calls the move "classless".

So.... classless or no?

I admit that generally I fall on the side of "don't run up the score". Up big, I'd like to see coaches getting their 2nd string into the game. No necessarily because it's "nice", but because I think it's smart football. Why leave your starters there and expose them to any more risk of injury than you need to when the game is clearly in your favor. Obviously football is a physical game, and every play you run the risk of injury.... so, protect your players where you can.

HOWEVER. This is the playoffs, not regular season. This isn't posturing for the 'second season', it IS the second season. At this point in the game, I don't think you can afford to take your foot off the gas. You go all out, 100% for every second of every game that you're fortunate enough to play and hope that your efforts carry you to the super bowl and beyond.

Oh... and I like seeing the cowboys embarrassed too, so that's good. :)

2. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    I'll quote Aikman, "If you don't like it, then stop them."

I'd never coach kids to do it, but these are grown men paid to win.

3. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    If this was school age kids, even college to a degree, then yes, once the game is in controll pull the 1st stringers and get the 2nd & 3rd string some play time. You gain nothing by embarrassing the other team.

Now at the pro level, these guys are getting paid a good chunk of change to win games. Even more so in the playoffs. You bring your A game, or your season is over.

4. njblackberry

njblackberry Icon

Dec 29, 2007
    Maybe Brooking and his fellow "defenders" on the Cowboys (who didn't defend ANYTHING today) should consider playing a better game next time and not get destroyed by a 40 year old QB.

Talk less; do more should the new mantra for "America's Team".

5. ebaltz

ebaltz Hall Of Fame

Nov 23, 2004
    Agreed. There is no such thing in running up the score in professional sports. These men are paid to play. If you don't want the other team to keep scoring, stop them. Play like a man and stop them. The whiney little girls that play for Dallas can't take having their asses beat down, so they have to cry about it. Kind of like the Packers crying to mommy about the mean Cardinals and their facemask penalties. Boo hoo.

6. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I don't have a problem with it... but consider my other sportsmanship thread.

I would argue that IF the Vikings are a team who would rest players in a "meaningless" regular season game to get ready for the playoffs without risking injury... that the same would hold true when leading 27-3 late in the game... that you should apply that same philosophy and pull your starters.

I'd have a hard time with a team running up the score and risking injury to starters when that same team would tank a regular season game because it meant nothing.

7. tcusta00

tcusta00 Active Member

Dec 31, 2007
    I love it!

Seriously, the whining in the NFL needs to stop. These men get paid more than anyone else on the planet to do what they do. Sportsmanship? !rolling

8. mystic7

mystic7 Icon

Dec 9, 2007
    Another reason why I prefer baseball. In baseball, the game isn't over until the last out. You don't see the benches empty onto the field just because there are two outs and two strikes on a lousy batter. Until that last out is recorded, the outcome is up in the air.

In football a team that clinched the playoffs will tank their remaining games, as is admitted to in this thread, while in baseball, two last place teams will play 16 innings on the last day of the season rather than just give up a homerun and go home for the year.

I know that nobody asked me for a treatise on football vs. baseball, but tough!!! ;)

9. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    This is bound to happen when 2 teams with no class in their coaches meet up. Not surprised at all. Too bad both of them couldn't lose.

10. RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery

Jan 23, 2008
    As a Giants fan, yesterday couldn't have gone better. The Cowboys got destroyed, they whined about it and look like children, and Philip Rivers lost to the Jets.

11. Fab55

Fab55 AllStar

Jul 25, 2008
    Wait, a coach with no class? I didn't realize Brett Favre had no class. Now, Childress, on the other hand......

12. lflorack

lflorack Godfather

Dec 16, 2006
    He was just whining and should have just shut up and stopped them if he didn't like getting scored on. He was the classless one -- letting his frustration of getting beat up get the better of him.

13. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    I referred to the coaches specifically...neither has any class.

14. machavez00

machavez00 Hall Of Fame

Nov 2, 2006
    Phoenix,...
    You take your foot off the gas and you end up with a 51-45 game.;)

I for one am tired of hearing Tony Romo every time I tune to ESPN.

At least my Cards manages to score two TD's in their 31 point loss to the "Who Dat!" nation. To my knowledge, no whining from any Cards players

15. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    True...and we have heard no complaints about the 90 points they gave up in their 2 playoff games either...;):D

Kudos.

16. Sharkie_Fan

Sharkie_Fan Hall Of Fame

Sep 26, 2006
    Mike and Mike had Mike Ditka on this morning as I was getting ready for work, and they asked him about the game.

His response:
    If you're beating me that bad, do whatever you want to me. If I'm getting beat that badly, I've earned the right to get beat even worse.

17. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    At that point and time in the game (4th and 3ish), the Vikings had a couple of options. Get a first down and run out the clock or score and make it certain.

While 24 points in 2 minutes is basically impossible, 21 points in that time can be done. (Barely.) In fact, an intercepted pass is the best way to see it can happen. Favre should be all too aware of that.

Yet he has been protecting the ball this season. He might have been primed to throw it away this time.

To me, a 31 point lead is a blowout, yet just barely reaches a level of piling on points. Had it been first down, I would have completely agreed, points were unnecessary. Take the victory stance.

Cheers,
    Tom

18. cheryl10

cheryl10 AllStar

Dec 15, 2009
    I thought the last TD was uncalled for. Minnesota should have just taken a knee and let the Cowboys run out of the clock. Dallas was not going to put Romo subject to more hard hits. Dallas was clearly beat down and there was no reason for Minnesota to rub it in their face.
    But having said that, there is still no excuse for Keith Brooking to act like he had Roid Rage.

19. coldsteel

coldsteel Hall Of Fame

Mar 29, 2007
    To hell with taking a knee. I think that's the stupidest thing ever. You're paid idiotic amounts of money to play a 60-minute or more football game. I applaud Minnesota for continuing to play instead of wuss out. If you have a problem with them continuing to compete, go watch Frisbee Golf or something.

20. Fluthy

Fluthy Legend

Feb 8, 2008
    Skol Vikings!!