1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

antenna mode

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by bcnvc, May 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bcnvc

bcnvc Mentor

Sep 9, 2005
    I have noticed that when the picture is not in the HD mode I get a line of interference is this fixable. This is in the antenna mode. I hope this is clear enough.:D
    Bill

2. Rovingbar

Rovingbar Legend

Jan 24, 2005
    Is the line vertical or horizontal? Are you viewing digital or analog OTA signals?

If the OTA signal is analog, you might have some interference at a frequency the corresponds with the line. This is not supposed to happen, but it is possible.

Try disconnecting and reconnecting your cables. That probably won't help, but you might simply have a connection problem.

Have you tried different video sources (component, S-Video, composite, or even RF). Once you try that, let us know if you still see the same line with the different sources.

Good luck,
    Jeff

3. bcnvc

bcnvc Mentor

Sep 9, 2005
    Sorry to take so long in getting back.
    It I s a horizontal line in between the black vertical bars blocking out the HD part of the screen in I think analog mode when HD is not being sent I know this is as clear as mud but it is the best I can do. I have tried some of those ideas and no help I am just wondering if it is the single the station is broadcasting, in the satellite signal does not do this it usually looks like a bunch of white dashes in different widths
    Thanks
    Bill

4. n0qcu

n0qcu Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Don't worry about it.
    It's part of the signal your local station is sending.

5. Rovingbar

Rovingbar Legend

Jan 24, 2005
    I agree with n0qcu's diagnosis. If you see the problem on only one station, then it is a problem with the signal from that station.

:)

6. bcnvc

bcnvc Mentor

Sep 9, 2005
    I see this on all antenna mode channels when the signal is not HD. I was thinking it was the tuner that come with the 942 not sending the signal right.

7. Rovingbar

Rovingbar Legend

Jan 24, 2005
    Is there any way you could post a picture of the defect?

If it is all analog stations then it could be the tuner, your antenna, your connections, or even your TV.

You should probably call Dish and spend some quality time with their tech support.

Good luck,
    Jeff

8. Jun 1, 2006 #8 of 31
    bcnvc

bcnvc Mentor

Sep 9, 2005
    I am working on that picture.

9. Jun 1, 2006 #9 of 31
    bcnvc

bcnvc Mentor

Sep 9, 2005
  10. Jon Spackman

Jon Spackman Icon

Feb 7, 2005
    Moving to general dish forum. The 942 support forum is for support on the 942. This seems to be more of an education/ general OTA question.

11. Michael P

Michael P Hall Of Fame

Oct 27, 2004
    What you are seeing is the "VBI" of an NTSC video signal. When they digitize the analog signal the VBI comes along for the ride. This is where analog TV's get the closed captioning text, among other techinical things.

BTW: The presence of the VBI is one way to confirm that the signal being sent is actually upconverted SD rather than true HD.

What are you viewing the 921 through (i.e. a true HDTV or an analog set - 16 X 9 or 4 X 3 aspect ratio)? I'm watching via the S-Video output on an analog Sony 27" Trinitron. I just stretch and or zoom the picture to fit the screen - doing this makes the VBI "disappear" (at least it does in 4X3 #2 mode).

12. CABill

CABill Hall Of Fame

Mar 20, 2005
    Well I get a user : password prompt so it is tough to see what you are describing. It would help a lot if you posted the channel NUMBER that you see this on. If you see it on the subchannels of the locals when they are showing 4:3 content and you are using a 16:9 (widescreen) TV, you might see one or more scan lines of binary data on the top of the image.

At least with my 942, the ATSC tuner (not VBI on NTSC) displays such a line on all 1080i ATSC locals. The ATSC tuner built into the TV doesn't display such a line - only when you display the channel using the 942's tuner. It doesn't happen to me with stations that are 720p. W/O a tuner it the TV, you might have trouble knowing how they are broadcasting.

How about if you post the channel numbers where you see this happen? It would also be good to know if you see this on the top of the small PIP window when you display the Guide, DVR list, ... If you have a 16:9 TV, the overscan of the TV would hide the defect when you are watching something that "fills the screen", but you'd be able to see the defect in all content in the small window when menus are displayed. It would be harder to see/notice since everything is shrunk, but check if even with a full screen image where you DON'T see the problem, if you hit DVR you might still see the problem across the top of the whole "little window".

13. bcnvc

bcnvc Mentor

Sep 9, 2005
    I will be back with info not real soon but soon.

14. bcnvc

bcnvc Mentor

Sep 9, 2005

I am using off-air or HRC or 720p-16x9 on local antenna signal in St. Louis 2,4,5,11&30 on the HD 16x9 plasma monitor it is not visible in the PP or DVR mode.

Bill

15. dave1234

dave1234 Icon

Oct 9, 2005
    I think you're on the right track here. FWIW CC data in not in the VBI window, it's actually on an early active video line(line 21 if my poor memory serves me). It's possible that's what's showing up. Or it could easily be the station isn't locating the VBI interval properly on the upconverted SD. Showing even more data.

16. JohnH

JohnH Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    VITS Vertical Interval Test Signals.

Closed Captioning Data.

Various other possibles.

17. bcnvc

bcnvc Mentor

Sep 9, 2005
    Thanks
    I am not very knowledgeable about how every thing works but, I thought it was the network or the receiver not displaying the picture right. Stretching does eliminate this issue except when the signal is not clear as the plasma does not look very good if the signal is not at least a digital signal.

Bill

18. CABill

CABill Hall Of Fame

Mar 20, 2005
    I was hoping for the 942 channel numbers where you get the problem. If it is on "002-01", we would know that it happens on the 942's ATSC tuner. If you see it on the -00 channel, that might be the Satellite delivered version, or it could be the ANALOg version from the antenna (VBI on NTSC applicable).

Since you say it happens on "all antenna mode channels that aren't HD" but it doesn't show the line at the top of a small video window for Guide/DVR, I'd guess that it is something specific to your setup. I'm a little thrown by the HRC reference - it is usually for cable, not off air. Do you have an antenna AND cable?

My "variable width white lines at the top" correspond to binary data (like the mentioned Closed Captioning) on channels that broadcast in 1080i (before the 942 converts the signals to whatever you've selected in 942 setup). It doesn't sound like we are talking abou the same thing.

19. bcnvc

bcnvc Mentor

Sep 9, 2005
    "it is on "002-01"
    That is the type of number

The defalt was off-air I changed it to HRC reference is a choise in hopes to help the issue?

1080i seems to be a better picture but in all applactions it is not

"Do you have an antenna" Yes for HD locals 002-01 etc. I have antenna and Dish only. no cable

20. Michael P

Michael P Hall Of Fame

Oct 27, 2004
    Are you using the RF modulator output to your TV and tunig the TV's tuner to ch 3 or 4? That is the only place I know of (other than a VCR's RF tuner) where "HRC" would be found.

Forget HRC - forget the RF system all together! You need to hook-up your TV via the component outputs. You are not even getting ture HD that way!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.