1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

antennas, digital converter boxes, and Tivo

Discussion in 'Local Reception' started by goodnite_brbk, Jan 8, 2012.

1. goodnite_brbk

goodnite_brbk New Member

Dec 31, 2011
    My TV doesn't convert channels to digital format from my rooftop antenna. I'm in the process of buying a new antenna BTW, but wanted to ask whether Tivo boxes are able to convert signals into digital format, or would I still be required to connect the Tivo device to a converter box.

Also, are Tivo devices capable of increasing the quality of my HDTV reception so that I can enjoy 1080i (or 720p... whatever that number is that's in between 480p & 1080 i)?

2. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule! DBSTalk Club

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    You failed to mention whether your TV is an HDTV or perhaps an "HD Ready TV" (one that doesn't have a built in ATSC tuner but is capable of 720p/1080i display).
    Current TiVo boxes have either 2 or 4 HD Tuners capable of both analog and digital reception. You can select the output video format. To take full advantage of their capability, you have to subscribe to the TiVo service. For more info, visit their web site.
    www.tivo.com

3. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    Be careful, the newer TiVos do not support OTA reception, they are solely dedicated to cable use, but the lower HD TiVo models are excellent at OTA TV recording.

I use an older model 652 HD TiVo with 2 OTA tuners that I bought off eBay and was able to buy the lifetime service at a discount because I already had 2 SD TiVos. It takes a little over 2 years to amortize out the lump sum for lifetime but TiVos are pretty reliable and one of mine has been purring along for 5 years.

4. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    What? I have the newest Tivo Premier, and use it exclusively for OTA. I dont even have cable.

5. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    Perhaps I'm wrong, but I thought I read on TiVo community somewhere that the next TiVo box was cable only.

6. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Next one maybe. Dont know. They havent finished the software for the current one :)

7. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule! DBSTalk Club

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    Correct - the new 4 tuner TiVo Premiere Elite is compatible with digital cable or Verizon FIOS only. No antenna or satellite support and no analog support.