1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

anxious and waiting; first time satellite owner [new equip models/installation woes?]

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by bert213, Jan 6, 2009.

1. Jan 6, 2009 #1 of 18
    bert213

bert213 Cool Member

Jan 6, 2009
    Greetings all,

Just ordered Direct TV last nite. I am currently a Comcast owner and have been satisfied with Comcast HD service...very displeased with costs.

My installation is scheduled for Thursday...very quick...nice :)

2 questions (forgot to ask rep last nite):
    1) Does anyone know what model number my HD DVR and SD receivers will be?
    2) What are the chances that my local installer (Nashville,TN) will perform a clean wiring job, if needed? Is there and extra cost for the SVM technique (8-way splitter functionality)?

2. Jan 6, 2009 #2 of 18
    say-what

say-what Active Member

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    1) You'll get whatever units the installer has in stock, no way to know until he shows up unless you call them -the DIrecTV reps can't tell you, only the installer. The HD DVR could be the HR20, HR21, HR22 or HR23 (most likely a 22 or 23) not sure what SD models are in current use.

2) A standard install includes installation of the Dish + cables to each tuner. Wall fishing cable is extra. If you're getting a regular HD Dish, unless you need more than 4 tuners, you won't get a multiswitch. If you're getting a SWM Dish, then it can handle 8 tuners.

3. Jan 6, 2009 #3 of 18
    bert213

bert213 Cool Member

Jan 6, 2009
    OK, just out of curiosity....

What is the average price to have the installers fish wire and do other misc tasks (would like to be prepared)?

Furthermore, at this point...Am I paying the subcontractor or Direct?

4. Jan 6, 2009 #4 of 18
    dirtyblueshirt

dirtyblueshirt Under Suspicion

Dec 6, 2008
    Anaheim, CA
    My installer was a DirecTV installer, and the charge for a fish was $75
    (sometimes the installer may 'forget' to charge you, so I suggest a tip. This is not guaranteed, of course.)

from what I saw, it looked like the additional charge would be added to your account. Dealing with a contractor may be different.

5. Jan 6, 2009 #5 of 18
    say-what

say-what Active Member

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    Never had to pay an installer. I'd call DirecTv to confirm how to pay for additional install charges. But, from what I recall reading here, I believe all payment is supposed to go through DirecTV.

6. Jan 7, 2009 #6 of 18
    BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Actually, payment goes directly to the installer if he is a subcontractor. In-house techs may be stuck with you writing a check to the HSP, which usually means they will keep some or all of that check, which is BS, but far too common.

And, yes, wall fishes are definitely custom work.

7. Jan 7, 2009 #7 of 18
    Johnnie5000

Johnnie5000 Godfather

Mar 26, 2008
    In house = none of it.

If you're in Nashville you'll get a in house tech. DirecTV says that the free basic install includes routing cable through the floor or an exterior wall. So if you want it fished down from the attic, be nice to the tech and by all means tip him for the work. If its on an exterior wall, probably won't be fished at all.

8. Jan 7, 2009 #8 of 18
    Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006
    Fishes are indeed 65 -75 for basic attick / basement ones. Offer cash to the tech and most of the time he'll do it for less. Checks to the company disappear and the tech gets nothing.

9. Jan 8, 2009 #9 of 18
    bert213

bert213 Cool Member

Jan 6, 2009
    OK, I'm on...

local contractor was excellent. No charge for additional runs(nice)...needed 2 since keeping Comcast internet. Got the SWM hookup with the power inverter/splitter device.

Very pleased thus far. HD looks great, DVR is good, but ON Demand does not have entire catalog yet. Maybe I need to reset it...currently reading ON Demand threads.

I received a HR-21...what are the differences among the HR21,22,23? [link?]

10. dirtyblueshirt

Dec 6, 2008
    Anaheim, CA
    I'm surprised you got an HR21.

from what's been posted, the 21 has a smaller hard drive and requires a baseband converter (BBC)

The 22 adds a larger hard drive (500GB vs 320GB if I recall correctly)

The 23 eliminates the need for the BBC

11. Dknow

Dknow AllStar

Oct 11, 2006
    This may be a stupid question for you but since you're new to D*.....Did you network your HDDVR to a router? If not that may be why you on demand is not working. It does however take about 12 hours for the on demand channels to be available when you first network.

12. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    It takes about 24 hours before the On Demand list is fully populated. If you reset the DVR, it will start that process all over again.

13. bert213

bert213 Cool Member

Jan 6, 2009
    There are no stupid IT questions.

Yes, it is networked....and the listings finally came in.

Thx guys.

14. bert213

bert213 Cool Member

Jan 6, 2009
    I don't know what to think here.....

Should I feel cheated with my HR21?...I do want the latest and greatest.

Maybe I can call the local contractor tomorrow and ask for the HR23?

What do you guys think?

15. cdizzy

cdizzy Icon

Jul 29, 2007
    I thought they all needed the BBC's and only the HR23 had the bigger hard drive.

I only have a HR20 and HR21 so I'm just assuming at this point.

16. dirtyblueshirt

Dec 6, 2008
    Anaheim, CA
    I can say for sure the 23 doesn't need an external BBC. I'm going on previous reports that the 22 was the first with the 500GB hard drive.

17. cdizzy

cdizzy Icon

Jul 29, 2007

You could be right. I just got my HR21 recently and it is a bedroom receiver so I don't fill it up like the HR20. Needing BBC's really don't bother me regardless.

18. redsoxfan26

redsoxfan26 Godfather

Dec 6, 2007
    West...
    All HR models (20/21/22/23) function exactly the same so it really doesn't matter which one you got. The only differences as already noted are the HR20 has a built in OTA tuner, none of the others do but you can get the add on AM21 OTA tuner for the HR21/22/23 from D* for ~$50, and the HR22 and HR23 have larger hard drives. All but the 23 require BBC's unless you use a single wire multiswitch system.