Any 3-Digit Locals Still Out There?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by Gary Toma, May 3, 2017.

1. Gary Toma

Gary Toma UNIX

Mar 22, 2006
    Does anyone out there still have 3-digit local channel numbers ??

It does not appear that any of those 3-digit locals still exist. That channel number information is available and could be published, if (the big if) that data is of any value to anyone.

Any responders ?

2. studechip

studechip Godfather

Apr 16, 2012
    Three digit locals?

3. Gary Toma

Gary Toma UNIX

Mar 22, 2006
    Yup, 3-digit locals. Instead of NBC on channel 7, it might be on channel 905.

Lots of us old folks remember them....

4. TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Ah yes, the good ole days of 3 digit locals. I can't remember how they delivered them, did they use spot beams back then?

5. Delroy E Walleye

Delroy E Walleye AllStar

Jun 9, 2012
    I get still NBC E/W (DNS) on 392 and 393, for whatever that's worth...

Also, not necessarily related, we've got a HR21-100 that every time after a restart tries to map WCBS (that we don't get) on channel 2 over our own channel 2 the first time double-play is initiated.

6. codespy

codespy Go Pack Go!!!! DBSTalk Club

Mar 29, 2006
    Seasonal
    Not the same, but I was one of the old timers with the 3 digit locals all in the 900 channel block. Populated markets got them on the single LNB (like Milwaukee) while other markets later on needed the double LNB to get their locals (like Madison, WI).

I also had one of the old DirecTV RCA interactive IRD's....how technology has changed!

If I remember correctly, the three digit locals were all phased out several years ago when the non-APG receivers were phased out. Hopefully I got that right.......

7. studechip

studechip Godfather

Apr 16, 2012
    I've been with Directv since 1998 and don't remember three digit locals. Maybe we didn't have them here in CT.

8. longrider

longrider Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2007
    Elizabeth, CO
    I believe you are right as it was not a market issue but a receiver issue. Some of the early receivers could not handle remapping. My first receiver was a Hitachi in Jan 97 and when Denver locals were offered they were in the 900s. When I replaced the receiver with a RCA the channels were now in their normal numbers. That receiver sat on a shelf for a few years until I put it on our business account and the locals were still in the 900s