1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any chance of Directv getting something like this?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by cmtar, Apr 22, 2009.

1. cmtar

cmtar Icon

Nov 16, 2005
  2. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    There's always a chance; they'd just need to decide to add a camera to an upcoming satellite. But who knows if they'll do it? They've announced no plans to add a camera to any of the upcoming sats.

I personally don't find it super-compelling, especially when the views tend to be better from much lower in orbit, such as from the ISS or the shuttle. But nothing wrong with an additional option.

3. cmtar

cmtar Icon

Nov 16, 2005
    I doubt i would sit there and watch it for hours on end but I would like to see what it looks like.

4. jhollan2

jhollan2 Godfather

Aug 31, 2006
    I would love to see that during a hurricane!

5. SatliteHD

SatliteHD AllStar

Jun 9, 2008
    No. Dish is an Innovative company Directv is not.

6. jaihawk

jaihawk Cool Member

Apr 3, 2008
    Can you imagine the posts on here and other DTV boards complaining about a misuse of bandwidth if DirecTV added this channel? :)

7. Rob-NovA

Rob-NovA Icon

Jan 10, 2008
    +1

What no Travel Channel HD but you show me this? :lol:

:beatdeadhorse:

8. dshu82

dshu82 Icon

Jul 6, 2007
    Exactly.

Wouldn't mind seeing what it looks like, but the press release seems to make a lot bigger deal about it than it is. Can think of better uses for that bandwidth, no matter how large or small.

9. mcbeevee

mcbeevee 97% Complete

Sep 18, 2006
    Speaking of Dish vs Directv, why does the comparison page on dishnetwork.com say their dvr has a 30-sec skip button, but Directv's dvr does not? Hasn't Directv had the 30-sec skip button for a while now?

:confused:

10. Jeremy W

Jeremy W Hall Of Fame

Jun 19, 2006
    Officially, DirecTV has a 30 second slip button. You need to do a super secret keyword search to enable 30 second skip.

Back to the topic of this thread, the camera on the satellite idea is super cool. It's not terribly useful, but not everything has to be. Unfortunately, these days DirecTV can't come up with an original idea to save it's life.

11. timmmaaayyy2003

timmmaaayyy2003 Hall Of Fame

Jan 27, 2008
    OMG! UFO's? WTF!

12. Araxen

Araxen Icon

Dec 18, 2005
    I would very much like to have this.

13. say-what

say-what Active Member

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    Don't get the point. What's next, a grass growing channel?

14. Mavrick

Mavrick Hall Of Fame

Feb 1, 2006
    Nope Paint Drying Channel :D

15. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    So a camera on a satellite pointed at the Earth is an original idea, or innovative? What is this, 1960?

16. Jeremy W

Jeremy W Hall Of Fame

Jun 19, 2006
    Please point out another company that provides any type of satellite service and has a camera attached to one of their satllites that beams down live images that their subscribers can see. I'm certainly not aware of one.

I remember the D10 anticipation thread, there were a lot of people wishing for this very thing with D10. I realize you joined this site after D10 was live, but you can go back and look at the thread if you don't believe me. If DirecTV did this, most of the people dogging the idea in this thread would be talking about how awesome it was.

17. say-what

say-what Active Member

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    Not me.

18. Jeremy W

Jeremy W Hall Of Fame

Jun 19, 2006
    That's why I said most, not all. There are some honest people, but I really believe this idea would be getting a much warmer reception on here if it were DirecTV's doing. And I still think it's really cool.

19. tbpb3

tbpb3 Legend

Dec 9, 2006
    OR How about another shopping channel?

20. j2fast

j2fast Godfather

Jul 15, 2007
    I'm sure some would like it but I definitely don't see this an innovation. It's not like no one in history (not talking just TV providers) has ever strapped a camera to a sat before.

A channel like this would not be a blip on the radar for me.