Any Deca installs in Minnesota?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by hehateme, Jun 1, 2010.

1. Jun 1, 2010 #1 of 13
    hehateme

hehateme Mentor

Jan 27, 2008
    Hi:

When I got my DirecTV installed a few years ago my install experience was a nightmare so I am afraid to go through this again.
    I have MRV working very well on DVR in the living room and a TV in my unfinished basement. However there is another TV in the master bedroom which does not have a network connection.

I want to get DECA install and I was wondering if DirecTV has trained installers in my area( Maple Grove, MN )

Thanks

2. Jun 1, 2010 #2 of 13
    Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    Last week, a friend of mine in Orono had a very successful DECA/SWiM install where they upgraded all of her stuff. It took the guys much of the day and they had to come back a second day with the stuff to hook her system up to the Internet, but it works very well.

3. Jun 1, 2010 #3 of 13
    Directvlover

Directvlover Legend

Aug 27, 2007
    Two weekends ago i got mine installed. The installer told me I was his first one. He was pretty knowledgeable though. When he got stuck i showed him this website and he also called a felllow installer for help. When he left everything worked great. And has been ever since.

4. Jun 1, 2010 #4 of 13
    Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    Your guy work in Minneapolis?

5. Jun 1, 2010 #5 of 13
    webby_s

webby_s Hall Of Fame

Jan 11, 2008
    So it sounds to me as if you have the "unapproved" MRV (using a home network)

What you could do is go over to Solid Signal (.com) and buy one or two DECA's and be done with it. That is all assuming you have somewhat knowledge of how to hook things up, or just by reading a few post on this very website. AND you have a SWM setup.

I did everything myself so I can not speak to fact of any installs happening in MN.

6. Jun 1, 2010 #6 of 13
    hehateme

hehateme Mentor

Jan 27, 2008
    I don't have SWM setup yet. I have a H22-100 in my master bedroom closet that will need DECA adapter. I did check out solidsignal website and the parts alone will cost me nearly $200. I am trying to understand the benefit of doing the install myself and paying twice the amount. I was under the impression that it will only cost me $99 to upgrade my equipment. Is this not true?

Thanks

7. Jun 1, 2010 #7 of 13
    veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    The DirecTV upgrade is $99 for everything you need + $49 for the service call.
    If you have any receivers that don't work on a SWiM, they get swapped for the same type that does work on the SWiM [as part of the price].
    Without receiver swaps there is no commitment, but if there is then it's either 1 or 2 years depending on the receiver.
    It's really hard to beat this price doing it yourself.

8. Jun 1, 2010 #8 of 13
    webby_s

webby_s Hall Of Fame

Jan 11, 2008
    Yes without the SWM setup it would be smarter (cheaper) to have D* set it up for you!

That way you can have the whole set up on it's own DECA cloud and to future proof yourself (up to 8 total tuners) for the rest of the house.

9. Jun 2, 2010 #9 of 13
    jlmza2350

jlmza2350 Cool Member

Oct 25, 2006
    I had the DECA/SWiM installed a week ago. It was the installers first time doing this. I took him a little longer then he wanted (4 hours) but when he left it worked perfectly.

I had been on the beta for two of my HR's and now I have all four working. The DECA works faster then the beta.

I live in Chanhassen.

10. csterno

csterno New Member

Jun 3, 2010
    I live in Maple Grove and had an installer out this week. DirecTV sent them out, the company is located in Fridley (M Digital LLC).

The installer had worked for them for 2 years and had done a lot of MRV installs (this was a beta area). I was his first DECA install but it wasn't an issue. He needed to upgrade my dish (which required moving it) but everything went smoothly.

11. hehateme

hehateme Mentor

Jan 27, 2008
    csterno

Can you tell me why your dish needed to be upgraded for a Deca install?

When I make an appointment for DECA install can I ask for an experienced installer or am I at their mercy to choose anybody and hope for the best.

12. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    While I'm not him/her:
    DECA needs to work with a SWiM system, so the band that it uses is free. The non SWiM systems use this band for the Ka-lo SAT feed.

13. csterno

csterno New Member

Jun 3, 2010
    Correct, my old dish was not SWiM compliant so it needed to be changed.

I think you're at the mercy of DirecTV regarding installers when you call in. I could give you the contact information for my installer and you could check with them to see if there is a way for you to place an order and then have them specified as the installer. PM me if you want their contact information.