any fixes for Directv2PC audio on XP yet?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by FredZ, Nov 30, 2009.

1. FredZ

FredZ Mentor

Aug 22, 2007
    Has anyone discovered a fix to get the protected audio working on XP yet?

2. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    For a laptop, no.
    For a desktop, you can get a cheap sound card that doesn't have a digital output.

3. krkeeton

krkeeton Mentor

Oct 25, 2006
    I use a cheap usb sound device that I got off of ebay. It costs like 10 dollars (or less) and is very small, but it works like a charm if you go in and disable the laptop one temporarily. Of course, you have to use headphones to listen through the usb device. I have watched everything on my dvr using that method. I hope that helps.

4. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    A sound card with drivers that support HDCP....disable the digital audio output if your card has one also works...if the idiotic companies would write proper drivers this would be an non-issue....

5. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    With XP, you can't disable the digital output, so getting a sound card that DOESN'T have digital output, is about the only way to get this to work [if you can't get one with HDCP support].

6. CJTE

CJTE Hall Of Fame

Sep 17, 2007
    Members of my household tend to break 3.5mm jacks on onboard sound cards. My latest solution has been something similar to this

7. dwcolvin

dwcolvin Icon

Oct 4, 2007
    In this case, I think you're faulting the wrong party. There's absolutely no reason for Directv2PC to be trying to enforce some imaginary HDCP audio restriction.

Why? Because every (current model) DirecTV receiver has an unprotected PCM/Dolby Digital digital output. So who is protecting whom from what? :confused:

Fix it, D*

Reminds me of the time IBM decided the telephone cords on their modems had to be non-detachable, because some genius observed that if it were detachable, someone might put it in their mouth and get shocked if the phone rang... so there were portable computers with phone cords dangling out of them (laptops didn't exist, yet). What they failed to notice was that every telephone in the country with a modular cord (and every other modem) had a detachable cord, and there had not been an epidemic of shocks.

8. The_Geyser

The_Geyser Legend

Nov 21, 2005
    I agree! Fix it Direct TV! I have a monster laptop from hell only to hit this brick wall. (I have to run XP because of LAN restrictions.) If there was a MAC version...wait wrong thread.

9. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Since I logged this issue over 18 months ago, I'm not holding my breath waiting for a fix anymore. :nono: