Any issues with Directv using Spectrum lines

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by gator1234, Jun 21, 2021.

1. gator1234

gator1234 AllStar

Jul 21, 2007
    Getting a new installation and currently have Spectrum cable. I assume Directv will take the pre-wired Spectrum cable lines but is there any issue with me keeping the internet only cable line from Spectrum. I assume Directv installation could handle this??

2. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    The two services can’t be on the same line

3. mke

mke Member

Sep 8, 2015
    They could run another line. They will probaly charge extra fee

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

4. gator1234

gator1234 AllStar

Jul 21, 2007
    You mean the cable company or Directv/

5. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    Both

6. mke

mke Member

Sep 8, 2015
    Direct tv

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

7. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    E.Mdtrn Sea
    I would run additional coax cable in no time , it's just typical DIY project :)

8. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Whether they can use the existing wiring or not, DIRECTV will make it work.

The question is whether your cables are all home run or if you have a network of splitters. If all of the cables come to a single point inside the house, then DIRECTV can pick and choose among them. If there are many splitters located hither and yon, they'll probably need to run new cables.

Before they start, make sure you show them the cable modem/gateway.

9. krel

krel New Member

Mar 20, 2013
    you could always tell DTV to install there own coax

10. studechip

studechip Godfather

Apr 16, 2012
    Correction: You SHOULD tell Directv to install their own coax.

krel likes this.
  11. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Feb 9, 2008
    If Spectrum. Comes into your home using RG6 --Directv Will Have to run a NEW RG6 From the SAT DISH into your home --They may be able to reuse Current RG6 run to other locations in your home as long as they are direct Runs to each room --OF course The RG6 That is connected to your Spectrum Modem will have to remain and can NOT be used for D*TV Service.

12. gator1234

gator1234 AllStar

Jul 21, 2007
    Thanks for all the feedback. It has been very helpful.

studechip likes this.
  13. krel

krel New Member

Mar 20, 2013
    to be honest spectrum will report dtv for using there lines!!! weather it does any good or not who knows my thought is it don't do any good

14. ericknolls

ericknolls Active Member

Aug 18, 2013
    New York,...
    In my case - I remember the technician looking at some old coaxial cable that was left in my apartment that belonged to Time Warner Cable. The tech said the cable was still good. He used it and ran another brand new line to the receiver. I'm guessing at some point the tech disconnected the cable from Time Warner's equipment and connected it to there's. Maybe the RGB 6 coaxial cable is standard and can could be used on both services.

15. Claude A Greiner

Claude A Greiner DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Dec 7, 2018
    A new installation includes brand new wiring.

So don’t make the installer tell you they have to use the existing wiring that is there if it’s being used by another company or provider.

If it’s not being used it’s one thing however if you are using the line for internet the Directv tech cannot use it.

I look at it as a first come basis.

If the line is not being used and the Directv guy uses the wire, it’s fair game. If the spectrum tech comes later and it’s being used, he needs to run a new wire.

Vice versa if the line is being used for cable internet and the Directv guy shows up.

I once did a job, used an abandoned Comcast line to hook up Dish Network.

A month later the lady orders Comcast internet service, Comcast guy disconnects the satellite receiver and says to call us to run a new line.

I show up on the service call, and give the customer 2 options…

#1 Pay me to run the new line that the Comcast installer was too lazy to do.

#2 I’ll hook up the Dish box the way I had it. Call Comcast and have them do a proper install.

If you currently have spectrum internet let the Directv tech know this so he accidentally disconnect it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. HIgh Order

HIgh Order New Member

Jul 12, 2021
    Hi OP
    New guy here, but not new to 'make it work' installs.

One thing that hasn't been discussed here, is that your new installer will have to rely on the previous installers' work. If the cable was bent, or scraped a nail, it may not be obvious at install time, but over time and weather conditions long after they leave, you might be stuck with less than optimal service. I doubt they would cut and replace the connectors, and they are well-known for being sources of intermittent issues. Work fine today, a little moisture, terrible for a few days, dries out or moves a little, fine again.

I understand not wanting to have a whole bunch of cabling strung all over your house, but sometimes, for reliability, it is less upsetting.

P Smith likes this.