1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

any new hd channels coming?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by waywoos, Jun 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jun 6, 2004 #1 of 46
    waywoos

waywoos Mentor

Mar 14, 2004
    anyone have any clue is dish is bringing new hd channels soon and what ones?
    thanks

2. Jun 7, 2004 #2 of 46
    CoriBright

CoriBright Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

May 30, 2002
    Is there going to be a week when this question ISN'T asked????

3. Jun 7, 2004 #3 of 46
    JM Anthony

JM Anthony Child of the 60's DBSTalk Gold Club

Nov 16, 2003
    Probably not. It really would be nice to have a few more HD channels. Never hurts to remind E* that this is one of the questions on the minds of a lot of folks.

4. Jun 7, 2004 #4 of 46
    Link

Link Hall Of Fame

Feb 1, 2004
    It'd be nice if they'd add some channels period besides local ones. The last thing I remember being added is SI TV on 159. They have room for channels like that but can't add requested ones like Oxygen, Good Life TV, and others people have wanted.

But I don't get why they do not offer any HD feeds of ABC, NBC, and Fox or WB for that matter.
    They could carry the New York and LA feeds of these like they do the others so I don't understand why CBS is the only one available on both Dish and Directv. It appears like CBS is the only network that even broadcasts in HD!

5. Jun 7, 2004 #5 of 46
    Slordak

Slordak Hall Of Fame

Dec 17, 2003
    I would be content with no new channels if it meant no price hikes. If my choice was to have some obscure channels added, but the rates go up, or the obscure channels are not added, and the rates stay the same, I'm all for the current programming package and price.

I don't understand the "more more more" attitude. I don't have enough time to watch all of these channels anyway, especially with a PVR recording content to be watched later.

6. Jun 7, 2004 #6 of 46
    ehren

ehren Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2003
    It would be nice if TNT-HD was replaced with a real HD channel.

7. Jun 7, 2004 #7 of 46
    Cyclone

Cyclone Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 1, 2002
    Hehe, TNT-HD is the first HD channel that I actually wish that they would drop.

8. Jun 7, 2004 #8 of 46
    Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule! DBSTalk Club

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    Oh, ferhevvinssake! TNT-HD just launched, and already people are complaining about it! Admittedly, it has its flaws, but given time and enough complaints to Time Warner for their stupid stretching of the picture, it'll probably be just fine. I was away on vacation for a few weeks, so haven't had too much chance to watch, but last night I switched to TNT-HD after watching a great musical show on HDNet, and caught the Honda commercial in WS HD and Dolby digital. Awesome! Now, if all their program content were that good!

Seriously, though -- Some folks seem to think that there is a TON of HD programming on the networks. Not so! Just a few hours a night at best. Just look at the HD listings on www.titantv.com and you'll see. If you want HD just for the sake of the "WOW" effect of HD, then get Voom. E* and D* have business decisions to make when it comes to bandwidth. For them, it makes good business sense to add several locals to their transponders in the space taken up by a single HD feed. Like it or not, we as subscribers have to accept that fact. In the long run, it's good for us because it keeps our rates low, compared to cable. Despite the shortcomings of Dish, I don't for a minute regret dropping TW cable. Yes, I fervently wish I could receive the networks in HD, but unless Congress acts to allow DBS providers to give all subscribers distant networks in HD, we'll have to wait for local broadcasters to provide HD OTA. In the smaller markets, it will be a very long wait.

9. Jun 7, 2004 #9 of 46
    BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch Hall Of Fame

Apr 24, 2002
    Speak for yourselves..... I LIKE Angel and Charmed reruns in less compressed versions (upconverted or not...). I never really watched TNT much before and I didn't start watching Charmed until Rose McGowan showed up, so there a re a lot of old episodes for me to discover. As for Angel, I'm going through Joss Whedon withdrawl so I will have to rediscover some of the old Buffy and Angel shows to get my fix. There may be a few I missed the first time around.

10. Cyclone

Cyclone Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 1, 2002
    If it was just Charmed and a few old TV shows still in SD, then I'd just consider them to be acceptable "flaws". An HD source does not exist, but you do the best you can by up-converting the SD material. But TNT-HD is fundamentally not an HDTV channel. That is what everyone is having a problem with.

1. HDTV is Rare on TNT-HD: The only HDTV programming has been some NBA games. This is nothing more than what we got with the HDEvents channel.

2. Syndicated TV shows: Shows such as: Law & Order, NYPD Blue, Judging Amy, and ER were shown in HDTV on their respective networks. Sure some older episodes preceded HDTV, but the ones that have been shown on TNT-HD so far have been from within the last two years. So HDTV copies of these episodes exist, but are not being used.

3. Movies: HBO-HD and HDNet Movies have shown that no matter how old a title is, an HDTV copy of it is available. TNT-HD has yet to show a single HDTV movie out of all of the movies that they have been showing since their launch.

4. Dolby Digital 5.1: They have the DD5.1 flag set on their bitstream, my receiver shows its DD5.1. But the material never is. Again, like the HDTV programming, the audio is just regular stereo being carried on a premium signal. Just like the video is SD material being carried on a HD signal. If a show mastered with DD5.1 (like the HDTV copy of NYPD:Blue), but it does not have the HD copy broadcasted, then what would make anyone think that they are getting the DD5.1 audio at all? That is because they are not getting DD5.1, but just 2.0 on a false 5.1 stream.

5. The Farce of it all: TNT-HD consistently touts its "Presented in HDTV" on shows that are NOT HDTV. So we have SD shows stretched being called HDTV, and we have stereo sound tracks being carried as DD5.1.

TNT-HD is the equivalent of cyber squatting. They have reserved for themselves a seat for when HD channels begin to crowd the bandwidth tight lineups. It will eventually be difficult to get a new channel carried down the road. So they just cobbled up this TNT-HD and got it on the air prematurely to hold a spot for themselves.

Cyclone

11. ehren

ehren Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2003
    dam that was well said Cyclone!

12. Mike123abc

Mike123abc Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 19, 2002
    I just wish they would stop their funky stretching. Why do HDTV channels like TNT and ESPN think that they have to stretch? Why not just let the end user stretch if they want to? At least with ESPN I can unstretch it, with TNT they have a distortion stretch...

13. chelsea

chelsea Legend

May 1, 2003
    TNT HD was a slam at rupert murdoch. Now its a waste of space, its convient
    that it sit as the first hd sation in the epg, it doesn't clog up space in the middle.
    Currently Charlie stills has no knowlege of any compelling HD.
    When Directv makes their move, perhaps Charlie's memory might begin to think.

14. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    We need a new DBSTalk sub-forum: "E* HD or not HD"

JL

15. waltinvt

waltinvt Godfather

Feb 9, 2004
    That's what gets me - the insult that I'm suppossed to believe this is HD just because they say it is.

Why couldn't something like this be prosecuted under the "truth in advertising" laws ?

Dish shares half the blame here too. They should NOT allow any program in the EPG to list itself as HD unless it really is HD.

Sooner or later the FCC or FTC is going to have to step in here and define what true HD is and start fining signal providers that skirt the edge of deception.:mad:
    WaltinVt

16. C*Tedesco

C*Tedesco Legend

Jan 31, 2004
    Yeah Cyclone, words outta my mouth my freind. I am so dissapointed in TNT and Dish for allowing for such crud.

What's on HBO HD tonight? Anything Good?? Oh...Bruce Almighty...great.

17. krazy k

krazy k Legend

Apr 26, 2003
    And thats why they want me to pay 1000 on a hd dvr that was suppose to have firewire and then 5 months after its been out they say we are not turning it on,
    My question is why should i pay 1000.00 on a hd dvr that has an HD package that is a Joke,
    I cant even watch the Nba finals or Nhl Finals in hd but Law and order is on all day?????
    Until dish comes out with a real hd pac and a real Hd dvr they can
    Blow it out there ***

18. jsanders

jsanders Hall Of Fame

Jan 21, 2004
    DirecTV is no better. They have the same HD pack minus TNT-HD, and it costs $1.00 *more* per month than dish! TNT-HD may not have much HD source material, it is an hd pack bonus, you still get more than D*. Satellite will have more channels in the future, so, I'm not complaining, I will take what I can get.

Personally, I think there are a few real gems in the HD pack. The concert series are good, like the Sheryl Crow concert in HD. True Music is interesting sometimes. Has anyone watched HDNet World report? The segments they have done in Iraq, Russia, Sudan, Palestine/Israel, and Wyoming were superb. HDNet movies has some old stuff, but sometimes interesting. I've recorded "Strange Brew"in HD (film transfer) on my 921! Discovery channel is a little weak, but there is occasionally some interesting stuff. The piece they did on "The Lost World" covering those pits on the table mountains in South America was stunning.

Does anybody know what percentage of E* customers have an HD receiver? If it is 50% of customers (which I seriously doubt) it makes sense to add more channels. If it is 2% then we are still on the early adopter curve. If it is 2% for E* and 50% for D* then something is wrong. We have have more HD channels than D* at the moment (Fox is EDTV still), so I am guessing that the percentage of customer bases is about the same for both companies... As we see the percentage grow, more channels will be added.

BTW, there is no need to say that they need to "Blow it out there ***". If you don't like it, don't buy it. No need to get angry or to incite other people about it.

The 921 is a real DVR. I've had one since January. I haven't had any problems with it since L182. In fact, I had the DirecTiVo HD DVR HR10-250, and I returned that one because I like the 921 better. The HD pack is in its infancy right now. It is a lot better than just having discovery channel HD that we paid $9/mo for last fall. We are competetive with D*, and E* is chepaer. If they want to add another HD channel in the lineup, that is fine with me. I'm sure TNT-HD will improve with time, they have to be competetive with the other channels which will also improve with time.

19. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule! DBSTalk Club

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    :hurah: Well spoken, jsanders! To me, Mark Cuban's HDNet is just about worth the full price of the HD pack. Unfortunately, there seem to be a whole lot of complainers with special interests that are not satisfied by the current package. To them I say, if you are in a DMA that provides OTA HD channels, take advantage of them! Personally, I'd love to be able to get ABC and CBS in high definition. My CBS affiliate is on the air in digital, but not HD. My ABC affiliate is broadcasting the ABC HD programs, but my 811 can't lock on their signal (both channels are broadcasting on temporary permits at low power).
    Let's lobby for Bravo HD as the next HD content provider on Dish.

To the user community as a whole: please remember that not all DBS subscrivers live in major metropolitan areas, and not all have access to alternate sources for TV viewing. Be happy with what you have. The monthly fee for the HD pack is less than the cost of a few beers a week! :D

20. chelsea

chelsea Legend

May 1, 2003
    Don't forget D*'s Spice HD, Thursday thru Sunday nites, 9pm-3am eastern,
    Channnel 85.
    I thought I would't waste my time, untill I first watched the Nooner, very
    impressive picture. Charlie has yet to mention if he's interested in being the
    leader in Adult channels. Spice HD is very compelling HD. Too bad he doesn't
    want to admit he knows of this channels existence.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.