Any news on Smithsonian channel yet?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by satcrazy, Aug 23, 2015.

1. satcrazy

satcrazy Icon

Mar 15, 2011
    Great...
    Why is Dish dragging their feet?

Can't Charlie get over his "tiff" with this provider?

I've blocked all the info, religious, shopping channels, a lot of what's left is getting stale. Thank goodness the weather is still nice enough to shut the dang tv off and go out side.

2. TommyF@DISH Network

TommyF@DISH Network Member

Jan 5, 2011
    Littleton, CO
    We do have an agreement to broadcast that channel, however it has not yet been added to our lineup. You can keep an eye on www.mydish.com/perks/new-channels to see the latest additions.

3. John W

John W Icon

Dec 19, 2005
    Looks like that was part of an agreement reached in December 2014. It is now August 2015. What's going on?

4. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    It was included in the press release as part of the negotiations... but zero news since then. We're left to assume that it will not happen at this point until at least whenever Dish gets finished with their channel shuffling and conversions on Western arc to free up some bandwidth. I wouldn't expect anything sooner than that.

It is a little surprising, though, that no On-demand content has shown up... or at least none that I've heard anyone talk about.

5. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    In the meantime, the Roku does have the channel for free, but the Dish channel may have more programming, but the Roku app is not bad. At least it is a available in some form.

6. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Pity you're missing out. It's a great channel.

7. patmurphey

patmurphey Godfather

Dec 21, 2006
    The app has very limited content.

8. mitchflorida

mitchflorida Godfather

May 18, 2009
    Smithsonian costs about 25 cents a month, and Charlie doesn't want to pay it. I am glad I dropped Dish last December, I now get Smithsonian, Ovation, and Military History Channel.

9. satcrazy

satcrazy Icon

Mar 15, 2011
    Great...
    I pay what? for ESPN that I never watch, and missing a preferred channel for a quarter?

I'd like my February increase of this year reflect justification by broadcasting Smithsonian.

My kids would Love this channel. God forbid they might actually LEARN something.

10. satcrazy

satcrazy Icon

Mar 15, 2011
    Great...
    Thanks anyway Tommy F, but We were told this back in early spring.

11. mitchflorida

mitchflorida Godfather

May 18, 2009
    Don't hold your breath for Smithsonian, it has been several years since Dish dropped it, and it will be several more years before Ergen adds it. We can all agree he is in no big hurry. Oh well, at least you got the El Rey channel, whatever that is.

12. BobCulp

BobCulp Member

Dec 21, 2013
    Colorado...
    ESPN and other expensive channels should be a-la-carte channels; If you want them, pay extra to get them.

I know Dish has a limited space that they can not put up 500 channels. A dish customer survey can fix that problem by selecting 10 channels per 40 category which equals 400 channels. Then Dish can reserve last 100 channel space for movies and sirius xm , cd other music channels plus information channels.

Now we can see channels mentioned in this thread and more.

13. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    The chances of ESPN being offered ala carte is kind of like a snow ball in you know where surviving. The programmers own the programs and they dictate where they go. Right now, if you buy Disney, then you buy ESPN and other channels. The only way that would change if the government got involved to allow ale carte and I do not see it. But in reality, we as consumers may be paying the same for less channels and the price of the channel would probably increase. Dish also needs to make at least $50 a month to keep afloat. There is no free lunch. Everything costs through the nose today and if we want the programming then we pay for it. The streaming package Dish has ($20+) is nice, but several channels I watch are not included and I presume the pq is not as good either.

14. bnewt

bnewt Godfather

Oct 2, 2003
    yes, they added El Rey & Bluegrass Highways, but can't add a channel that is in HD & would have some educational value. Didn't they also drop a channel in the last month or two...........can't remember the name

15. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Probably a paying channel that decided not to pay any longer. The channels that pay to be on DISH change occasionally.

16. satcrazy

satcrazy Icon

Mar 15, 2011
    Great...
    Ovation. It wasn't a bad channel.

I thought something intelligent would replace it, like Smithsonian. There are more cartoon channels than learning ones. I can do without Disney as well as ESPN.

I guess Charlie isn't interested in the "brain drain" TV problem. Always about the $.

The only thing that caught my interest on El Rey is the "directors chair". The rest is geared to pre-pubescent audience.

What is Bluegrass highway?

17. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Smithsonian is testing --- channel 367 (not available to subscribers yet).

18. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    So... could be the first channels we get in HD after the transponder shuffling and Western arc conversions will be HD feeds that are already under contracts but Dish hadn't the bandwidth to put them up previously... like this one, and the recent Al Jazeera America HD feed.

19. dough_boy747

dough_boy747 Mentor

Jun 18, 2004
    Panther WV
    I hope that it is on soon it would be a wonderful channel to have.