1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any painters out there?

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Richard King, Jul 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jul 1, 2005 #1 of 33
    Richard King

Richard King Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    Well, progress is finally being made on the demolition phase of my rebuild from last year's hurricanes. The picture below was shot this afternoon after the crew finished removing about 75% of the trusses that were not removed by the storms. I now have to wait 3 weeks for the new trusses to arrive. I am thinking that I might get in there and paint the interior block walls while waiting. They have been so stained from the time they have been exposed that they will have to be painted one way or another. I would probably go with a generic white paint. The problem is (well a couple of problems) that the walls will be open to the elements until the new trusses, plywood and roofing are installed. The other problem is that the building is 40' wide, 270' long and about 17' high. I have a professional sprayer that I need to get fixed to do this job (I loaned it to two people, both of whom claim the other wrecked it). I have done my share of painting in the past, but not spraying. Is this too much for one old geezer to do in three weeks? Will a white paint hold up against the elements and not need a total repaint after the roof is installed? Any opinions? You can see more of the building here: http://www.pbase.com/rking401/federal_plaza_rebuild&page=all

Attached Files:

2. Jul 1, 2005 #2 of 33
    Laverne

Laverne Guest

Feb 17, 2005
    Anyone else suddenly get a mental image of Richard cruising down the highway in the desert with a stars-n-stripes helmet on?? :flag:

!rolling

3. Jul 1, 2005 #3 of 33
    Richard King

Mar 25, 2002
    Well, it's not a stars and stripes helmet. Me in 1972 somewhere in eastern Pennsylvania on a trip from Minnesota to Virginia. Wow... no beard. :lol:

Attached Files:

4. Jul 1, 2005 #4 of 33
    Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    Precious pic, Richard. Didn't I see you flying down I-10 chasing some biker chicks from East Rockingham-on-Frampton? :D

What is that, a Honda 125? :confused:

5. Jul 1, 2005 #5 of 33
    Richard King

Mar 25, 2002
    Nah, that's a BIG bike, a 350. :lol: I owned a 125 twin at one time and drove it from Minneapolis to the Black Hills one year. Ouch.

6. Jul 1, 2005 #6 of 33
    Richard King

Mar 25, 2002
    You must be speaking of the "East Coast Biker Chicks" :lol:

7. Jul 1, 2005 #7 of 33
    Laverne

Laverne Guest

Feb 17, 2005
    Let's not bring that up again! :nono2: :D

Nice pic, Richard!! :heybaby: IMHO (and I've also seen another old pic of you somewhere ;)), you look better without a beard. :sure:

8. Jul 1, 2005 #8 of 33
    Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    No he wouldn't - just another woman trying to change a man to suit her feminine notions. :rolleyes:

Richard, don't listen to her.* :nono2: Being one of the few peeps here who have had the pleasure of seeing your rugged mug in person, I think your beard gives you a certain Hemingway flair. Why would anyone want to alter (not altar) the handsome visage of one of the true old masters?

*the reason why rugged, independent men like us choose to be single and enjoy the peace and quiet (not quite) life sans continuous feminine accompaniment.

9. Jul 1, 2005 #9 of 33
    Laverne

Laverne Guest

Feb 17, 2005
    Still afraid of my "distaff influence" over these men?? :sure:

Gee, Nick, and just when I was fixing to come back and tell you that you look better with a beard. :grin:

And FYI, I've given up on changing men. :nono2: Now EX-changing them... :shrug: Well, that's another story. ;) :lol:

10. Richard King

Mar 25, 2002
    Wow. Interesting thread. I started out talking about paint and now we have a debate over my beard. :lol: Back in that time my beard came and went a few times. Soon after that it came and remained and has been there since. I wouldn't recognize myslelf if I chopped it off.

Any painters here? :lol:

11. cdru

cdru Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2003
    :backtotop

While not a painter, I would imagine that you could use an good exterior grade paint and it would be fine for 3 weeks exposed to the elements. That being said, you have close to 10,000 sq ft of surface to paint. That's a lot of surface to cover. Plus add in to that the fact that much of it looks unpainted and it's just going to suck up the paint. To make it look good, you are probably looking at multiple coats, or at least 1 coat of a concrete primer and then a top coat.

Your also looking at probably 100-200sqft of coverage per gallon for the unpainted/unprimed surfaces. Thats 50-100 gallons minimum assuming the whole thing wasn't primed yet for just one coat.

Plus 17 foot walls are either going to require a sprayer on a poll, roller on a poll, ladder, or scaffolding. The sprayer probably would be quickest as you won't have to constantly be reloading a roller or brush. But getting it applied evenly may be tricky at the top. Scaffolding or a ladder would also require a lot of moving stuff around.

For safety and efficiency reasons, you might want to farm it out to a professional painting crew. A couple of professionals probably could get it done in a few days with better results and less hassle on your part. Although it would be significantly more expensive as your labor is "free" so to speak.

12. Richard King

Mar 25, 2002
    Is there any kind of trade in value there? :lol:

13. Richard King

Mar 25, 2002
    I would probably do both scaffolding and a sprayer. I look at this project as a challenge and I guess am just curious if I can get it done in the three weeks I have to wait anyway.

14. Laverne

Laverne Guest

Feb 17, 2005
    :lol: Nope. They're pretty much totalled by the time I get through with them.. :sure: :D

15. Patrick_N

Patrick_N Cool Member

Jan 27, 2004
    I used to be a Painting Contractor in my younger days. If you have heavily stained masonry that has debris build up, I would suggest first pressure washing those areas if at all possible. If that is not an option, I would attempt to scrub those areas as best as you can with a stiff broom and some soapy water (rinsing aftwards naturally). Make sure you wait until the washed areas are completely dry before applying any type of paint product on the walls.

I see you have quite a few rust marks on the walls. Plain exterior grade latex paint will not cover those heavily stained areas. You will need to first shoot the area (I would do the whole thing) with a stain/sealer primer product. Your local paint store or home center will carry that. You will be able to find a stain/sealer specially made for masonry.

I don't know what you intend to do with the building, but I would suggest using a paint which has a sheen to it, such as a matte/satin, semi or full gloss product. This will reduce the future amount of scuffs and stains, plus it will make it much easier to clean the surfaces as opposed to a flat paint. I would suggest double coating the walls (after prep and sealer) with a acrylic latex semi-gloss product. You can find everything I mentioned at your local home center.

Good luck.

p.s. Using rolling scaffolding will make your life much easier.

16. Richard King

Mar 25, 2002
    Kilz?

17. ntexasdude

ntexasdude Hall Of Fame

Jan 23, 2005
    The is the original Kilz which is oil based and Kilz II which is water based. I think you have to stick with the paint base that matches the type of primer you use. If you prime with oil you have to paint with oil base and vice versa.

I painted my entire house, inside and out and I'd rather take butt whuupin' than paint. :D I'd get an estimate and if you can afford it then let them do it. That way all those thieving Floridians can steal the contractors equipment and not yours. :D

18. Geronimo

Geronimo Native American Potentate DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    I jsut hope that after all you (and many other Floridians) have been through that this year's hurricanes spare you.

19. Patrick_N

Patrick_N Cool Member

Jan 27, 2004
    You want to use a water-born product for this application.

Here's a link that may be useful: http://www.zinsser.com/subcat.asp?CategoryID=1

It is always best to consult a painting store in your area and give them details on what you're trying to accomplish. You can then take that info and do some detailed searches on products, proceedures and price. You can also contract for some or all of the work. i.e. sub the pressure washing/cleaning. You get the drift.

20. cdru

cdru Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2003
    From what I have read, it's advisable to stick with the same type of paint, either oil or latex, as to what the existing top coat is. However, primer is not the same as the finished top coat. You can use a latex based paint on top of an oil- or latex-based primer.

I remember watching one of those trading-places type shows and they painted an entire room in latex over an oil based paint IIRC. The next day, the "finishing day" they came in and half of it had bubbled up and they would peel off huge sheets of latex "skin" because they didn't bond.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.