1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any predictions on HR24 availability?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by vegasnv, Apr 17, 2010.

1. vegasnv

vegasnv Mentor

Jul 5, 2008
    I plan on picking up an HR 24 as soon as they are available at a store (Best Buy, Costco, etc).

Any thoughts on when I can expect to see the HR 24 in stores?

2. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Some are saying next month is the release of MRV nationally, so probably real soon after that

3. perilous

perilous Legend

Sep 4, 2006
    Sorry...just catching up...what will 24 options be? Prices?? Appears not easily available through D*TV???

4. tkrandall

tkrandall Hall Of Fame

Oct 3, 2003
    we don't know yet. DirecTV has not made any of their recent/current generation HR units model selectable by subscribers. We do not know how they will handle the 24, either as just another model in the random what-will-you-get lease pool, or not.

5. tcusta00

tcusta00 Active Member

Dec 31, 2007
    I would guess early summer, but it's just a guess. I have absolutely no information to back that up.

6. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    The HR24 hasn't even been officially released yet, though they are being installed in 4 test markets as part of MRV testing. I'm sure that production is just starting to ramp up.

I would expect HR24s to be pretty widely available in about 2-3 months, but I also expect that DirecTV will continue the current practice of using whatever they have on hand rather than allowing specific models to be ordered/requested. One of the key points to the lease program was reusing receivers, and that isn't going to stop just because they integrated DECA into the 24's. You're going to see plenty of customers who order an MRV install get older models with DECA adapters.

Expecting anything else is just fooling yourself, IMO.

7. mcbeevee

mcbeevee 97% Complete

Sep 18, 2006
    Judging from past history, I would predict the HR24 will be available from online retailers before they show up at B&M retailers. The HR23 was available at some online retailers, but I never saw one at a Best Buy.

:)

8. Herdfan

Herdfan Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    Which was odd because BB used to seem to want the "newest" receivers. They could not get the orignal HR21 in fast enought to replace the as we now know superior HR20. The then the 22's came out and the 21's were gone. But they seem to have had the 22's for a while and never got the 23's.

Maybe the 24's will be different.

9. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    If I had to make a guess, the pre-24s will probably not be in production much longer .. In fact, it's entirely possible that the production line has already been stopped .. That being said, this comment is purely a guess on my part.

I simply cannot see why DIRECTV wouldn't want to go all-24s at this point .. It will be somewhat in flux as the existing inventory of both new and refurb units is decreased. So, your mileage may vary over the next several months.

10. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    My guess is in the next few months as stores run out of the current HR2x receivers they will get stocked with the HR24s.

But I do not see Best Buy running through their stock that fast, so it might be awhile before your store has to restock depending on how fast they move receivers.

As far as direct from DirecTV? I am with Doug. But keep in mind some like the HR20s have been out of production for quite awhile now and people still get one every now and then. It will take awhile for channels to run through their current stock.

11. MountainMan10

MountainMan10 Icon

Jan 30, 2008
    The installer who wired DECA in my house said all he is getting at this time is HR24s.

12. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    You know that they are gonna ride those old ones until they just simply fall apart during shipping...

13. tkrandall

tkrandall Hall Of Fame

Oct 3, 2003
    Solid Signal emailed me back last week saying H24s in mid May, and no sign yet in their system of when HR24s might come in

14. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    DirecTV has at least 20 MILLION HR2x's out there already, and over a million customers cancel for one reason or another each quarter. That's a LOT of leased receivers coming through the refurb process that are going to go right back out. While I doubt that DirecTV is going to continue *manufacturing* anything but HR24s going forward, they're going to be re-deploying all of those older HD-DVRs for a long time to come.

For the last two years or so, more than half of the HD-DVRs we get to install are refurbs. I'd say we only get new ones between 30-40% of the time. I don't see those percentages changing much once the HR24 is released. Heck, we still get HR20s to install from time to time.

Of course, attrition will eventually reduce the number of the older models available, but it will be YEARS before the HR20-23 models are no longer redeployed.

15. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    I dont know about the stores, but according to Ken in the Customer Advocacy Group at DirecTv, they will be available for lease OR purchase from front line CSRs beginning in Mid May. He did not have a price yet.

16. Movieman

Movieman Hall Of Fame

May 8, 2009
    I can see why you would say that but do you think it would be more likely simple receiver replacements or small home upgrades would get HR20-23's and then all new installations would be HR24's? I even see people with HR20's getting H24's instead of multiple receivers and then DECA upgrades.

17. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Highly unlikely. I don't have the "luxury" of keeping two sets of inventory, one for upgrades and another for new customers. That just isn't going to happen.

18. Maruuk

Maruuk Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Anybody know if the 24s will have a dedicated Slo-Mo button on the remote?

19. MountainMan10

MountainMan10 Icon

Jan 30, 2008
    The remote is the same, except that it can self-program the TV/AV codes.

20. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    It doesn't work that way. Receivers come in once or twice a week. One week you order HD-DVRs and get all new ones. The next week (when nearly all of your old ones are gone), you get nothing but refurbs. That's for a whole DMA or more. And those receivers are all "on a clock", so you have to install the oldest ones, or you'll end up getting charged back full retail for any that expire in your inventory.

Given this system, I can't see the HR24 being treated any differently than past receivers.