Any reason not to hook up mrv via ethernet switch?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Bigriff, Nov 13, 2010.

1. Bigriff

Bigriff Cool Member

Nov 5, 2010
    I have just had a few hr 24s put in, and they are connected to my hr 20 in the basement which was connected to an Ethernet switch, then back into my router. When the tech did the install, he connected the Ethernet to a deca adapter and into the coax. Any reason I can't connect that deca to my Ethernet switch and then the switch to the DVD?

I was thinking this would allow simultaneous mrv and downloadability for on demand. I was going to experiment. But thought I'd ask here first.

Thanks.

2. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    :confused: Not clear what you've had done. I'm lost about the DECA adapter. Your HR20 needed one, so did the installer also add another DECA to connect to your router?
    Is this the one that you want to share by connecting to a switch before going to the router and also connect your DVD player? If so, then this should work fine.

3. Bigriff

Bigriff Cool Member

Nov 5, 2010
    The installer disconnected my hr20 from the router and connected it via a short Ethernet cat 5 to the deca adapter, which connects to the coax. What a want to do is hook both that and the DVD to my Ethernet switch.

4. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Bigriff, there are a few folks here that have done that, but it's not the recommended route. It should work.

Now, the problem .. If you ONLY have one external DECA then you don't have a connection to the Internet at this point. Are you sure there's not another one now connected to your router? It might be black instead of white. If not, then you have your 24s connected (internal DECA) and your HR20 connected (external DECA) and that's it. So no on demand which is what you are looking for.

As a workaround, you can plug the DECA into the switch, then plug the HR20 & your router into that same switch. But you should have had the cinema connection kit installed and apparently it wasn't. It would connect directly to your router (or the switch you speak of) and the HR20 would have it's own connect to the DECA cloud. The workaround won't have that.

5. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    While "unsupported" [on a system that is currently supported by DirecTV], you can add a switch between the HR20 and it's DECA and do what you're asking.
    The supported method, is to have another DECA added for your internet connection. This DECA could go to the switch [then router] and have your DVD player also.
    "Why" you'd want to do it this way is to keep the MRV network free from outside traffic, which could impact how well MRV works for you.

6. Bigriff

Bigriff Cool Member

Nov 5, 2010
    Ok, I think I understand now. If you put the hr 20 into the switch (which is connected to my router) and also connect the deca to the switch, I could be putting the mrv traffic on the switch (but not the router). I can see where this would put some stress on the switch, but it would/should get me an Internet connection to my hr 20 for the purposes of on demand download.

I guess I should call back and ask them to send me a connection kit.

Sound about right?

7. Bigriff

Bigriff Cool Member

Nov 5, 2010
    Sorry meant dvr on my previous post not DVD.

Dvr >> switch >> deca. Switch is also connected to apple tv, denon receiver, pc and uplinked to router in another room. I guess the connection kit essentially connects the "deca network" to my router so that the hr24s get connected to the switch and router too?

That'd give me on demand for all my dvrs.

Thoughts?

8. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    I think you've got it.
    Bottlenecks aren't a good thing for MRV and in your case the HR20. Keeping the HR20 "within" the DECA network keeps out the bottleneck.
    "If" you're not using the HR20 for MRV at the time, "then" the DVD isn't going to impact it. "some" do use a switch before their DVR & the DECA, but they can suffer poorer MRV by doing so.

9. Bigriff

Bigriff Cool Member

Nov 5, 2010
    I just tried to hook the dvr and deca to my switch. Unfortunately, it seems that the dvr held on to the 169.x.x.x ip address, presumably supplied by the deca network. I figured I could reset the dvr and it'd dhcp to the original network (192.x.x.x) but decided to reconnect the deca adapter to the dvr. Mrv works after reconnecting.

I guess I'll request a connection kit, is it free?

10. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Free? You mean like a lunch [that never is]. :lol:
    They want $25 for the kit and may want to have the tech come out.
    You may be able to leverage them to some degree, but it's a crapshoot after your initial install.
    "You should have" asked for the ICK [internet connection kit] during the ordering. "Maybe" you can explain how they should have asked you then and see what they will do.