1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any reason to keep my 4x8 switch?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by Slump Buster, Apr 8, 2011.

1. Slump Buster

Slump Buster DBSTalk Club Member

Oct 10, 2006
    I recently removed a directv receiver from my account so now I only have the need for 4 lines. Is there any reason to keep my non-powered 4x8 splitter in the loop? I was thinking of bypassing the splitter and connecting the 4 lines directly to the grounding block.

Also, if I did this would I have to run the configs on the receivers again? I have the latest dish (installed last month) and 2 HR24's. Thanks!

2. ndole

ndole Problem Solver

Aug 26, 2009
    There's no configuration to change on the HR's if you remove a 4x8 or 6x8 multiswitch. However, if you're really using a 4x8 (or a SAM-6x8 [non-wideband]) I'm surprised that it's working very well at all with your HR24's. Those switches are not designed to carry any Ka (HD) satellite signals :eek2:

3. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    The 6x8 multiswitch is not needed and has almost no resale value.

If you had offed the legacy receiver before they installed the dish, they would have installed a single wire dish and you could have removed three of the cables.

4. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    True;

In fact when I was upgraded to MRV/DECA last year they replaced my WB616 with a SWiM-16 and then removed a cascaded WB68 for a two barrel grounding block on two of the former lines.

They wanted the WB616 back however, but simply left the WB68 lying there right next to the point they removed it from.

5. Slump Buster

Slump Buster DBSTalk Club Member

Oct 10, 2006
    Thanks everyone, I thought I'd ask first as the switch is in a hard-to-get place. I did remove it (I believe it is a WB68 6x8) and all is well.

I've been an extremely happy customer for 14 years but it didn't take more than one or two bad experiences with installers for me to realize that I needed to keep their involvement to an absolute minimum.