Any recent update that would cause HDCP issues?

Discussion in 'Hopper System Support Forum' started by Dmtalon, Jul 14, 2014.

1. Dmtalon

Dmtalon Mentor

Nov 9, 2007
    My current AV setup went live in early 2010. I use an Octava 4x4 CAT5/6 HDMI Matrix in the basement to transmit A/V to my main and bedroom TV I have a couple year old Hopper and two Joeys. The week of July 4th (On like July 2nd) My TV's that go through the Matrix started having issues connecting to the hopper through my current (and assumed stable) setup.

I'm getting "no signal", then a green screen w/sound, and eventually picture and sound. Once it's working it appears to be stable. I'm currently waiting on a call back from Octava, but was wondering if anyone has experienced similar issues (with or without extended range connections) since the beginning of July. For example, my main TV also goes through an AV receiver, and when I turn it on/off I have to endure the no signal/green screen/signal cycle.

It would appear that is is directly related to going through the matrix as my Joey's connect fine w/o any green screen. At both TV locations I am experiencing the same symptom as well as with a 3rd TV that I lugged to one of those locations to test with.

My best guess is a Handshake/HDCP issue, but any insight would be appreciated.

2. andrewe@DISH Network

andrewe@DISH Network DISH Representative DISH Representative

Jun 25, 2014
    Colorado
    Hi Dmtalon.

It doesnt quite sound like a HDCP issue. If it were, you would be getting a DISH error message on your screen. If Octava does not have a solution, checkt to make sure your Hopper is not rebooting when this happens.

3. Dmtalon

Dmtalon Mentor

Nov 9, 2007
    Thanks for the reply!

The Hopper is not rebooting. There are no error messages that see on screen. I did take this extremely boring video of me turning on and off my AV receiver.
    http://youtu.be/G82_jC8VFvk

My other TV that is not connected through an AV receiver also does the same thing when switching inputs.

4. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    If your AVR has an HDMI Standby Pass-through enabled or disabled, monkeying with this (or resetting the AVR) may be what changed. This may also happen when you do an AVR firmware upgrade and things get set back to factory default.

HDMI handshaking says that everything is off until a least common denominator of output devices is determined by the switch that then signals the source and then the floodgates of both audio and video are opened as negotiated. There probably shouldn't be any middle ground where one medium works and the other doesn't.

That said, it seems like the Hopper has an affinity for green when things aren't going well.

The secret is to isolate each and every component (probably starting by taking out the switch) and see what doesn't cause the problem. Remember that having the switch set to output to multiple displays brings any issues with either into mix.

5. Dmtalon

Dmtalon Mentor

Nov 9, 2007
    Again, thanks for the reply. I did get in touch with octava today and they are going to send out a loaner switch, so I can send mine in to have it looked at. Unfortunately "removing" the switch from the equation is not really possible unless I move the tv's into the basement next to the hopper itself.

Hopefully it turns out to just be a bad piece of hardware that is replaceable vs. some software glitch or gremlin.

6. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    I vote bad switch.

7. Dmtalon

Dmtalon Mentor

Nov 9, 2007
    We're going to see... They are going to send me out a loaner switch so I can send mine in... For now, it *appears* that port A works ok on my bedroom TV (not through an AVR) and for my Main TV I just moved a Joey from the bedroom tv to it and hung it off the back of the AVR. So I'm in business "for now" even though its not ideal.