1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any reviews/beta testers for 622?

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by Danny R, Jan 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Danny R

Danny R Goblin the Pug DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 5, 2002
    Be nice to actually read some reviews (from actual installed units, not just show displays) before many of us order the item come Feb 1st.

I know Dish has a history of releasing products that only become really functional a year or so out and first responders are the true "beta" testers. But usually (like with the 942) we at least got to see some "alpha" testers such as Mark giving reviews before the general public got their devices. Is that not going to be the case this time?

2. Jeff McClellan

Jeff McClellan Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    I do know this, this unit has gone through a vigorous testing program. I have a feeling the 622 will be a very stable and enjoyable unit.

3. Feb 1, 2006 #3 of 27
    spykedvodka

spykedvodka Legend

Jan 31, 2006
    942 rocks. so hopefully this unit will be good too

4. Feb 1, 2006 #4 of 27
    tegage

tegage Legend

Sep 3, 2005
    It seems to me that the 622 is pretty much a 942 with mpeg 4. If that assumption is true, I don't see why it won't be a stable unit.

5. Feb 1, 2006 #5 of 27
    P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    If anyone from you have been in developing embedded software, then you'll tell us using much minor tone. New chip was always a challenge.

6. Feb 1, 2006 #6 of 27
    James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    The units are different enough that it isn't a trivial change.
    It looks like they started with a 942 and said let's make an MPEG4 box that can do that and more.

It's like Microsoft looking at Macintosh and saying "we can do a GUI" or having an artist paint a portrait of a portrait. Development starts near scratch with just a good idea. (Although they do have a sound unit and software to look at and no further royalty problems that looking at someone else's work would bring).

7. Feb 1, 2006 #7 of 27
    Ron Barry

Ron Barry 622 Tips & Trick Keeper

Dec 10, 2002
    Actually James I dont' think that analogy is too accurate with the 942. P. Smith is correct that it is not a trivial as one would think. Changing out a hardware component on a system is not a trivial task. It is easier if it is pin by pin compatible, but even then there are timing issues and other gotchas that pop us.

Yes the 622 is based of the 942 code base and it is very easy to look at UIs that look the same and come to the conclusion that not a lot of work was needed. Great example of this is the new Mac on the intel. I am sure there was a ton of work just to get the Mac UI running on the Intel platform. I would consider this a better analogy although the 942 to 622 transition in my guess is in a smaller scale. The microsoft analogy is more of taking idea and starting from scratch.

So what does this mean in terms of stability. You have an excellent foundation to work from (the 942). You have built up experience 721, 522, 921, 942 and now the 622. Lot of lessons learned. Time will tell how good the 622 does and hopefully we will see soon what people think of it.

Danny... I understand the need for information and experience on the 622. Hopefully information will start to flow in.

8. Feb 2, 2006 #8 of 27
    spaceopera

spaceopera Cool Member

Jul 29, 2005
    omg the people that think the 942 is a good piece of hardware are really drinking the cool aid. The fact of the matter is if the 942 was released to the mass market like a vcr the company would be out of business. The only and I mean the only reason it is not is because there is no competition. If you want a tri-tuner with the ability to record a very modest amount of hd programming then that is want you will get. The ui is awful and there are software bugs and hardware bugs like the one where my hdmi goes black every 45-90min for 2-3 seconds. The 622 may have fixed these and many other issues I sure hope so but they may not have. But make not mistake about it you are buying a 622 you are buying early adopter hardware and poorly made software and if you want dish hd you have no choice you will have to live with it. Trust me I curse this box almost nightly. But, what are you going to do? P.S. I think it is really sucks that we have to wait till april to get upgrade.

-Gene

9. Feb 2, 2006 #9 of 27
    tegage

tegage Legend

Sep 3, 2005
    I respect your opinion, but I disagree. I love my 942. I find it easy to use and it works flawlessly. It was my favorite purchase of 2005.

10. Patriot12

Patriot12 Cool Member

Feb 2, 2006
    I would love to have these questions answered by someone who has one of these:

1. Are the HDMI and Component outputs for TV1 both hot (active) at the same time?
    2. Does the HDMI output carry digital audio?
    3. Will the TV2 Remote be able to change TV1 channels?
    4. When it down-converts HD shows to TV2, are they still in a 16:9 format?
    5. Does it work with VOIP telephone service?
    6. What is the Ethernet connection going to be used for?
    7. Can you buy this and subscribe to ala carte programming (i.e. just HD)

11. Slordak

Slordak Hall Of Fame

Dec 17, 2003
    Many of those are excellent questions, Patriot12.

I'd also like to see someone comment on what actually comes in the production version of the box, particularly in terms of cables (DVI-D to HDMI cable, for example, or HDMI to HDMI cable?).

12. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Based on the very similar 211 and comments made:
    1) Yes - All outputs always active.
    2) Yes - Audio is present
    3) Yes - In single mode
    4) SD can be letterbox or full screen
    5) Yes - If your VOIP is good
    6) E* doesn't know yet
    7) If you can find someone to sell it to you - There is a $6 fee for not having a basic pack and a $5.99(?) charge for locals (if you want EPG for OTA) that apply. They need an HD only package that bundles it - perhaps for $29.99.

13. tomcrown1

tomcrown1 Hall Of Fame

Jan 16, 2006
    I was a beta tester for Webtv on the Dish player. Any beta tester who is dumb enough to tell you his or her expereince with the unit is leaving themselfs open to
    alot of law suits.. Whenever you agree to Beta Test a unit the company have you sign a confidently agreement.

14. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    That's why I my comments are based on the 211 and the descriptions E* has provided on their website and through press releases. There isn't any answer there that can't be found with a 'search' of DBSTalk.

15. spaceopera

spaceopera Cool Member

Jul 29, 2005
    tegage,
    you can respect my opinion and disagree but the fact of the matter is the box is flaky and the software is poorly designed to not let someone who is thinking about buying a box and investing 1k+ with lease and everything is irresponsible. The person requested information about the 622 and a few people mentioned that they have had no problems with there 942 which is basis for the 622. There are many well documented issues with the 942 just because you have not come across them in the usage of you 942 does not make the issues any less real. If I had know of all the issues before I plunked down my money I probably would have gone the d*tv root I would have know what I getting into being that is a Tivo which is by and far a superior interface.

-Gene

16. Ron Barry

Dec 10, 2002
    Ok guys.. This is the support area and as such no bashing is allowed. This area is designed to discuss issues in a positive light. If you want to discuss your opinions on how flaky, how poorly designed the software is or whose interface is suprior please do so in the general forums.

Lets keep it positive here and and any posts that the moderators consider fall into the rock throwing bucket will not be tolertated here and posts containing such rocks will either edited or removed without warning.

I will let you guys clean up your posts if you like, otherwise at the end of the day I will remove the rocks.

17. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    I disagree. In a relatively modular platform like the Unix based Mac, the conversion may just be a matter of firing the UI code up on a new platform. The Unix side provides all of the hardware services and the UI uses them abstractly. The code was more than likely written in a higher level language (as opposed to PowerPC assembly language) making it significantly more portable than Pee Cee software that goes around DirectX.

It is typically a priority with device designers to maintain a substantial level of compatibility with previous generations and since the differences are strictly in the decoding engine, I would imagine that the devices are nearly pin compatible. Aside from some unique features like VoD, I would imagine that the code base is the same as the 942.

18. Ron Barry

Dec 10, 2002
    That has not been my experience within the companies I have worked for when hardware changes occurred, but I am sure it depends a lot on the hardware changes themselves.

Since I don't work for Dish or Apple I am not sure how much code differences there are so you might be correct. I was mainly using the Apple example because it was a it is migration to another hardware plateform and personally I doubt it was just the fact of firing up the UI. If it was, kudos to the MAC team.

19. Patriot12

Patriot12 Cool Member

Feb 2, 2006
    3) If TV2 remote can't change TV1 channels, then why are they even bothering putting both TVs on the modulated output. Not much good if you have to go to the receiver to change TV1 channel.
    7) Are ala carte people getting the extra channels when Dish adds them with no price increase? I imagine there will be alot of HD channels coming our way soon. Just trying to do a cost analysis between leasing and buying.

20. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    3) Do you want your kids at TV2 changing your channel at TV1? Having it modulated sounds cool so you can watch "whatever's on on the HD" elsewhere in the house. And if you replace the 5.3 IR remote with the 6.3 UHF remote you should be able to control TV1 wherever TV1's remote is.
    7) Current ala carte people will be able to continue to get the channels they are paying for (but nothing more until they upgrade). The pricing I gave was based on new packages.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.