Any update on the Big Ten Network?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by iublue, May 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iublue

iublue Cool Member

Dec 10, 2006
    It has been a couple of months since the last post about the BTN. Is there any news about whether Dish is going to pick up the BTN?

I have been with Dish for years and now I am looking to get HD but I want to be sure that Dish has the BTN before I sign up for 18 months more. I can't have a system if I can't get Hoosier basketball.

You must have your priorities - VBG.

2. Richard King

Richard King Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    Go Gophers. :lol:

3. Elistan98

Elistan98 Legend

Sep 18, 2006
    Go Bucks

4. nmetro

nmetro Godfather

Jul 11, 2006
    According to yesterday's Columbus Dispatch, the Big Ten Network is struggling to get cable companies to pick up the network The cable companies in Columbus have yet to do so. The article mentioned that they had 40 smaller companies signed up plus DirecTV. The big guys like Warner, Comcast, etc.; not yet.

The article mentioned that Ohio State will have one conference and one non-conference game on BTN. I suspect all the other schools will also have the same arrangement. Of course, one "agreement" with BTN is that the games shown on BTN will be exclusive; that is, the game will not be picked up by a local broadcast outlet (this was done with ESPN+) games.

In addition to football, many basketball games will also be shown under the same arrangement. The article, and previous articles, did not specify how Full Court and GamePlan will be affected by this arrangement. So, one hopes that Dish picks up BTN, so there are no issues with theses packages.

Finally, the BTN wanted to establish themselves as a regional network, so it is possible, but remote, that BTN will only be broadcast in states that comprise the Big Ten. But, this too, may fall by the wayside as the more subscribers they are able to get, the more money they will be able to get.

As with everything else with sports today; it is about the money.

So, GO BUCKS to all those buckeyes out there.

Nick

5. DCSholtis

DCSholtis Up The Irons!

Aug 7, 2002
    http://www.madison.com/wsj/home/column/oates/index.php?ntid=130586&ntpid=7

FYI. There will be no more Game Plan or Full Court for Big Ten Games.

6. Slamminc11

Slamminc11 Hall Of Fame

Jan 27, 2005
    As far as if Dish is going to carry this channel, it is all speculation at this point, and because this site apparently doesn't allow speculation, asking if Dish is going to carry it would be moot.

7. Codeman00

Codeman00 Godfather

Dec 13, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    I'm happy to see that there won't be any Full Court or Game Plan anymore. The last few years I would pay the full price for Game Plan and maybe get one games use out of it. Full Court was only good for the Big Ten season and worthless during the non-conference schedule. I hope Dish picks this up.

8. Codeman00

Codeman00 Godfather

Dec 13, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    I received an email yesterday from the Big Ten Network about how things are going to work with their channels, game coverage, etc. If you haven't done it yet, go to their website and sign up to get updated emails from them.

http://www.bigtennetwork.com/

As far as if Dish has decided to sign with them...all I know is they are in "negotiations". I'm going to ticked off if Dish doesn't sign up with them. I'll pay for the service, just make it available to me is all I ask!

9. nmetro

nmetro Godfather

Jul 11, 2006
    After reading the latest update from the BTN, they are rather ambitious if they think they can pull it off. The basics, if a game is not on ABC, ESPN or ESPN2, then only BTN will show the game. This confirms what ran in the Wisconsin State Journal several weeks ago.

BTN plans to provide either multiple feeds or broadband broadcasts of the games. Considering that most folks do not have good high level broadband access, this alternative would not be pleasant. As for multiple feeds, this will occur if there are more than one game going on at the same time. If one lives in Ohio, they would get Ohio State, depending on what part of Illinois one lives in the would get Illinois or Northwestern, etc.

As for GamePlan, because ABC, ESPN and ESPN2 show regional and national games, I suspect that that regional games will not end up on BTN, but in GamePlan. So, if you live in Colorado and ABC is showing a Big 12 game locally, but they are also showing a B ig Ten game in Ohio, then GamePlan will provide access to the ABC Big Ten feed. Now, if BTN is truly the exclusive carrier for Big Ten football, then those who cannot get BTN will be lucky to see one or two games for their favorite team in a given year. That will sure make Alumni happy won't it?

Let's just hope by 1 September that Dish provides BTN (and its multiple feeds) and that the question about GamePlan is clarified. As it stands today, there are several issues that need to be resolved. Also, if the Big Ten does not clear this up, the revenue flow to the Big Ten is going to take a big hit.

Go Bucks

Nick

PS If Dish doesn't act soon, then folks may be giving DirecTV a closer look. Especially with today's announcement of adding nearly 15 HD channels comming this fall.

10. tomcrown1

tomcrown1 Hall Of Fame

Jan 16, 2006
    Hopefully Charlie will have something to say about this on his next chat.

11. Jim5506

Jim5506 Hall Of Fame

Jun 7, 2004
    Let's see...that might just about catch them up with Dish, assuming Dish does NOTHING in the mean time.

12. Codeman00

Codeman00 Godfather

Dec 13, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    I received an email from Dish today saying the following

"Although we have been in discussions to add Big Ten Network to our lineup there has not been a definite agreement. Because this channel does not launch until late this summer we do not have any further details. More specific information should be available closer to the launch date."

13. mhowie

mhowie Legend

Sep 30, 2006
    Don't hold your breath. I think Charlie is ok with allowing every sports channel to wind up (exclusively) on DirecTV. Only if something is guaranteed to make him more money will he do it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.