Any update on when these items are going public?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV - Special Request Legacy Items (private)' started by Spanky_Partain, Dec 20, 2008.

1. Spanky_Partain

Spanky_Partain Active Member

Dec 7, 2006
    Just wondering if anything has been mentioned. Do we need to prepare a first look on these things?

My SL3-SWM has been flawless.

2. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    The SWM8 units have been out and written up....not sure about the SL3-SWM....

Glad to hear yours is working well. :)

3. LameLefty

LameLefty I used to be a rocket scientist

Sep 28, 2006
    Middle...
    The SWM8 with the version 2.x firmware and library? Are you sure our units are public? If so, why do we still have a private forum to discuss them?

Mine's still working great, by the way. :)

4. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    The SWM8's are public....of course not the ones we have been testing with the v2.x firmware.

In earlier reports...that firmware was not supposed to have anything major changed from previous versions.

Nonetheless....it would appear we have a consensus that both the new SWM8's and SL3-SWM's have been solid.

5. LameLefty

LameLefty I used to be a rocket scientist

Sep 28, 2006
    Middle...
    So here's a question I really doubt I'll get any kind of answer for but . . . :) Is there any kind of "secret" or hidden functionality in these SWM's that is not present in earlier versions? If so what is it? :)

More realistically, if not, why are we still secret? These things work great! :confused:

6. Spanky_Partain

Spanky_Partain Active Member

Dec 7, 2006
    My guess would be cost reduction on the newer units. In most cases that is a driving force and sometimes that also creates a little engineering with more common parts or a little design change to verify placement/procedures etc.

7. MasterChef

MasterChef Godfather

Mar 31, 2008
    My SWM-8 continues to work great. Not a single hitch once I installed it.