Any updates to HR24 coming?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by guins, Apr 14, 2015.

1. guins

guins Mentor

Sep 12, 2007
    I was wondering if Directv is planning on upgrading the HR* platforms? Is anything in development? Release dates? I love my HR24, but the interface is tired and outdated. My girlfriend has DISH and the interface seems fresh and modern with lots of color and logos, etc. Still love my HR24, but it needs a face lift.

2. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    DirecTV is now providing the Genie products (HR34 / HR44) as the latest devices. However the interface and menu are pretty much the same as the HR24. I would not expect any new HR2x series products, and I would not expect a significant change in the user interface.

There are many considerations in who you choose as a service provider. User interface is one. Channel availability is one. Cost is one. Look at all the factors and decide what is best for you.

1 person likes this.
  3. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    DIRECTV seems to be putting lots effort on its genie platform. Is very unlikely that the dual tunners DVRs will ever see a refresh any time soon, if ever

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

4. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Agreed.

They seem to be completely heading to an one server and multitudes of wireless clients. Which would not be bad if the server storage was backup in a cloud, but it is not.

Personally, I consider this 'new' direction to be a step backwards for the end customer.

5. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Feb 9, 2008
    I agree- Lose the server and everything else is gone -till replaced :blackeye:

6. MrWindows

MrWindows New Member

Oct 12, 2010
    Phoenix,...
    I wouldn't expect any new dual-tuner models to come out; there is no need now that Genie is widely available. DirecTV is in replacement mode for the dual-tuner DVRs. I had an HR21 go out last week (hard drive failure). My daughter was a bit disappointed to lose whatever silly shows she had recorded on their, but at least I have a list from the Series Manager from a month or so ago. DirecTV replaced it with an HR24. I also have an HR23 and an HR34 in my system.
    Something to keep in mind is that DirecTV has two interfaces available, their own and TiVo, which has several enhancements not available on the standard boxes. While the TiVo interface has it's own issues, I wouldn't be surprised if there is a TiVoGenie announcement in the near future.

Having a cloud backup would be a nice feature, and it wouldn't be terribly difficult to implement. DirecTV already knows what shows you have recorded on your DVR, so they easily keep a database of those shows a la NetFlix available in the cloud and download them to your replacement box upon activation, along with your Series Manager subscriptions. This would be a huge value-add.

1 person likes this.
  7. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    I would not expect any new DirecTV TiVo products......

8. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    That they haven't implemented any manner of backup to date suggests that it isn't terribly trivial. While it may be programmatically quite easy, I think it likely contractual hurdles. Where DISH has implemented archiving, they've done so in a way that insures that there is only one copy of each recording and that's clearly not a backup (although you can obviously create more than one recording of most programs).

9. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Not enough HR34s left for TiVo to write to? ;)

10. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    If the server was a simple multi-tuner chip in a box with SWM in and network out; no video output capability, no fan and an external power supply while it won't be failure proof it certainly won't be failure prone. It could combine the PI, GenieGo and CCK in a single box the size of the current PI-29. This would be preferable for those of you who want backup capability or more storage, since you aren't restricted to a single drive the Genie comes with. You can add a box that contains more than one disk, for protection and/or storage.

If they update Genie to support NAS so you don't need to plug in storage directly, you would theoretically be able to point it at cloud storage though if you can add as much storage as you want that's RAID protected there's probably not much point. If only Directv were owned by a company that has been doing networking for more than half a century, things like that might happen :)

11. CraigerM

CraigerM Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2014
    St. Louis
    I wonder how soon it will be before DTV says the main HD DVR in the home will have to be a Genie and not just an upgrade? Then if that happens will DTV decide to phase out all legacy equipment or still let it be connected to a Genie DVR? Or just have only SWIM based equipment hooked up to the Genie?

12. slice1900

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    It will be a very very long time before Directv phases out non-Genie equipment, if they ever do. They haven't even phased out SD only receivers that are over a decade old. You can see where they are going 'someday' by watching what they do for new installs. New installs are HD only, SWM only. If at some point in the future they won't install H2x or HR2x for new customers, you'll know those will be phased out, but it would obviously be many years later before they forced existing customers to drop them.

13. Yakuman

Yakuman New Member

Sep 12, 2009
    Polvos...
    I think the receiver considered "main" or "primary" is just an accounting quirk. Also, as far as legacy equipment goes, I think HR2x receivers aren't going anywhere within any foreseeable future. They can communicate with a CCK and do whole-home, so they should be around a long time.

14. mjd180

mjd180 Cool Member

Dec 21, 2010
    Really?

15. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Yes

16. slice1900

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Well peds48 or one of the other installers can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think they are installing a legacy LNB for people who get a single receiver or DVR any more. That the newer equipment is SWM only clearly shows that is their direction - despite the chipset used in the H25 and Genie being fully capable of legacy operation. It was disabled in software, it is not a hardware limitation.

17. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    All new installs are SWM only., regardless of type and quantity of receivers

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

18. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Feb 9, 2008
    Yes-They are SWM only installs - And Legacy LNB would be required on any New Install or Upgrade that requires 9 or more Tuners -Still making it a "SWM" install.

19. b52pooh

b52pooh Cool Member

Mar 10, 2011
    Southern Oregon
    There is a hardware limitation in that the Genie only has one tuner input, so I cannot see it handling 5 legacy inputs.

20. slice1900

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    True, making customers run four coaxes to an internal multiswitch would have reduced the uptake of the Genie considerably :)