1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any UPS Tracking experts here?

Discussion in 'The OT' started by MikeW, Dec 31, 2010.

1. MikeW

MikeW Hall Of Fame

May 16, 2002
    I ordered a USB modem from T-Mo on Monday. Below is the tracking info so far...

It shows that it arrived at a routing facility on 12/28 at 6:51 AM and didn't leave until 10:30 PM. A total of 15 hours at one facility. It then took less than an hour to get from Dallas to Mesquite TX. There, it appears to have been sitting for 20 hours before leaving Texas. There have been no more updates in two days. Is this really how inefficient UPS takes care of packages with a 2-4 day delivery? I ordered a phone for my daughter from AT&T on Tuesday and she had it yesterday. They used FedEx.

MESQUITE, TX, US 12/29/2010 8:37 P.M. DEPARTURE SCAN
    MESQUITE, TX, US 12/28/2010 11:21 P.M. ARRIVAL SCAN
    DALLAS/FT. WORTH A/P, TX, US 12/28/2010 10:31 P.M. DEPARTURE SCAN
    12/28/2010 6:51 A.M. INCORRECT ROUTING AT UPS FACILITY
    12/28/2010 6:51 A.M. ORIGIN SCAN
    US 12/27/2010 6:06 P.M. BILLING INFORMATION RECEIVED

2. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Could be a combination of inefficiency and bad timing.

I know there is a lot of inefficiency at UPS...

but, it is also possible for any given package to arrive at an inopportune time.

Consider... if they are trying to fill planes for each particular shipment... a package that arrives just after the last plane was filled will wait until the next plane arrives and is filled... whereas another package might arrive at just the last minute and fit on the plane about to depart.

So a matter of minutes can result in hours of difference.

3. Go Beavs

Go Beavs Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2008
    Portland,...
    That "incorrect Routing at UPS Facility" might have something to do with the delay...

When viewing the tracking screen, what else does it say about it? UPS usually has a status indicator like "In Transit" and then they give an estimated delivery time for your shipment. That might tell you when you can expect delivery.

4. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    UPS = Usually Poor Service around here.

The tracking info means it was sent to the wrong transfer center location.

5. MikeW

MikeW Hall Of Fame

May 16, 2002
    It was scheduled for 12/30 but now says In Transit for delivery on 1/3. Not happy that it spent 36 hours sitting in TX and one of those hours it actually moved somewhere. I get the feeling the box is going to Phoenix on Monday, and will be in Tucson on Tuesday for home delivey on 1/4.

Not a big deal. I just don't understand all the idle time. Stewart's analysis seems to be the only logical explanation.

6. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    I suspect that your AT&T package was sent via overnight, not FedEd ground? Kind of an apples and oranges thing.

Dallas to Mesquite on MapQuest is a 25 minute drive (unless it is the Mesquite near Lubbock - a 5h 45m drive - but most likely it is the suburb).

As far as tracking --- I don't trust the times 100% ... origin and incorrect routing being the same time? Most likely the incorrect routing was found later and the time attributed isn't right.

I've had stuff sit in a sort facility before. 2-4 days can be 2-4 days .... especially when they are busy or make errors (such as the incorrect routing). And on a week with a holiday 4 days is a week (weekends don't count).

I suspect your next report will show the package a lot closer to you - arrival in your regional sort center then "out for delivery". Unfortunately with the weekend that would be Monday.

7. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    I've had UPS packages show up at the local general routing facility "Oakland" Then make it's way to the local delivery facility "San Ramon" and leaving for my house all in the same day. In fact, here's the routing I got for a package I ordered just before Christmas. (Didn't expect pre-Christmas delivery)

Code:
    12/29/2010 17:45:00 	DELIVERED[D] 	PLEASANTON, CA, US
    12/29/2010 05:48:00 	OUT FOR DELIVERY[I] 	SAN RAMON, CA, US 	
    12/29/2010 05:00:00 	ARRIVAL SCAN[I] 	SAN RAMON, CA, US 	
    12/29/2010 04:23:00 	DEPARTURE SCAN[I] 	OAKLAND, CA, US 	
    12/29/2010 01:09:00 	LOCATION SCAN[I] 	OAKLAND, CA, US 	
    12/29/2010 00:32:00 	UNLOAD SCAN[I] 	OAKLAND, CA, US 	
    12/28/2010 11:31:00 	ARRIVAL SCAN[I] 	OAKLAND, CA, US 	
    12/28/2010 01:44:00 	DEPARTURE SCAN[I] 	BALDWIN PARK, CA, US 	
    12/26/2010 14:09:00 	ORIGIN SCAN[I] 	BALDWIN PARK, CA, US 	
    12/27/2010 23:25:24 	BILLING INFORMATION RECEIVED[M]
    I ordered 12/23 but it didn't actually "Ship" until Sunday (which is a head scratcher) and arrived via 3-day delivery on Wednesday. It doesn't look like it actually left until Monday, though.

The 17:45 delivery time was actually pretty early. A package from UPS earlier in the month arrived at 20:06.

8. Groundhog45

Groundhog45 Hall Of Fame

Nov 9, 2005
    Cedar Park,...
    Incorrect routing does occasionally occur. I had a box get delivered to Texas, then misrouted to another state, and then back to Texas before getting sent down to Austin and delivered. I think the problem there was also in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area. Two days longer than estimated. I would guess the holidays and all of the transportation problems in part of the country would have an effect on things all over the country.

9. photostudent

photostudent Godfather

Nov 8, 2007
    Many times watching tracking info is like watching sausage being made. Looks like it is on schedule to arrive within the 2-4 business day window. I am sure you would not like to know what the working conditions were like at the factory in China where the phone was made!

10. MikeW

MikeW Hall Of Fame

May 16, 2002
    Both methods were "free" to me which made them seem similar. AT&T most likely cuts better deals with FedEx than T-Mo has with UPS. Either way..you are right...apples and oranges. Luckily it is not critical that I have it in my hands until I hit the road again.

11. fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    This is what happens during the holidays when UPS is forced to hire a number of temps to not only assist the drivers but to work as loaders & in the distribution centers.
    There was a time with UPS that a screw up like that would mean you probably could kiss your package goodbye.

12. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    UPS is usually pretty good around here. But if it isn't sent 2-day weird things can happen. I've seen a "ground" package sit in Oakland or San Francisco while a 2-day comes in, leaves and is delivered, then the ground shows up the next day. Not real efficient use of the driver's time.

Fed-Ex used to be awful. Now they aren't bad, though surprisingly frequently we've had two trucks with different drivers make deliveries on the same day usually less than three hours apart.

13. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    They move the package that will cost them the most money if late.

The local UPS center has two busy periods during the day ... the morning when the trucks arrive from the nearest airport and regional ground distribution center and the evening when the delivery trucks return with packages that need to leave town.

In the morning the top priority is the overnight guaranteed by x:am packages. Yes, theoretically they could grab a ground package going to the same location or a neighbor but that slows them down. They need to get the guaranteed packages to where they need to be ... so the first delivery run is normally guaranteed morning delivery packages only.

Then they make the second delivery run ... which is ground packages to businesses and the guaranteed afternoon delivery packages. These need to be delivered while the businesses are open and late business deliveries can cost more than just refunding the shipping (lost future shipments). Priority customers win.

Then they make the third run ... which in this area is home delivery. It isn't odd to see the UPS truck at the neighbors at 6:50pm as they finish up the day's delivery.

Of course UPS knows what packages are in the system ... so they can bump a package to an earlier run when it makes sense to do so. Attempting to do it all in the morning would be overwhelming ... and the important guaranteed by x:am packages would be delayed.

The second half of the challenge is center to center transportation ... getting a package from where it entered the system to where it needs to exit efficiently. Getting the air packages out first and the ground ones sometime before the deadline.

In my area FedEx is centered 20 miles away (at the airport) ... so the service is lower quality. My father in law uses both and has a love hate relationship with both. I normally choose UPS and ship ground when sending stuff (unless air service is needed). USPS is probably the most used carrier lately ... looking for cheaper rates not faster service ... yet I've still been happy.

14. longrider

longrider Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Apr 21, 2007
    Elizabeth, CO
    The two truck situation is easily explained. Unlike UPS which has one driver for a given area, FedEx has 3! There is Express which handles all air freight, Ground which handles ground freight for businesses, and Home Delivery which handles ground freight for residences. While theoretically Ground and Home should never overlap, I have had both (plus Express) come to my business, however it is usually due to a shipper mistake

As a bit of trivia the separation happened because FedEx got into the ground freight business by buying a package delivery company and rather than merging the systems they just renamed the purchased company FedEx Ground.

15. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    I usually try to use UPS over FedEx whenever possible. I have had loads of issues with FedEx and the one time I had an issue with UPS, the CSR I dealt with on the phone explained everything to me and was apologetic. With FedEx, I've had numerous items delivered to the wrong address (and FedEx insisting that I had it or that I gave the wrong address when the address on the shipping label was correct) and they will repeatedly move back the delivery date and then insist it was always that date.

My last shipment via FedEx, left from a facility here in VA and went up to MD. It went back and forth between two facilities there and then just stopped. They also kept moving back the delivery date. If I hadn't been checking the tracking, I wouldn't have seen that it wasn't going to be delivered. When calling FedEx, I was told that there was an issue with fraud so it was sent up to MD. The CSR told me that it had been flagged by the company shipping me the product. When I called the company, they had no idea what FedEx was talking about. Turns out there was a typo in my zip code, however, the attitude and the false info I received from the FedEx CSR was ridiculous.

I'll stick with UPS whenever I can.

- Merg

16. houskamp

houskamp Active Member

Sep 14, 2006
    ups has been great here.. I always know when it hits Chicago or Ohio it will be here next day..
    last FedEx shipment was delivered 2 blocks away.. luckily a nice person brought it over to me.. had paid for overnight delivery and they couldn't do anything to get it till following Monday.. I was furious.. told them to call the idiot and make him come back in to work and fix it :D

17. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    After 11 years of using FedEx ground and getting over 100 larger packages to their destination without a single issue....and doing so at 60% less than the Post office and 40% less than UPS....they're the only folks we'll ever use.

Happy New Year!

18. yankeevert

yankeevert Cool Member

May 17, 2008
    UPS will leave the package on my porch. Fed-Ex will not do that and they can't give you a window for delivery.They always tell me 8am to 8pm.UPS truck is like clockwork always in my sub between 4 and 5 pm. I won't buy from anybody using Fed-Ex. No way I am going to waste a day sitting home waiting for a delivery.

19. hdtvfan0001

Jul 28, 2004
    Actually...that's not accurate.

FedEx will indeed leave a package if instructed to do so...in fact, I've had dozens and dozens delivered that way. You can also specify a signature-only delivery, as well as a designated signature required (like a neighbor if you're not home).

With FedEx Ground...I also like the ability to track the steps to delivery online. I've used all of those capabilities repeatedly, and they've never failed once.

By the way, I have senior exec friends who work for UPS...and I can't repeat what they tell me...but let's just say they don't use UPS themselves all the time either.

20. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    FedEx delivery in NJ is usually done by contractors who have FedEx trucks. Don't quite understand how that works, but I know that in my area a woman has the franchise and our deliveries are usually very quickly completed. The big plus with FedEx is that it delivers on Saturdays. UPS doesn't.

I do most of my shopping for my "toys" on amazon.com and happily pay the $79 yearly charge for Prime Shipping. That's two day shipping and I usually get my order in two days or the day after I order it. There are times when it takes three or four days, but that's usually because Amazon has to get it from another company and that's where the time is lost.

Factoid: In NYC the most parking tickets written are for FedEx and UPS trucks. I think they actually build the cost of the tickets into the shipping costs.

Overall, I'm very pleased with the service of both FedEx and UPS.

Rich