1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any way to access ToDo or Prioritizer with no satellite signal input?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by l8er, Jun 12, 2009.

1. l8er

l8er Icon

Jun 18, 2004
    Is there any way to access the ToDo list or Prioritizer on the HR2? series when there is no satellite signal input to the receiver?

I was surprised to find that pressing menu with no satellite signal input brings up only two choices - Signal Strength or Satellite Setup. None of the regular choices like Manage Recordings are available.

The only thing I can find that still works with no satellite signal input is the List of already recorded programs - which you still have access to.

Thanks.

2. cmtar

cmtar Icon

Nov 16, 2005
    I dont believe there is but I may be mistaken

3. barryb

barryb New Member

Aug 26, 2007
    There is not. Your receiver must be getting a signal to view programs, todo lists, prioritizer or anything besides what you are seeing now.

4. Drew2k

Drew2k New Member

Aug 16, 2006
    There actually is a way, but it will take some digging through saved posts for me to verify it.

If nothing has changed in recent releases, I think if you go to Setup > Saetllite you can then press MENU and will see the option for Manage Recordings.

Try that out and I'll search my notes in the meantime ...

5. l8er

l8er Icon

Jun 18, 2004
    I don't see a way to get to Setup if you can't access it through the Menu button. :confused:

6. Drew2k

Drew2k New Member

Aug 16, 2006
    Sorry l8er - I can't find my notes, but I know there *was* a way at one time to do it...

It may have involved use of the Playlist's yellow button to get to the To Do list, but that is gone now.

Whatever the process was, it involved "backing" in to the Manage Recordings screen.

I did just think of ONE thing to try: If you can still get to your playlist, press INFO when you find a program that was recorded from a series link. Then arrow RIGHT to highlight the prioritizer entry in the details, click SELECT and hopefully you're taken to the Prioritizer...

Other than that, sorry ... I'm out of ideas until I can find my "scraps" of helpful tidbits...

7. pfp

pfp Whatever

Apr 28, 2009
    if you can get to the playlist and any item on the playlist is part of a SL then there is a link at the very bottom of the description that takes you to that item in the playlist. Not sure if it will work in this scenario but this might be what you are thinking of.

[​IMG]

8. Drew2k

Drew2k New Member

Aug 16, 2006
    I did put that in my post above to go tot he Playlist INFO Prioritizer link, but thanks for the image - always worth a thousand words! :up:

9. dave29

dave29 New Member

Feb 18, 2007
    Hold down the "info" button(while it is searching for satellite) until the menu pops up. (I'm pretty sure that's it)

10. l8er

l8er Icon

Jun 18, 2004
    That worked! Thank you kindly.

11. Drew2k

Drew2k New Member

Aug 16, 2006
    Glad it worked for you!

I guess the lesson is always leave at lease one recording from a series link in the playlist - you never know when you need that "back door" to the Prioritizer! :p

12. drill

drill Legend

Jun 28, 2006
    of course, the best solution would be for directv to not require a satellite signal to use the DVR. they have specifically chosen to limit funtionality without the signal. its quite annoying when companies do things like this.

i used to take my directivo with me on vacation to catch up on stuff i had recorded. i can't do that with my HR20 because it reboots every 30 minutes looking for guide data.

13. dreadlk

dreadlk Hall Of Fame

Sep 18, 2007
    I did a test of this last night, I reset the receiver with the cables disconnected and then tried to watch a recording. After 1 hour it had not reset, I then watched a movie and after 2 more hours it still had not reset! It seems that Directv fixed the problem with the last update.
    I wii start a thread and see if people can confirm this.

14. Drew2k

Drew2k New Member

Aug 16, 2006
    There is still a timeout where it will require receipt of a satellite signal, but they extended it much longer than 2 hours. I don't know the upper limit, but it will shut down after a period if it does not receive a sat signal.

15. drill

drill Legend

Jun 28, 2006
    try rebooting more than once. iirc, when i was trying this, the first time i booted it up, it worked fine for quite a while ... maybe 8 hours or so. it complained every so often about not having a signal, and i would just cancel the dialog box. after about 8 hours, the receiver put a dialog on the screen that complained about no signal, and only gave one option ... restart. after that restart, the reboots were every 30 minutes or so. its been a while, so i don't recall the exact details.