Any way to get PBS in HD?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Shrunken Head, Mar 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shrunken Head

Shrunken Head Mentor

Mar 15, 2007
    Probably another dumb question.....

I just got my HR20 with the hopes of getting locals in HD.
    I now get the local Fox, NBC, ABC and CBS in HD.

I still don't get PBS in HD.

Does DirecTV offer PBS in HD?

2. armophob

armophob Difficulty Concen........

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    Until they start restoring Lawrence Welk, Nova or thier pledge drives in HD, there may not be any point. I don't even think they are using HD cameras on any of the concerts. :confused:

Am I off here? Is there any PBS programming that would benefit from HD? I never watch myself. I am a constant NPR supporter, but PBS left me behind years ago.

3. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    I have to use an off-air antenna. It turns out that CPTV(Connecticut PTV) has its
    HD tower 4 miles from me. It's also the OA I can get with out going high off my
    roof.

Mike

According to CNET, these are the shows that are currently in HD.

From http://www.cnet.com/4520-7874_1-5119938-1.html#pbs
    PBS
    Shows: Highlights include American Masters; Austin City Limits;
    Frontline; Tracks Ahead; Chefs A'Field; Soundstage;
    American Experience; Nova
    Sports and specials: N/A
    Resolution: 1080i

Mike

4. dhaakenson

dhaakenson Legend

Jan 13, 2007
    I get Soundstage in HD. They just replayed a concert by the group "Garbage" in HD this weekend. It was excellent. Received it OTA.

5. armophob

armophob Difficulty Concen........

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    I stand corrected. I was not aware PBS was keeping up with the times.

6. rdr

rdr Cool Member

Jan 19, 2006
    Do a search for rdr. You will reach a thread I started on PBS. Some information there.

7. mr1213

mr1213 AllStar

Feb 12, 2007
    I have been watching Nova and other PBS shows in OTA HD for at least two years, both from Cincinnati, Ohio and northern Kentucky stations. For the past year these have been on Time Warner Cable, Dish Network, and DirecTV, also.

8. JayB

JayB Legend

Mar 19, 2007
    So you're saying I'll get 48 in HD when my HR20 is installed Saturday? Cool! I'd checked DTV's site and they only listed 5, 9, 12, and 19 as being in HD. I was pretty bummed when I thought I wouldn't get Nova in HD.

9. Nick

Nick Charter Gold Club Member DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    I get PBS HD from my Comcast cable provider and it is excellent! It has a totally
    different slate of HD programming and very watchable. I would say that PBS HD
    is on par with (or better than) DISC HD and NGC HD, but without the commercials.

10. houskamp

houskamp Active Member

Sep 14, 2006
    Check www.antennaweb.com and see how far your PBS station's towers are from you... OTA is the only current way to get pbs in hd...

11. Just J

Just J Crivens!

Oct 11, 2006
    I think what everyone is saying is that DirecTV will most likely not provide PBS in HD from the satellite. But, with an appropriate off-the-air antenna, if the PBS station in your area is broadcasting in digital, the HR20 will be able to tune to that station and record/display any HD content provided.

12. houskamp

houskamp Active Member

Sep 14, 2006
    ding ding ding we have a winner :)

13. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    If it's like "out here" PBS-DT will "knock you socks off". PBS SD...snore

14. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Is your PBS channel 6 or 9?

15. gabe23

gabe23 Legend

Mar 6, 2007
    I've been underwhelmed with PBS-HD so far. Here in Raleigh, they have a special deal with TWC where cable subscribers get the HD channel all day, but OTA is only available in HD from 8-11 every night. And during those hours, most of the programming is actually letterboxed SD. It still looks very good, though, and the true HD content is good quality. But there just isn't enough of it, and I'd say on average I DVR no more than two shows a week. Their OTA signal is also considerably weaker than the other towers the same distance away, and on their site, they seem to be encouraging people to get TWC. In their defense, TWC apparently helped them get their HD broadcast up and running.

For what it's worth, Soundstage and Austin City Limits, two programs that I'd most like to get in HD, are usually letterboxed SD. My friends with TWC have told me that they always get them in HD. I have supported PBS in the past, but they're not getting a dime of my money until they offer OTA viewers the same content as paying cable subscribers.

16. HarleyD

HarleyD Hall Of Fame

Aug 31, 2006
    Channel 3-5 (WEDU-HD) in the Tampa Bay market is HD. Some of the content is upconverted but a good portion (most?) is true HD also.

17. HarleyD

HarleyD Hall Of Fame

Aug 31, 2006
    Sometimes I think I'd rather have commercials in 3 minute bursts every 12 minutes than the 15 minutes of begging I get every hour from PBS.

Although that canvas tote bag you get for a $500 pledge is pretty appealing... :heybaby:

18. leww37334

leww37334 Hall Of Fame

Sep 19, 2005
    Remember JUSTJ, the HR-20 doesn't scan for channels, so PBS must be showing up in the guide data, when you do the OTA local network setup. The OP might want to go through Local network setup before installing an antenna, Just as a precaution. Also, after checking antennaweb, he/she might be able to use an indoor antenna.

19. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    IF the OP is "looking for" PBS 6 or 9, their HD is in D* database.

20. MikeR7

MikeR7 Icon

Jun 17, 2006
    Here where I live they never do fundraising on the HD subchannel(1 of 5) I get OTA. They recently changed the line up so that the HD subchannel only broadcasts after 7pm. I think they only have so much HD content, and were running a lot of the same stuff over and over. I do enjoy the PBS HD content though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.