1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any way to prevent losing paused video when changing channels ?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by mworks, Mar 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mworks

mworks Mentor

Oct 8, 2007
    If I'm watching tv and pause it, then come back to watch what I missed and accidentally change the channel on the remote, I lose what I had paused.

This has happened to me several times and it is really upsetting if I paused a movie and then miss 30 minutes of it because I accidentally hit the wrong button on the remote. When I had a Dish DVR it would ask you if you wanted to change the channel when you were watching something that had been paused.

Is there anything like that on the Directv DVD ?

2. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    The Record button is your friend ..

3. mworks

mworks Mentor

Oct 8, 2007
    And is not a solution to the problem.
    If I pause a channel where I intend to watch it for the next couple hours , each hour a different program coming on, I would have to set it to record each program separately or make sure I got back before the current episode ended so I could press record again.

Then go through the trouble of deleting everything that was recorded.

4. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    The main function of a DVR is to record shows. It's not necessarily intended to watch several live shows in a row. If that's how you normally watch TV, it's possible a DVR isn't for you. If I have several shows on the same channel I want to watch, yes, I record them all. That way I can skip through the commercials at my leisure, pause whenever I want and even go watch something else and come back to it later.

In your case, it's not that hard to pull up the guide and hit the record button 2 or 3 times (covering the next several hours), if you are in fact watching several shows on the same channel.

5. mworks

mworks Mentor

Oct 8, 2007
    The function of a DVR is also to pause live video without having to tell it to record the program. To rewind back something you just saw , etc.

So you are saying I should just record everything I watch while I go answer the door or let out the dog ?
    Then why even allow pausing of live tv ?

Both Tivo and Dish get the idea that if people pause tv they generally want to watch what they paused so don't erase it when someone hits the a channel button.
    Dish says something like "You are currently watching a time lapsed program, change the channel ?" " Yes or No
    I was hoping direct had something similar.

6. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    This is the way the HR2x works .. If you are watching something, pause it, then accidentally change channels, the buffer is lost. If you want to guard against that accident, then the record button is your friend .. If you want to live with the accident because the solution is worse, then you can do that as well.

7. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    That would annoy the crap out of me, but then again the channel button is nowhere near the play button, so the odds of me accidentally changing the channel are pretty slim.

I pause and return to live TV all the time without any incident. Sorry you're having so much trouble.

8. wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    Sure - you're asking for "Dual Live Buffers", available only on TiVo. We used to have it as D* subscribers, but lost the functionality when Hughes sold D* to Rupert Murdoch.

9. dcowboy7

dcowboy7 Hall Of Fame

May 22, 2008
    Pequannock, NJ
    solution = dont accidentally change the channel. :grin:

10. dgobe

dgobe Legend

Dec 8, 2008
    Sometimes I'll surf to another channel at a commercial break, forgetting that I was in the buffer. When I pop back I'll have missed things I wanted to see. It's rare, but it happens.

So I can see a case being made for a warning when changing channels when you are in the buffer. Especially without DLB and for people coming from other systems. It takes a while to get "trained" in the ways of the HR20.

11. djanis3

djanis3 Cool Member

Aug 15, 2006
    As many here will point out and some already have . . . If the almighty DirecTV doesn't offer a feature to you, it means you weren't meant to watch TV that way.

12. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    I often pause a channel to answer the phone or door bell or to get another drink. The pause and resume buttons are some distance away from the channel change buttons, so it's rather difficult, IMO, to "accidently" change the channel when paused. That's not to say I haven't done so once in a great while.

As someone else mentioned I would be more annoyed by seeing a "do you really want to change the channel?" message. I get enough of that kind of stuff with my computer.

13. EricJRW

EricJRW Icon

Jul 6, 2008
    Keller, TX
    Glad that got mentioned... <DLB link>

If I know I'm going to step away, I do typically hit the record button... Mostly a better safe than sorry move... Too many weird things could happen (including the wife deciding to change the channel), may as well use the record feature.

I think the suggestion of pulling up the guide and hitting record on a few slots is your best bet... I've gone through a bit of a learning curve with this, my first DVR, too.

14. hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    Woulda, shoulda, coulda.

If you want to avoid the problem NOW, hit the record button. I do it all the time for the reasons expressed above.

If features change in the future, fine. In the mean time, there is a solution that involves hitting one button. It doesn't solve every situation, but goes a long way to solve the typical manifestations of the problem.

Under current circumstances, refusing to use the Record button smells of not taking Yes for an answer.:)

15. ssandhoops

ssandhoops AllStar

Dec 2, 2007
    Not a solution. Even with DLB, you still lose the buffer of the channel you have paused if you change it.

16. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    To expand on the above post, it is possible to dump the buffer on a DirecTV TiVo. You're recording a show on one tuner and watching a live show on the other. If you hit the channel button it will change the channel on the non recording buffer and thus dump what you were watching.

17. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    I’m not sure that’s an accurate characterization.

I’m just guessing here but I think DirecTV might be trying to find the best mix of features to attract the largest number of subs as possible.

A feature that isn’t there might just mean they haven’t gotten to it yet or it might be part of another larger feature set.

I don’t think it’s fair to say that DirecTV what we are and aren’t meant to watch. I’m just sayin’. :grin:

To the OP, you’re right, a function of a DVR is to pause live TV and go back to it.

The problem is we don’t have access to both tuners so the only option is to press record when we pause for any length of time.

In my case I’ve also chosen a remote with a button layout that works well for how I hold it and use it. I’ve had problems before with some remotes (not just DVRs) with buttons in inconvenient locations.

I’m not in anyway saying this relates to you. I’m just saying there are alternatives.

DLB would definitely help with this but I don’t see that happening anytime soon. Nor is it fool proof. ;)

Mike

18. paulman182

paulman182 Hall Of Fame

Aug 4, 2006
    I've never had a TiVo and don't want one. This has nothing to do with TiVo.

But once you've paused an HR2x, if you accidentally change the channel at any time--not just while paused, but after you resume playback also--you lose the buffer.

If my wife gets a phone call five minutes into a two hour movie and pauses for 30 minutes, she loses thirty minutes of the movie if the dog jumps on the remote, or she drops it, or picks the remote up in a careless manner, or anything else happens to accidentally change the channel.

Heck, I might even forget I am behind and change the channel for a second or two, for some reason.

I know we can record everything we watch and solve the problem. I do that for really important things. However, I would respectfully submit that an on-screen reminder that we are watching from the buffer when we try to change the channel would be helpful to some of us.

19. dbronstein

dbronstein Hall Of Fame

Oct 21, 2002
    It would be great to have a warning as an option. Then those who would like the extra protection from losing the buffer would have it, and those who would see the warning as an annoyance could turn it off.

20. erosroadie

erosroadie Godfather

Jan 9, 2007
    In my house, it's the kids who change the channel on me during a bathroom break. I have learned the best way around this is to hit the Record button before leaving the room. Never had a lost show session since...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.