Any way to stop ESPN app popup?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by spiketoo, Jan 13, 2019.

1. spiketoo

spiketoo Cool Member

Sep 24, 2007
    Appears in the lower right corner when accessing ESPN channels. Something about using RED button to install app or enhanced features or something. I can hit EXIT or just leave it and it will dissapear after 15 seconds or so, and then reappear smaller and eventually disappear. Really annoying.

Read another thread I think from 2017 where someone was having a similar issue on ST or something and was informed Menu\Settings\Notifications\TVEnhancements would end the issue. Sadly, I do not have a Notifications setting that I can find on my HR54-500 under 0x114b.

Much obliged.

2. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Shot in the dark. If you install the app it will probably not pop up any more.
    I believe that is an enhanced version of Score Guide that is internet based.

3. ejbvt

ejbvt AllStar

Aug 14, 2011
    VT
    That is not what it is. It is the ESPN TV App with extra videos and extra feeds of games and some games from ESPN3 online that are not on the linear TV channels.

The new guide removed the ability to turn those things off.

You can't stop the popup unless you watch TV on a client which doesn't support the app. Installing it and then closing it doesn't make it stop. But then, on a client, you'd probably get the scoreguide popup like on the other sports channels. At least that one only comes up once when you tune there it seems.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
  4. spiketoo

spiketoo Cool Member

Sep 24, 2007
    The only reason I have the box connected to the net is to utilize the enhanced scoreguide. Don't really use any VOD. Wondering if removing box from internet would resolve the issue, but don't think I want to lose the enhanced scoreguide.

5. ejbvt

ejbvt AllStar

Aug 14, 2011
    VT
    It definitely would stop the popup. You would lose all of the internet capabilities, including enhanced scoreguide, on-demand, ESPN app, channels 354, 799, 800, 1117, 1205, local forecast on 362, TV apps, and more.

6. spiketoo

spiketoo Cool Member

Sep 24, 2007
    TBH, I dont know what those other channels are other than 362 and the fact that Cheddar cant seem to figure out that yes, I do have an internet connection. All of my TV apps are actually on my TV - what a concept eh (SonyZ9D).

The only thing I use the interent for is the enhanced scoreguide to get hockey scores in-progress as some RSN's will display the standard scoreguide, and some won't.