1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any word on negotiations for CSN Philly yet?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by patman99, Apr 2, 2010.

1. Apr 2, 2010 #1 of 38
    patman99

patman99 Cool Member

Mar 20, 2009
    I'm like Jack Johnson here - Sitting, Wishing, Waiting :bang

2. Apr 2, 2010 #2 of 38
    n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    I wouldn't imagine we'd hear anything until an agreement is done, if ever. I am sure both sides won't discuss this while negotiations are going on. I don't even know if D* will even tell us if negotiations are occurring.

3. Apr 4, 2010 #3 of 38
    wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    Negotiations? You think C* will let this one die - I can almost promise you they'll go to court over this one.

4. Apr 4, 2010 #4 of 38
    espnjason

espnjason Armchair Referee

Sep 30, 2008
    Well, my hopes of watching Roy Halladay's opening day start on the CSN-Philly feed are pretty much diminished at this point. C* is purely to blame on this one.

5. Apr 4, 2010 #5 of 38
    sunfire9us

sunfire9us Godfather

Feb 15, 2009
    Go ahead and give up!!!! There wont be no CSN Philly this year. Comcrap will do everything they can get away with first trying to get away from letting DishNet or DTV being able to carry their rsn. They are still trying to argue the legality of the FCC closing the loophole if Im correct. You're prolly talking atleast 1-2 years before this crap is over and there is a chance of CSN Philly ever being avail on DTV

6. Apr 4, 2010 #6 of 38
    n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    Phillies opening day game is on WPHL-17.1 (for those of you in Philly) and on WLYH -15.1 (for those of you near Harrisburg). I'm not a Phillies fan but thought I'd let you know.

7. Apr 4, 2010 #7 of 38
    JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    But do they plan to pull the same crap with the nbc channels and if they do how fast will the courts put a stop to it?

8. Apr 5, 2010 #8 of 38
    sunfire9us

sunfire9us Godfather

Feb 15, 2009
    Anything to do with NBC has nothing to do with the rsn's like CSN Philly. Comcrap was arguing that the FCC didnt have the right to close that loophole which they were using to keep CSN Philly from having to become avail on competitors. NBC's transmissions are all via satellite not local like CSN Philly so you're talking two different things between the rsn vs NBC.

9. Apr 6, 2010 #9 of 38
    LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Don't look for a resolution to this for a long time to come, there is lots of legal wrangling ahead.

In the end Comcast will surrender, as they really have no choice.

Also, don't think for a second the what is going on with these Comcast exclusive rsn's isn't directly involved in their purchase of the NBC properties.

While generally speaking the Congress is made up of incompetents, a few of the brighter ones have figured this one out and have let Comcast know in no uncertain terms that their actions with regard to these RSN's will have a direct effect in how the Congress looks at the purchase of the NBC properties.

10. braven

braven Hall Of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    As a Capitals/Orioles fan, I for one hope they never carry CSN out of Philly. Blech.

11. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    Huh? Will they be forcing you to watch it, too?

12. 1980ws

1980ws Legend

Mar 18, 2008
    Longwood,...
    Depending where you live, you may get both. You just don't want to lose the Caps & Orioles, right?

13. tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    I doubt anyone would lose whatever RSN they get now if they add CSN Philly. Many areas, especially in Pennsylvania and New Jersey and Delaware (the CSN Philly footpring) have multiple RSNs either on satellite or cable.

14. 1980ws

1980ws Legend

Mar 18, 2008
    Longwood,...
    I'd love to know if Comcast is even open to negotiations. I'm negative enough to think this is really a dead issue. For the Pythonheads:

E's not pinin'! 'E's passed on! This parrot is no more! He has ceased to be! 'E's expired and gone to meet 'is maker! 'E's a stiff! Bereft of life, 'e
    rests in peace! If you hadn't nailed 'im to the perch 'e'd be pushing up the daisies! 'Is metabolic processes are now 'istory! 'E's off the twig! 'E's kicked the
    bucket, 'e's shuffled off 'is mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisibile!! THIS IS AN EX-PARROT!!

15. jpl

jpl Hall Of Fame

Jul 9, 2006
    Whether they are or not open to negotiations will soon be moot. The FCC closed (more or less) the loophole. Once the appeals process is over, and once the court challenges (which are inevitable) are done, as long as the FCC decision stands, Comcast will HAVE to hand over CSN Philly. They'll have no choice in the matter. Well, DirecTV will then have to go to the FCC and file a complaint specifically for that channel. The FCC will then have to assess whether or not DirecTV's petition has merit (which they will), and at that point Comcast will have to hand the channel over.

At least it appears that Comcast is open to offering up their other local channel - FiOS today added TCN (The Comcast Network). They only have it in SD so far (there are plans to include HD at some point, from what I understand).

16. patman99

patman99 Cool Member

Mar 20, 2009

I can tell you that C* told Congress they would not appeal the FCC closing of the loophole.

17. braven

braven Hall Of Fame

Apr 9, 2007

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

18. jpl

jpl Hall Of Fame

Jul 9, 2006
    No, that's not correct. Comcast has decided not to appeal a court decision governing a different FCC regulatory change. The other change also affected proprietary programming, but it wasn't about the loophole.

19. braven

braven Hall Of Fame

Apr 9, 2007

I live in the Harrisburg area. I don't want to lose the Caps & Orioles, I also don't want to have to subscribe to MEI or NHLCI. I already pay enough so I don't have to watch the Eagles/Steelers every Sunday.

Hopefully we'd be able to have both. :D

20. patman99

patman99 Cool Member

Mar 20, 2009