Any Words of Wisdom

Discussion in 'Hopper System Support Forum' started by SDWC, Nov 8, 2016.

1. Nov 8, 2016 #1 of 14
    SDWC

SDWC AllStar

Dec 14, 2005
    I have scheduled an installer for this Friday to upgrade from my existing Hopper 2 to a Hopper 3, and to look at my two Joeys to see if going to wireless makes sense. I don't have a 4K TV and don't have any plans to swap out existing TVs for awhile.

I was just wondering, any suggestions or "gotchas" I should make sure I mention to the installer that would benefit me in this process? Maybe something they would do only if asked? I don't know if there's anything but I see many have already upgraded, perhaps there's some tribal knowledge floating around from other's experiences that would be helpful to know ahead of time.

I've already done the basics, moved my recordings to my external HDD and backed up the timers. Also have read that's it's a good idea to hang on to the old remotes.

Any feedback greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

2. Nov 8, 2016 #2 of 14
    tylorert

tylorert Active Member

Sep 7, 2016
    Grayslake
    Wireless is a bad idea, It yould be best to have it wired!

3. Nov 9, 2016 #3 of 14
    BillJ

BillJ Icon

May 5, 2005
    I have 3 wireless joeys running off a Hopper 2 and they work great. I could not hardwire them in this house. A bonus is the ability to easily move those 3 TVs within the room or even to another room.

1 person likes this.
  4. Nov 9, 2016 #4 of 14
    Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I'll bite... why do you say wireless is a bad idea?

Outside of, I believe, the wireless Joeys not currently supporting 4K... I can't think of a reason to not use them unless you have known issues with Wifi in the home.

5. tylorert

tylorert Active Member

Sep 7, 2016
    Grayslake
    The wireless air space has been getting cluttered in the recent years. More interference.

6. dmspen

dmspen Hall Of Fame

Dec 1, 2006
    Los Gatos,...
    Since I'm contemplating this same move, I have pondered these questions too.

Wired is more reliable. I have a wired Joey in one room where the wifi signal is awful. Fortunately I have a cable.

If you have an external drive, make sure you can access it before he leaves.

I've seen posts about the new basic Hopper 3 remotes. Some don't like them. Try to keep the old one. Ask for a voice remote. I think they'll want to charge you though.

7. SDWC

SDWC AllStar

Dec 14, 2005
    Thanks to all of you. I will try to report back here how my experience goes.

dmspen: I appreciate the suggestions, especially about the HDD and the wireless. I have FIOS for Internet and the signal throught my house is pretty strong. I may rely on the installer's opinion as to what to do with the Joeys. My Joeys are the orignial model and are conected via coax and not ethernet, so we shall see how it ends up. As for the remote, on my main TV in the family room I use a logitech harmony rather then the DISH remote, so I expect to continue that.

8. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    As a general rule IMHO, if you have coax already stick with that. Wireless is for places that running coax would be cost prohibitive or look ugly, or cant even be run, or needs constant mobility...

9. wje

wje Godfather

Mar 8, 2006
    New England
    As with many things, there is no 'best' generic answer. Wireless is fine if you're in a low-congestion area. I am, a rural setting. I run two different wireless nets with separate access points configured to use different channels. One is for general connectivity, one is for media streaming. I easily and consistently get 300 mpbs for 11N connections. But, if you're in a city, the spectrum can be pretty saturated and wireless won't work particularly well. I stream Dish on-demand, Netflix, etc with zero problems. But, I don't have a Joey. I'm assuming it's streaming the MPx stream.

A nifty (but somewhat pricey) tool to help you sort it all out is Inssider from MetaGeek dot com. It's basically a spectrum analyzer that's designed for the wifi spectrum. The basic version doesn't actually look at the radio spectrum, it just gets data from your wifi card. The pricey version has a real rf spectrum analyzer dongle. (usual disclaimer, just a user, no other relationship to them). Worked wonders for me even with my relatively isolated environment.

10. SevenSixTwo

SevenSixTwo Member

Feb 7, 2016
    My wireless Joey worked great and I have a ton of stuff on my wifi. Don't hesitate on the wireless.

11. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    If you have coax OR can run it easily, then certainly... I'd opt for wired too... but in places where it isn't convenient, it's well worth trying the Wireless Joey to see if it works for you.

12. SDWC

SDWC AllStar

Dec 14, 2005
    Thanks again to everybody for the feedback. Please bear with me, I'm by no means a techie but basically the install was very smooth. Total time was 2 hours to swap out Hopper 2 to the Hopper 3, change the Joeys from the original to Joey 2.0 model. Original installer was due around Noon but following My Appointments on the website showed that he kept getting pushed back, all the way to a 4:30 PM arrival time. So they swapped in a different tech and he arrived 2:15 PM, that was a positive.

He tested my signal strength, replaced the node by the dish, and we spent most of the time talking about his adventures as an installer while waiting for software downloads and firmware updates. Transition very smooth, existing cabling did not need replaced. Hooked up my EHD and my OTA module, all working great.

Before he left, he gave me a list of all the products and services they're now trained and authorized to perform. Such as mounting brackets. TV installations and setup, home theater, and wireless networking. He even said, believe it or not, that they are going to be trained soon on how to service Samsung washing machines.

Overall, good experience, great technician.

13. Bitspitter

Bitspitter New Member

May 8, 2015
    I have 2 wireless joeys and they're great. Remember that due to the access point, the Joeys are on their own network. No contention with your home wireless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. dmspen

dmspen Hall Of Fame

Dec 1, 2006
    Los Gatos,...
    Don't forget repairing cell phone screens!