1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any you iPhone guys selling out for an EVO ?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by TBlazer07, May 16, 2010.

1. TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
    My 3GS is gone ($700 on eBay, cash is in the bank) and I'm already in line. :lol:

I will miss GSM but I can always go back when the next new toy comes out. It will nice not dropping 50% of my calls for a change. I've been borrowing a Sprint phone to check coverage and I'm good everywhere I need it.

If when Apple announces the new iPhone and it is substantially different (minimum 3.9" screen) than what has been leaked I still reserve the option to change my mind but I think we've pretty much seen the next model.

For those of you not familiar with the EVO, it's the new Sprint HTC Android phone with 4.3" screen, 720P recording, 8mp camera, HDMI output. I had a chance to play with one at a Sprint store in the "back room" for about 5 minutes and it was quite impressive. Been using an older Android device (MyTouch 3G) for the last couple weeks and have been having a blast with it flashing all kinds of ROMS from various other newer Android devices.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M59rt8RSkD0

2. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    Over all I have been pleased with my 3GS, but I am fortunate that AT&T coverage has been rock solid in S. Fla.

3. TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
    My AT&T coverage is great, no complaints there ...... but calls still drop even with a full signal. I'm less than 3 blocks from an AT&T tower.

4. Herdfan

Herdfan Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    Seriously? Who would pay that?

5. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    It is a 3GS with no contract, if it was one not updated and unlockable, that adds to the value.

Plus, a guy I know that sells stuff on eBay says a lot of Europeans are buying stuff, the Euro is worth more.

6. TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
    Some guy in Baltimore. :) Someone else I know just sold theirs for $800.

They were "jailbroken and more important unlocked" which you can't do anymore on anyone manufactured since late last November OR which had 3.1.3 installed on it which makes them much more valuable.

The person who bought mine was sending to her husband in Iraq.

7. Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy Hall Of Fame

Apr 8, 2009
    Just when I had just about decided to get an Incredible, this thing is coming along. :mad:

8. TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
    Yea, I looked at the Incredible and it's real nice. What made the difference for me is Sprint is SO MUCH cheaper for "apples to apples" comparison of costs that it made it a no brainer for me..

$69.95+$10.00 "EVO upcharge ripoff fee" for 450 minutes (I use barely 100/month) with unlimited text and web plus I get 25% off that. :) Even without the discount it a lot cheaper.

9. islesfan

islesfan Hall Of Fame

Oct 18, 2006
    Nevada
    I've been with Sprint for many years and I recommend it to everyone. I almost never have dropped calls (and I commute 120 miles a day over open desert). The customer service is the best I have ever dealt with anywhere! Also, it is much cheaper than the alternatives. About the only problem I experience is at work where there is no Sprint coverage, and I am roaming on Verizon. That was no problem with my treo, but a month after I got a Pre, Verizon noticed the data usage and blocked all roaming data in the town. (Yep, I inadvertently screwed it up for everyone, so if you are cruising along I80 in Nevada using your Sprint Navigator and it cuts out on you for awhile, that was me and my Pre that caused it.)

As for the EVO, just one caveat. They are plannng to charge extra for the 4G capabilities of the EVO, even if you live nowhere near a 4G network. I wouldn't go for it just for that. There will never be a 4G network where I live and work, so why pay extra for it. I'll stick with my trusty Pre.

10. Garyunc

Garyunc Godfather

Oct 7, 2006
    I tried Sprint once and I was not even able to even place a call from my house so I scratched them off my list permanently.

AT&T coverage is not great but I would only sell my iphone to get a new iphone....

11. Lee L

Lee L Hall Of Fame

Aug 15, 2002
    There eare some nice phones out there right now, thats for sure. GIving the iPhone somre real competition and beating it in many ways. I am waiting to see what they announce, especially if they go to Verizon as my ATT service here is not too good. However, with all my Apps, I am kind of locked in, though many of them could move to a iPod Touch I suppose.

12. TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Grumpy Grampy

Feb 5, 2009
    Eh ! The $10 wasn't presented properly when they announced it but I wouldn't (won't) NOT get it for that. I've been paying through the arse to AT&T even with a 19% discount with my iPhone the last 3 years but even with the $10 it will be less. I look at it like the DirecTV MRV fee. If I want the service/phone I'll pay the price (besides, my 25% off doesn't hurt either :) )

Also, everything I've read about their 4G doesn't make it look so great even if you have coverage so even though there will never be 4G here (20 miles from NYC) I don't care.

After playing with an unlocked T-Mobile Android phone on AT&T (2G only) since I sold my iPhone I have really got to like the Android O/S. Reminds me of the old Palm Treo days when you can be free to do what you want with it.

The iPhone was fun, but it's time for a new toy that I can modify as I like and that 4.3" screen is just maaaahvelous!

13. CoriBright

CoriBright Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

May 30, 2002
    Maybe you're just toooooo close!

14. wingrider01

wingrider01 Hall Of Fame

Sep 9, 2005
    have great coverage from ATT in the midwest also, will stay with the Iphone, probably will buy a no contract 4G when they release next month to replace ths 32GB 3GS I have and put it in reserve in case of problems