Anybody Else Get a Neilsen Buck?

Discussion in 'The OT' started by SayWhat?, Nov 3, 2015.

1. Nov 3, 2015 #1 of 17
    SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    Got some spam yesterday via snail main. Fresh crisp Washington.

Letter babbled something about a survey regarding radio. Gave a phone number to call or a web address to go to. I snorted as I tossed the letter. I haven't had a radio on in well over 5 years. I don't even know what stations are around me any more. Since they're all owned by one of a couple of national syndicates, it doesn't really matter either.

Kept the buck though.

2. Nov 3, 2015 #2 of 17
    phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Like you I really am unaware of local or regional radio stations. I'm not sure how SiriusXM fits into the description of "radio" but since it doesn't run ads for Nielsen purposes I'm not sure it is different from plugging a smart phone into the jack in our car and listening to our own playlists.

Since my Uncle produced the "Fibber McGee and Molly" NBC radio show, I would expect to have some feeling of loss because radio has become irrelevant as an element of mass media. But I don't mourn the decline of radio.

3. Nov 3, 2015 #3 of 17
    alnielsen

alnielsen Godfather

Dec 31, 2006
    ...- .....
    I get Nielsen bucks all the time. :rolling:

Seriously,I actually got a radio servey to fill out about 20 years ago. I think I got $10. It wasn't Nielsen.

4. Nov 3, 2015 #4 of 17
    James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Arbitron was the best ratings service for radio ... Nielsen bought them in 2013.

5. Nov 3, 2015 #5 of 17
    Christopher Gould

Christopher Gould Icon

Jan 14, 2007
    I did a Nielsen tv paper thing for a week and got more than a buck

6. Nov 3, 2015 #6 of 17
    SeaBeagle

SeaBeagle Legend

May 7, 2006
    Yes I had. This was about 2 years ago.

Sent from my iPad 4 128GB using DBSTalk mobile application.

7. Nov 3, 2015 #7 of 17
    TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    I got two bucks. If you do the survey you get five.

8. Nov 4, 2015 #8 of 17
    joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    I have done the TV one several times. I think I got $10 or $20 to complete it every time. They were probably shocked that 1 person could watch so much TV. Almost all was recorded content as well. Other than sports, I dont watch alot of live TV.

9. Nov 4, 2015 #9 of 17
    yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo Icon

Nov 1, 2006
    Jacksonville Fl
    I started doing one but gave up after a day. Kept the dollar.

10. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    I listen to some NPR news in the morning and KUSC classical music much of the rest of the day. I check KNX news radio for any sigalerts when we're out driving. KNX has way too many commercials and repeats the news, sports, and weather more often than I need so I only listen to that station briefly.

We are fortunate to have two NPR stations. Their pledge drives don't overlap. We have four public TV stations available, three in HD, one for LA schools still in SD. We have radios in three bedrooms, the bathroom, the living room, and the family room.

11. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    My wife listens to the radio on her way into work, and used to listen to baseball games, but I not the same now without Joe Nuxhall. We got free tickets to a Chieftains concert with the Cincinnati Pops, so I can't complain :)

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk

12. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule! DBSTalk Club

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    I haven't received a solicitation from Neilsen in at least 15 years, perhaps much longer. Regarding radios, how many of you who say you don't have radios have a home theater system; after all, an AVR is a radio! :grin:

My Prius has HD Radio, which I listen to frequently, particularly the two public radio stations in the area -- WDAV in Davidson, NC, for classical, WFAE in Charlotte for jazz. The radio also has SiriusXM, but I don't subscribe to the service - still have a Roady and an XM adapter for my Yamaha AVR, but not in use. At one time, I had XM subscription for three or four devices. Dropped it due to the expense.

HD radio is great. Most FM stations in this area have one or more HD subchannels, offering programming for every taste - music, sports, news, talk radio, religious programming. The public radio stations offer NPR programming on their primary FM feed and duplicate it on one of their aHD feeds. None of my AVR's are HD Radio capable, but I have an Insignia HD Radio tuner (sadly, no longer available from BB) that feeds the AVR in my bedroom.

As to recorded music on the go, I have one playlist on my iPod, which I could feed through my car radio. Haven't loaded any music on my smartphone or tablets, but on the phone and one of my tablets, I have apps for Samsung Milk music, Amazon music iSlacker Radio and iHeart Radio.

13. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    I actually thought it was pretty fun. It wouldnt be for doing the entire house's viewing habbits. I did my own though. It was cool. I would do it again, anytime they wanted the data.

14. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    Just got one in the mail today. It was addressed to a deceased family member and my address use was temporary a few years back.
    Person passed away two years ago.
    So much for up to date Nielsen info.

But, appreciate the $.

15. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    I get them from the ATM.

16. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    I got one two weeks ago and last night they called to do the survey. It was legit. Said another gift will show up in the mail to thank me. We shall see.

17. SeaBeagle

SeaBeagle Legend

May 7, 2006
    You mean when you withdrew monies from your banks ATM you received your monies and the survey as well?

Sent from my iPad 4 128GB using DBSTalk mobile application.