1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anybody go to or come from Comcast?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by El Gabito, Nov 2, 2011.

1. Nov 2, 2011 #1 of 47
    El Gabito

El Gabito AllStar

Apr 24, 2006
    I'm seriously considering switching (serious as in both are active in my house right now).

I currently have an HR24 and HR22 from DirecTV.

I have a crappy motorola comcast box and a Tivo Premiere Elite (4 tuner + 1 live).

I'm getting hell trying to get the cablecard activated in the Tivo.

HOWEVER my question is what did you dislike that caused you to switch FROM comcast - or what do you dislike AFTER switching from DirecTV?

I'm having a real tough time making up my mind. I will also be saving about $100/mo in service with a $940 up-front investment. First 6 months will save $140/mo so it will pay for itself in about 7 months.

2. Nov 2, 2011 #2 of 47
    kmax

kmax AllStar

May 23, 2007
    Well a couple thoughts (switched from DirecTV to Comcast)...

In my case I went with a media center PC with a Ceton tuner card and am using Xboxes as extenders.

So that saves on the outlet fees that Comcast nails you with. And gives a vast upgrade over the DVR that Comcast provides. But you don't have to worry about that since you are going with Tivos.

One thing I miss is that Comcast has nowhere near the amount of premiums. They switched them over to on demand and thus cable card users get the shaft. However, they have a few of the "basics" in HD that I wanted. And of course sports offerings are less. However I do get the Red Zone channel which I like. And SD is tons better.

Taxes are higher with Comcast.

But no rain/snow fade.

I found customer service much better with DirecTV. Not that Comcast isn't friendly, but they have major issues. Cable card activation was a nightmare.

For me, guess it boiled down to saving a chunk of change every month, combined with not really liking 2 year commitments with DirecTV, and them dragging their heels on getting some of the basics to HD.

Of course this is all market dependent. Fortunately there is a lot of competition in my neck of the woods.

3. Nov 2, 2011 #3 of 47
    bixler

bixler Hall Of Fame

Oct 14, 2008
    PA
    I came from Comcast 3 years ago and have never thought about going back. For the equipment and programming I have, it is much cheaper for me to be with Direct TV. I am also a sports nut so Sunday Ticket, all MLB Extra Inning games in HD, scoreguide function, FSN Pittsburgh in HD all play a major role in me not wanting to go back to Comcast. I also find the fact that the SD and HD channels are the same number a huge plus compared to Comcast. My service seems to be more consistent, I had far more issues losing service with Comcast than I do with Direct TV.

4. Nov 2, 2011 #4 of 47
    El Gabito

El Gabito AllStar

Apr 24, 2006
    Yeah that part kind of boggled my mind. (HD #'s vs SD #'s)

5. Nov 2, 2011 #5 of 47
    je4755

je4755 Godfather

Dec 11, 2006
    I pay both providers as well. I initially became a Comcast subscriber (with a basic HD TiVo) because DirecTV didn’t – and still fails to – provide my local channels in HD. I purchased an expanded package from Comcast when Versus went dark on DirecTV. Having retained “HD Preferred xf” as part of a “triple play,” I now enjoy many HD channels not furnished by DirecTV, such as H2 and BBCA, although their availability in my DMA occurred well after other locations received them. On the other hand, I find HD movie and sports options on Comcast much less attractive than DirecTV; for example, only two HD channels are dedicated to CI.

Bottom line: I am keeping both until DirecTV offers HD LIL in my area and expands its basic HD lineup, neither of which likely will occur in the near term.

6. Nov 2, 2011 #6 of 47
    DawgLink

DawgLink Woof Woof Woof

Nov 5, 2006
    Washington, DC
    I had Comcast for a year in 2009 and I was rather appauled at the TV software for my DVR. I felt like I was back in 1990.

I had DirecTV and Cox before Comcast and went back to DirecTV.

7. Nov 2, 2011 #7 of 47
    psuscott0483

psuscott0483 Godfather

Apr 16, 2009
    Douglassvill...
    i pay both providers because of csnphilly but in my opinion the clear winner is directv because of superior equipment, customer service, picture quality, and channel availability

8. Nov 2, 2011 #8 of 47
    Upstream

Upstream Hall Of Fame

Jul 4, 2006
    I switched from DirecTV to Comcast about 3 years ago when I made the switch from SD to HD. For me, a couple of differences:

* Comcast customer service is far superior to DirecTV customer service. I only had one billing error with Comcast, which was quickly resolved. My customer service problems with DirecTV were never ending, right past the day I quit (link).

* Comcast SD picture quality is far suprior to DirecTV SD picture quality. This is less of an issue now, because just about everything I watch is in HD. Since I never had DirecTV HD, I can't compare HD picture quality.

* No rain fade with Comcast.

* Comcast DVR is much more stable than my DirecTV DVR (R15). This means fewer missed recordings, recording glitches, or freeze ups.

* DirecTV DVR has more features, the most important one being the ability to add an external hard drive. However the Comcast DVR has dual-live-buffers, which DirecTV did not when I switched (I don't know if that is still the case).

* For my set-up, Comcast is a couple bucks a month cheaper. Also Comcast has no upfront equipment costs, which was significant when I was looking to make the move from SD to HD. Plus Comcast has no commitment.

* Comcast has local substations. And in my area (Central NJ) Comcast provides locals from 2 DMAs (New York and Phila), giving me access to more local sports and news.

9. Nov 2, 2011 #9 of 47
    klambert

klambert AllStar

Feb 8, 2008
    Went from DirecTV to Comcast a little over a year ago.

1) More High Def options. DTV may have more channels, but most are subscription, duplicate feeds, or both. We gained a dozen or so basic cable HD channels.

2) PBS in HD + Subchannels. I know this is partially WGBH being a problem, but DTV still doesn't have it in HD. They also don't carry the different subchannels. Since switching, PBS has probably gone from virtually unwatched to 10 or 20% of our tv viewing.

3) Near market channels. We're not big broadcast watchers, b particular, we get RI PBS in HD as well as Boston.

4) FAR better SD picture quality. You can certainly tell what on Comcast is HD or SD, but it's perfectly watchable even letterboxed stuff that you zoom in on. DirecTV SD is so compressed its simply not watchable.

5) On Demand. Comcast's on demand has more options and some of the channels not available in HD, particularly BBC America, are available in HD On Demand.

Negatives:

1) The DVR

A) Comcast's DVR interface is a joke. It has all the major features, but it looks like something from the 1990s.

B) We are a Motorola market and esata expansion is disabled by Comcast on these boxes. We had a 1 terabyte expander for DTV and we now have only 500gb and that only because we got multi-room DVR--the standard DVR is only 320gb in this market. It hasn't been a huge issue, particularly because of On Demand. It's mostly been about deleting stuff we probably were never going to watch anyway. But it still stung to half our storage.

C) The Motorola HDMI interface is wonky. It works straight to the TV fine, but if you run it through an AV receiver, which is what we do, the handshake makes it reset its resolution options. Unfortunately, the default settings include SD being stretched rather than pillarboxed. We had to go to component video and digital audio coax into the receiver, which it then converts to HDMI.

Yes, I realize all of this would be solved by getting TIVO or media PC, but we use a lot of On Demand, which isn't compatible with cablecards.

10. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    I went from Comcast to DirecTV about 4 years ago now. I would never go back, and I'm trying to get my parents to switch from Comcast to D*.

In my area Comcasts HD is way worse than DirecTV's, and DirecTV's SD is about the same and maybe a little better than Comcast's (we are an old Insight market that needs updated).

DirecTV's DVRs are 1000x better, this is the main reason I want my parents to switch.

The costs are cheaper if you have multiple HDTVs. Comcast charges a rediculous amount for each HD-DVR or HD box per month. If you have more than one or two it is usually cheaper with DirecTV.

The only things I really miss from Comcast are the On-Demand library, and more local channels. I had ot get a couple AM21s to get some of my local subchannels because DirecTV doesn't carry them. My parents would lose out on some locals because with Comcast they get locals from both Rockford and the Quad Cities, but with DirecTV they will only get the Quad Cities locals.

Where I live now my only choices are DirecTV or Dish, and I am not impressed with Dish's equipment at all from what I have experienced at my mother in law's house.

11. mdavej

mdavej Hall Of Fame

Jan 30, 2007
    I've got to ask what the $1000 up front is about. I have to assume you're buying a couple of DVRs outright, but why? The monthly charges are the same whether you lease or own. And the ETF is only $20/month left on your contract. Sounds like you want to keep it at least a 7 months to realize your savings, hence you're spending $1000 to avoid possibly paying $300? DirecTV will probably give you an HD DVR or two for free or at most a couple of hundred bucks. If you're out of contract right now, just cancel and sign back up and you'll get nearly everything for free.

I also have to ask since you have both right now, what don't you already know first hand that you're trying to find out? Everything posted so far you already know.

12. charlie460

charlie460 Godfather

Sep 12, 2009
    Came from Comcast to DirecTV. Was in a non-WoM (World of More) area so had very limited HD channels, nowadays Comcast in my area actually carries more basic HD channels than DirecTV but I will still stick with DirecTV because of the dual-feed sports HD packages, awesome customer support, etc.

13. Jimmy 440

Jimmy 440 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2007
    Monmouth...
    I came to D from C in April 1999.A few of the reasons I switched because C blacks out Philadelphia sports in my area of NJ.D does NOT.I also switched to D because I got sick & tired of Madden & Sumerall saying "Stay tuned for the 2nd half of today's double header with the exception of you in the New York area".Translated into english,you have to watch the JETS ! I wanted NFLST.I have since dumped it because it got too $$$$$$.
    I found the PQ superior to C & it was cheaper.
    I have never looked back.

14. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Been a number of years, but went from Comcast to DirecTV.

First off, cable is not the same everyplace you go. You can't compare Indianapolis to Seattle (or any place else). So observations on reliability of service or picture quality (good or bad) are not necessarily valid or applicable to Comcast service at your location.

Here is why I am staying with DirecTV:
    1. Picture quality (both SD and HD) is better. SD picture quality was one of the main considerations that caused me to switch in the first place (although my local Comcast has improved in that regard recently).
    2. I have three DVRs plus two non-DVR receivers active right now. The cost for this with DirecTV is significantly lower than with Comcast.
    3. I love the (satellite) technology and playing with it (part hobby as opposed to just TV).

15. El Gabito

El Gabito AllStar

Apr 24, 2006
    $940 is a Tivo Elite (4 tuner + 1 livestream) with lifetime service. Lifetime is $499.99 or $20/mo for Tivo service. So the Elite was $440.

DirecTV I pay $100-200 depending on the rep for an HD DVR (I have two - I think I paid $300 total for those). I DO NOT OWN THESE. If I want to get the new HR34 (which I'd like to) it'll be $399.99. So $40 less than the Elite but the difference is I own the Tivo vs not the HR34.

Just trying to make the decision. I love directv and I'd love to swap my HR22 for a HR34 and keep the HR24 and go from there, but that's an extra $400 up front plus about an extra $100/mo in service fees (between tv, internet, phone).

Thanks for the input from everyone.

16. Coca Cola Kid

Coca Cola Kid Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2009
    Mt. Morris, MI
    I had Comcast before I got D*. The main reason I got rid of them was because I was sick of always reading about larger markets like Philly, Minneapolis, Boston, etc. always getting new HD channels that I wanted months (or even years) before I ever got them. With D* everyone gets the same new HD channels at the same time no matter where they live.

17. RACJ2

RACJ2 Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    I'm curious, if you decide to stick with DIRECTV, can you return the Tivo Elite DVR? And since it has 4 tuners, do you need 4 cablecards in it. If so, I guess you have to pay a monthly charge for each of them?

I have a Panasonic Flat screen that has a cablecard slot and when I was with Time Warner I had a cable card. While it was working, it was great. If you had a problem with it, then it was hard to find an installer that knew anything about them. It was fairly new then, so I'm sure it may be better now with all cable companies.

18. JohnGalt

JohnGalt Cool Member

Apr 16, 2008
    I'm switching off of DTV to comcast.

Why?

Comcast understands that they're simply a provider and doesn't want to lock people into their DVRs (either doesn't want to or can't because of FCC regulations to do with cablecards). DTV's solution is to do RDV and force us all to use their lame interface. (and yes I include the HD interface that is in testing which just keeps getting slower and slower and slower over time)

Meanwhile on comcast I can right now use a 4 tuner card for $220 with a Windows Media Center PC and record 4 high def shows at the same time, and then play them throughout the house without the $4 / box / month and $3 / month /per house tax that DTV likes to impose for absolutely no reason. ($19 / month total!) And Dec 6th I'll be able to use an Xbox 360 to do the same thing without the WMC.

Meanwhile DTV killed their tuner system for WMC and apparently has no plans to revive it.

Until and unless DTV gets their heads out of their a$$ I'm out of here end of the year. Companies like Comcast and DTV need to recognize that they're a provider, nothing more and they are no longer in control of the content or the interface. The more they try and hold on to it, the worse they're going to do. They haven't noticed yet, but as more and more people cut the cord they'll realize that it's about content delivery, not control or interface and DTV clearly doesn't get it. Send me the content, give it to me and let me choose how I want to view/listen to said content. Do not force me to watch it on your schedule or through your interface or you lose me and millions of others.

(and I've had more crappy DTV support interactions than with Comcast over the years and my comcast internet is more reliable than DTV care of DTV refusing to install on a post set in concrete and then charging me for 2 fixes to the installation (which is still broken) that they promised not to, so if you think the service is better forget it.)

(Feel free to use MythTV if you want the comments are the same)

19. JohnGalt

JohnGalt Cool Member

Apr 16, 2008
    BTW, comcast supplies the first cable card for free and they're M-cast cards so they can do multi-streams.

Thus in a TIVO or WMC with the right card in it you can record 4 programs at once with a single cablecard at no charge.

While at minimum this will cost you $8 / month + $3 for MRV on DTV.

Adds up to a Lennovo HTPC for $350 pretty damn quickly, especially if you have 4 dvrs from DTV like I do. Asside from the fact that recording 4 shows at the same time scheduled on DTV is a PITA and trivial with WMC.

20. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Isn't competition wonderful? Enjoy your new service.