Anybody having THIS problem with their 301 receiver???

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Scratch, Jul 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jul 23, 2004 #1 of 119
    Scratch

Scratch Legend

Dec 27, 2003
    I have two 301 receivers with the P226 software that will freeze up and then turn off. There is no rhyme or reason to it. It doesn't happen at a cetain time of the day, on a certain channel, or anything like that. I have a third 301 that has the P203 software, but it has yet to have this problem. Just curious if anybody else has experienced this. Thanks :confused:

2. Jul 23, 2004 #2 of 119
    JBar1017

JBar1017 Cool Member

Jul 22, 2003
    Yes, I'm having the same problem as well. I got random lockups, and sometimes I get a loss of signal on some channels. I do a signal check, and I get 100 at all times steady, and it does show on the details screen that there is loss of signal. It just says, the Signal Integrity is good, no loss of signal detected. I have to do unplug the receiver to get the lost channels back. I believe this is a software bug, and I hope Dish Network releases software soon that fixes it because it's getting annoying.

Anyone else having any problems with their 301 receiver.

Jack
    JBar1017

3. Jul 24, 2004 #3 of 119
    stonecold

stonecold Banned User

Feb 20, 2004
    Well I can answer your both your questions but I am not allowed to talk about flawed hardware design here. because then dish network will call Chris and then ***** and then edit my post. Because Dishnetwor likes to oppress information

4. Jul 24, 2004 #4 of 119
    James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    You can say anything you want as long as you are not giving hacking information. :rolleyes:

JL

5. Jul 24, 2004 #5 of 119
    stonecold

stonecold Banned User

Feb 20, 2004
    Aparently not because while the solution is simple dish network with ***** because it requiures opening up the receiver and that could be precieved as hacking. looking at your reciver funny in this forum is precieved as hacking.

But to give you a general over view there is aheat problem with some 301s the tuner gets so hot that solder starts to melt inside the tuner you basicly open up the tuner spray freezeing agent. Then it is just a matter of keeping the box well ventilated.

6. Jul 24, 2004 #6 of 119
    Mike Richardson

Mike Richardson Banned User

Jun 12, 2003
    I have a 19" TV sitting on my 301 and I haven't had any problems.

7. Jul 24, 2004 #7 of 119
    stonecold

stonecold Banned User

Feb 20, 2004
    yeah it not all of them.. I will have to look it up again but it only recievers with a certian part number for the sat tuner. Now I have a 301 under a bunch of stero equipment no problem. I only had one person bring me a 301 with this problme I will have to do a little research to find out which part number for the sat tuner had this problem.

8. Jul 24, 2004 #8 of 119
    shilton

shilton Godfather

Nov 20, 2002
    It is one of the few problems people are having with P226. I suggest you email Dishnetwork at the tech support addy to let them know of your troubles. They are investigating it. It is STRICTLY software related. I have had the same issue myself on numerous occasions and it started the day I got the P226 update.

9. Jul 24, 2004 #9 of 119
    Darkman

Darkman Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 16, 2002
    they bring you broken electronics and you fix them, stone?
    (just wondering.. that's all) :)

10. Jul 24, 2004 #10 of 119
    James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Stop trying to feel persecuted. You posted some information in another thread that was hacking information and it was removed. That doesn't mean that all anti-dish information will be removed.

If Dish really was censoring this forum you would see no threads about "moving" and a lot of missing information about uplinked channels. They only took action when information appeared that would allow others to continue to steal service.

Not that they approve of the rest on the information, nor that they like its presence in a public forum. But the other information doesn't allow people to steal service (at least not directly). Presence of channels is not hacking information - how to get or continue to get channels without subscription is.

OK? Calm down, enjoy the forum. Don't feel oppressed and persecuted. You are not! :)

JL

11. Jul 24, 2004 #11 of 119
    stonecold

stonecold Banned User

Feb 20, 2004
    Actually with a dvb card ( similar to fta reciver) and the stream anazlyer you can see when they uplink new channels and see what firmware is sitting in the satellite stream. Personally all legal as long as you dont use software to defeat the nagravision ecryption.

Darkman,

Yes a couple of people in town have come to me to diagnose recievers... 301 sat tuner problem was a well known problme even though it only affected a few recievers.

Like now i have a DTV RCA 430RGA reciver thinking it is a 301. and techincally works... Since i doubt that dish will never ever sub a dtv box number I will just end that train of thought now.

DIshplayer upgrades. modifcations to recievers . adding optical out to 4700 . if dish does not mine i have a great picks on how to add optical out to a 301.

But like i said i am a hardware type of person.

12. Jul 25, 2004 #12 of 119
    james39

james39 Legend

Dec 10, 2003
    yep, since the new p226 software, it freezes up sometimes without any explanation. Strange thing is it only happened 2 times to me so far, and I watch TV with this receiver every night. I called it in, and I suggest you do too. They are reportedly working on a fix, so hopefully it will be out before long.

13. Jul 26, 2004 #13 of 119
    Jason Nipp

Jason Nipp Analog Geek in a Digital World Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Jun 10, 2004
    Northern...

E* is aware of the issue and is working on the fix. Mark maybe able to fill us in further on status as I haven't talked to my E* contacts in over a week.

P226 does have an issue with random resets and freezing

P203 does have an issue with the caller ID subscriber software module and has made some receivers require to be "re-hit"...i.e. re-subscribed as it sometimes scrambles the card info and tells the subscriber the card doesn't have a valid subscription.

These bugs are known to E* at this time.

Jason

14. Jul 26, 2004 #14 of 119
    Mike Richardson

Mike Richardson Banned User

Jun 12, 2003
    We've got another 301 that has been having guide trouble. It will go all wonky and show the same channel and same program over and over again. Sometimes it will draw the program over the channel number as well. Smart card pull fixes it but it's still annoying.

15. Jul 26, 2004 #15 of 119
    Jason Nipp

Jason Nipp Analog Geek in a Digital World Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Jun 10, 2004
    Northern...
    I have seen it show the same EPG info on all channels/pages of the EPG. This "wonky" issue sounds to have the same root cause. Are you referring to 226 or 203?

Jason

16. Jul 26, 2004 #16 of 119
    Darkman

Apr 16, 2002
    Well.. and here I am... also:

I guess i didn't pay close attention before (or simply was lucky.. or in denial ;))))

But now... several times already - yesturday (for one) ..and just now.. my 301-010s with 226 S/W on them -------> would just FREEZE UP (out of nowhere).. and if not touch it (like pull out the card, etc).. after several seconds (not exactly sure how many.. didn't time it) - the receiver goes OFF and then ON (on it's own..).. it would Reboot itself.. and then after.. as long as it takes.. (major pain in the a$$ .. if you ask me) - TV would come back...

Well - conclusion - it SUCKs! .. - What if someone is taping / recording something important.. (even say the PPV Movie or Event .. that paid for with hard earned dollars) ... and then this random "chit" comes up ...out of NOWHERE... WTF???!!!

That would suck MAJORLY..
    Didn't someone say they were aware of this problem? .. BUT - that was already like...a week or 2 ago??
    So where is that fix then??? .. i see that NOBODY is rushing to release us that fix..

i do not watch tv much nor care much - but can feel the frastration of others..
    It's TRULY rediculous..!

Like ... who needs some freaking cosmetic enhancements of 226 - such as new Menu colors, new SYS. INFO design with it's 3 screens -------> when ONE CAN'T watch TV - PROPERLY???!!!
    225 didn't have those issues - and therefore was BETTER!
    (i understand some bugs that do not interfere with watching TV.. but the current BUG is a NO-NO!)

B.S.......

17. Jul 26, 2004 #17 of 119
    Jason Nipp

Jun 10, 2004
    Northern...

Yep E* is aware, and I agree, I don't think the fancy new colors are even that great. E* should re-spool P225 and save us the headache until they figure it out. I have unselected upgrade without my permission. This way I can see what happens to you guys and decide whether or not I want the frustration.

Jason

18. Jul 26, 2004 #18 of 119
    Darkman

Apr 16, 2002
    Ya.. that actually a great idea - I AGREE - respool 225 .. until the bug(s) is/are figured out and tested properly for a Hussle-Free "wide-spread" release...

nippjas - suggestion - when replying to the post (expecially if it's just directly above the post that you will be posting) - NO NEED to "Reply with Quote" / or even Quote the entire post (just to preserve some forum's room / etc...

Just Hit "Post Reply No Quote" or use "Quick Reply" thingy (i personally use it most of the time :)))) .. or if need to quote something.. then maybe just the important part of that post...

Quoting the Entire Post is OK however if Replying to post ..say.. that's on a previous page(s) somewhere .. or if on current page, but somewhere "high-up"

Just a friendly suggestion ;) .. and NO OFFENCE in any manner ;)

19. Jul 26, 2004 #19 of 119
    Darkman

Apr 16, 2002
    I usually take all of those S/W upgrades..
    But if i have known it would have such a bug as the current one.. i d stick around with previous 225 for sure.. until the current one properly fixed....

20. Jul 26, 2004 #20 of 119
    Jason Nipp

Jun 10, 2004
    Northern...
    Point taken...and I also have a suggestion. With no offense intended. Don't elude to "high up" on a thread, "above" or "below". I have set my DBSTalk settings to sort by the newest post. So when someone refers to an earlier post as "Above" for me it's actually "Below"

I've enjoyed your posts...keep them coming.

Later,
    Jason

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.