1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anybody heard of any negotiations which would affect CBS O&O stations consent?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by JohnH, Dec 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnH

JohnH Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Just wondering. :eek2:

2. JohnH

JohnH Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    I think Charlie mentioned something about this on the Chat.

Looks like they are going to the wire.

Indications from the stream are they are ready to shut them down on a moments notice.

They have made provisions to keep the Distants up, since they are not a negotiable item.

3. johnbelt

johnbelt Guest

What exactly does O&O mean?Thanks

4. JohnH

JohnH Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Owned and Operated. In this case it refers to CBS affiliates which are Owned and Operated by CBS. I believe there are 15 currently being carried.

5. spanishannouncetable

spanishannouncetable Icon

Apr 23, 2002
    Owned
    &
    Operated by CBS themselves

6. newsub

newsub Legend

Aug 5, 2003
    examples are kdka in pittsburgh, kcbs in LA, and wcbs in new york. KDKA was owned by westinghouse which had bought out cbs then they split and cbs kept kdka.

7. ehren

ehren Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2003
    madison is not affected right?

8. TonyM

TonyM Banned User

Aug 14, 2003
    Ehren
    Youre OK

The 17 O&O are Austin, Baltimore, Boston, Chicago, Dallas, Denver, Detroit, Los Angeles, Marquette, Miami, Minneapolis, New York, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Salt Lake City, San Francisco, and Green Bay.

Uh oh....I got Mpls locals

9. TNGTony

TNGTony Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    The channels that could be affected are the following:
    8001 (NY),
    8031 (Detroit),
    8101 (LA),
    8131 (Pittsburgh),
    8151 (Philly),
    8201 (Denver),
    8221 (San Francisco),
    8251 (Austin),
    8401 (Dallas),
    8491 (Chicago),
    8531 (Salt Lake City),
    8571 (Minneapolis),
    8731 (Baltimore),
    8771 (Boston) and
    8831 (Miami)

See ya
    Tony

10. Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt Your Neighborhood Liasion

Mar 23, 2002
    This one's new to me - is Charlie now having problems with the CBS O&O stations as well?

11. JohnH

JohnH Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    He mentioned on the chat that the CBS contract was up for renewal, but they have had good relations. Perhaps he is just trying to get the last penny and is ready if there is a SNAFU.

12. btbrossard

btbrossard Mentor/Supporter

Oct 4, 2002
    As of late it appears that Charlie has problems with all programming providers.

/Benjamin

13. Allen Noland

Allen Noland New Member

Apr 23, 2002
    I think he was talking about Viacom cable networks, which own's CBS. But I don't remember CBS being a problem. I could be wrong.

14. TNGTony

TNGTony Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    There is a "slate" channel lined up for every one of the channels I listed above. I don't know what the slate says (I'm not a pirate) but I do know there is one channel mirrored and ready to be "dropped" in each of the channel numbers I listed. So there is something going on with CBS

See ya
    Tony

15. scottchez

scottchez Icon

Feb 4, 2003
    Something is up.

I was at my Dish retailer today.

They added two new CBS stations (remapped ones).

New ones are CBSLA and CBSNY they are mapped to the CBS-W and CBS-E channels lower down in the 200 channel area.

Why in the world would they put channels so close in the range with slightly different names.

Strange . . .

16. scottchez

scottchez Icon

Feb 4, 2003
    Also my CBS is pulling out of Cox Cable Dec 31st, this is confirmed in a press release.

Only the ditigal channel is being pull not the analog.

CBS must be re negotiating everything as they have the NLF card to pull right now.

17. Bobby94928

Bobby94928 Hall Of Fame

May 12, 2003
    CBS E & W have always been in the 200 range, along with the rest of the networks. I have always had New York and Los Angeles network TV, since about 1998. In that time they were in the 240 range. They are still there along with the 8000s. It's just a mapping thing. No difference in transponders.

18. scottchez

scottchez Icon

Feb 4, 2003
    Nope, I called the guy and he checked again.

They have remapped a 2nd channel, one each for all CBS owned stations. This is what they do when they turn a channel off, it falls to the info channel.

I think they may be going dark, at least they are ready to turn them off with these new channels.

Example: the Denver one says CBSDN

The regualar channel is still there.

19. ehren

ehren Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2003
    CBS can bite me, the packers are on Fox so WHOPEEEEEEEEE!!!

20. JohnH

JohnH Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    All this misinformation.

If the CBS O&O local channels are pulled the distants for New York, Los Angeles, Denver and Chicago will show on the new channels as CBSNY, CBSLA, CBSDN and CBSCH. The new channels for NY and LA are in the 253/254 area which is not the same as the existing channels. All of the existing CBS O&O locals will go to a common slate which comes from 119. BTW there are 15 of them as listed by TNGTony above.

Note: The 2nd channels exist for only the 4 stations which are offered as Distant Nets.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.