1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anybody here ever bought a Factory Refurbished Dish DVR?

Discussion in 'Standard Definition Receiver Support Forum' started by pomeroy, Apr 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pomeroy

pomeroy Legend

Jan 2, 2005
    Got a question
    I was looking at getting a Dish Network DVR maybe a 501 or which model would you recommend? I have seen several models on ebay that are Factory Refurbished by Dish and come with a 1 year warranty the price seems like a good deal But I don't know?

Anybody have good luck with these or is this a bad move?

2. Jacob S

Jacob S Hall Of Fame

Apr 14, 2002
    Refurbished recievers only come with a 3 month warranty and you are a bit more likely to have issues with them. I am telling you from my personal experience and from what others on here have said.

3. garypen

garypen Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 1, 2004
    Yup. I have a refurb 501 at work, and it seems to have a problem with very poor IR sensitivity. The one thing I've always loved about Dish receivers (and there ain't much to love) is their superior IR sensitivity to any other electrical devices I have owned. But, this refurb 501 really sucks in that regard.

Also, it refuses to accept the fact that it is subscribed to WPIX. The other 8 receivers on the account, all new 311's, have no problem with it.

I guess I'll have them swap it out. It's almost "brand new", other than it being a refurb.

4. goughl

goughl Legend

Jul 18, 2003
    I bought a refurb. 501 over a year ago and it has worked perfectly

5. JM Anthony

JM Anthony Child of the 60's DBSTalk Gold Club

Nov 16, 2003
    While I didn't buy it, I got a refurb 921 when my original went belly up. I actually prefer refurb units. They've been more thoroughly tested so my experience is that they are better than originals. YMMV

6. Jon Spackman

Jon Spackman Icon

Feb 7, 2005
    I bought a refurb 510 on ebay over a year ago and its been perfect. no problems at all. Go for it, you can always demand another if you get a lemon.

In my opinion there are two kinds of dish DVR's: The ones that are bad, and the ones that work!

hopefully you get one that works.

Jon :rolleyes:

7. Hitachi51

Hitachi51 New Member

Apr 14, 2005
    We purchased a Re-manufactured 721 from Dishstore.net and it has a Full 1 Year Warranty.
    We have had only two weeks and so far it has worked out great.

8. Roger Tee

Roger Tee Mentor

Feb 22, 2004
    As far as IR sensitivity I actually experienced a problem with that that I traced back to the new flourescent bulb I screwed into a lamp to save energy ($$).

Two of the 501s in the house are remans that were rmas from originals that the drive died in. No problems with them the third one the drive is starting to go too... One reason I have the fancy per month warranty is I don't trust anything with hard drives to run for years and years without drive problems.

Cheers

Oh yes, the 501 or 508 won't cost you the $5 a month PVR fee and the 508 has double the storage of a 501 so go for a 508 if possible.

9. Satpro92

Satpro92 Legend

Jan 30, 2005
    I have a 501 refurb that does great,how did you manage to get 8 receivers on one account? Is it commercial?

10. JM Anthony

JM Anthony Child of the 60's DBSTalk Gold Club

Nov 16, 2003
    No, they're catholic. :lol:

11. purwater

purwater AllStar

Mar 23, 2005
    I bought a remanufactured 508 about a month ago from dishstore.net thru their ebay sales. I too got a 1 year warranty. So far the unit has been rock solid. I figured for $169 shipping included it was worth a try.

12. geobernd

geobernd Mentor

Nov 4, 2004
    Refurbished 508 here - running fine (except for the usual 508 problems (see the 3.00 threads)) since November 2004

13. finniganps

finniganps Hall Of Fame

Jan 23, 2004
    I think it's hit or miss. 1st 508 I got was a refurb. - had to be returned because it couldn't record and playback at the same time. 2nd one (refurb) was fine. I still have it and it has had NO problems whatsoever - bulletproof at this point. My 721 was a refurb. - except for the occassional loss of the guide, it has been great.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.