1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anybody in a troubleshooting mode tonight?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by BuffaloDenny, Apr 1, 2010.

1. Apr 1, 2010 #1 of 13
    BuffaloDenny

BuffaloDenny Icon

Mar 19, 2007
    So I called in and went through all the troubleshooting steps for a 771 searching for satellite message on my bedroom receiver, a H20-100 HD receiver. My living room HD DVR is not having any 771 issues. The signal strength seems strong except for satellite 103, which is coming in at 0's. I am able to get my SD channels, but HD channels come back with 771.

I've checked connections to the receiver, reboot, unplugged, etc. They can't schedule a service call tonight because of system maintenance, so in the meantime is there anyone who enjoys troubleshooting and has any thoughts or suggestions as I try to figure this out?

2. Apr 1, 2010 #2 of 13
    armophob

armophob Difficulty Concen........

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    I would swap boxes to determine if the trouble is in the cables/connections ect or with the box. If it moves with the box then you know you have box issues.

3. Apr 1, 2010 #3 of 13
    veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Don't know if this is a SWiM setup or not, but if not, then also try swapping a BBC from the DVR to see if it's the problem.

4. Apr 1, 2010 #4 of 13
    BuffaloDenny

BuffaloDenny Icon

Mar 19, 2007
    Thanks guys, I'll try tomorrow as I'm beat tonight. I do have a bunch of BBC's I can easily try swapping out. Swapping receivers is a little more of a PITA, so I'll try that 2nd;)

5. Apr 1, 2010 #5 of 13
    matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Keep us updated on what you find and we will try to get you going again

6. Apr 1, 2010 #6 of 13
    David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    I was IN trouble last night w/ wife, not sure if that helps :)
    fwiw my hr20-100 started doing this before tuner 2 died completely.

7. Apr 1, 2010 #7 of 13
    Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    What does it say when you run the system test? You can get there by pressing and holding the {INFO} key and then choosing system test.

8. Apr 1, 2010 #8 of 13
    laciii

laciii AllStar

Feb 6, 2008
    I had the same problem, 771 on tuner 2 on my bedroom DVR. Family room DVR works fine. I have a four wire LNB on a Slimline dish. Only happened on HD channels. OTA was fine. System test said I had either a signal distribution problem of dish alignment problem. I swapped the coax feeds (move Tuner 1 to 2 and vice versa) and it cleared up the problem but the system test still said I have a signal distribution problem or a dish alignment problem. A tech is coming out tomorrow to check it out.

9. Apr 1, 2010 #9 of 13
    BuffaloDenny

BuffaloDenny Icon

Mar 19, 2007
    Can these things kinda resolve themselves? I was able to get up on the roof today and didn't notice anything awry, but just tightened up all the connections,etc. The issue has now gone away (knock on wood). I didn't swap the BBC or receiver. BTW, this is a HD receiver only, no DVR, and the system test has all come back OK. Weird, but happy for now.

On a side, does anyone have the reader's digest version of what 103ca and 103cb is? I haven't been keeping up with that stuff, and in checking my signals I'm getting all 0's on ca but good signal strength on cb. Just curious, as where I left off "c" meant conus and "s" was for spotbeam, right?

10. cheesedjdj

cheesedjdj Legend

Jan 20, 2010
    Yep C is Conus and S is Spot. As for 103 ca and cb, 103 ca is the conus beams for the upcoming D12 satellite which is not yet in position and cb is the current D10 satellite.

11. matt

matt New Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Were the connections loose outside?

12. BuffaloDenny

BuffaloDenny Icon

Mar 19, 2007
    Not really. I tightened them all, and maybe a very slight turn on one or two of them. Maybe that was enough.

13. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    When you're deal with RF, connections are very important.
    "Snug" is what all of them need to be. I use a wrench on EVERYONE of mine. It shouldn't be "tight", but you should feel the connector mate as you turn them. Once I feel the mating, then I stop at "snug".
    If you had a torque wrench you'd go to 25"lbs.