Anybody See Picture Coloring Interference NFL Games 399

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by GordonGekko, Sep 14, 2020.

1. GordonGekko

GordonGekko Active Member

Dec 5, 2015
    On the West feed, 399 Fox Directv, during the entire Packers/Vikings game and part of the Bucs/Saints game, there was constant interference, obscured colors, rendered the games unwatchable, sort of like the colors washing out every second or so, curious if anyone else watching 399 saw this, thanks.

2. trainman

trainman Hall Of Fame

Jan 9, 2008
    Sherman...
    I watched the entire Bucs-Saints game with my DVR tuned to Channel 11 in Los Angeles, which I believe is technically 399 appearing on a duplicate channel number, and I didn't see anything like you were describing.

3. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I watched that game and saw no issues such as you saw. You're only seeing that on that one channel, right?

Kinda sounds like an HDR thing.

Rich

4. GordonGekko

Dec 5, 2015
    Someone on Twitter reported the same thing, ultimately it does not matter, I was just curious how widespread it was, thanks. I was watching the SD feed, might have only affected the SD channel.

Rich likes this.
  5. ejbvt

ejbvt AllStar

Aug 14, 2011
    VT
    Why the SD feed???!!

6. GordonGekko

Dec 5, 2015
    Oh I'm the anomaly here, fast forward works smoother for sports with SD, I only have a 27" LCD, don't care about HD, actually prefer the smaller dimensions of the picture, mimics the dimensions of the crt tube tv's that I grew up with, nobody here will agree with me, although the smoother fast forward is real.

Rich likes this.
  7. ejbvt

ejbvt AllStar

Aug 14, 2011
    VT
    ... so you watch SD for fast forward? That's a new one. Who cares how smooth it is? I just use the 30 skip to get past commercials all together. If you don't have an HD tv, I get it, but there are plenty of HD-only channels you're missing... Plus you are contributing to the unnecessary use of SD in 2020....

A 16x9 picture from the HD box is not going to be any different size than the 16x9 picture on the SD channels on a 4x3 tv.

8. GordonGekko

Dec 5, 2015
    It is not 16 by 9, it settings for 4:3 on a LCD 16 by 19 HD tv, I sit far enough away from the tv you can't tell much of a difference between HD and SD, I don't watch entire games, I use fast forward enough that I need to be able to actually see the game, fast forward on HD jump cuts too much, just a personal preference. I also use 30 second skip to try to move snap to snap in football but there are times I'll fast forward through a series.

And as far as contributing to SD viewing, not like one person can make a difference, I pay for the HD service, I don't think they know which channel feeds I am watching.

Also with fast forward, the best was the Directv Tivo boxes, second best is SD feed, there might even be a difference between HD feed but set to only 480i as opposed to 720 or 1080p, that I'd have to test again.

With the Directv Tivo boxes there was no jump cuts at all, you could follow the entire play at a higher speed.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
  9. ejbvt

ejbvt AllStar

Aug 14, 2011
    VT
    Why would you "watch" a game in fast forward?!?!?!?!

10. GordonGekko

Dec 5, 2015
    I never wrote that I watch an entire game in fast forward.

11. krel

krel New Member

Mar 20, 2013
    watched a ball game yesturday on 399 looked perfect to me none of what your talking about

12. GordonGekko

Dec 5, 2015
    It only happened on that one day in September, not an ongoing issue.

krel likes this.