Anyone buy the 921 & 34" TV combo?

Discussion in 'Standard Definition Receiver Support Forum' started by kspeters, Jan 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kspeters

kspeters Mentor/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Aug 12, 2003
    Anyone buy the 921 & 34" TV combo? Just wondering what everyone thought of the tv, quality , features, etc. Seems like a good deal but am a little leary of the 921 after reading about it here. I need some good advice on the decision yo buy or not ot buy the combo or even the tv or reciever alone. Thanks for any input.
    :lol:

2. kspeters

Aug 12, 2003
    So no one has bought this combo. I'm really sitting on the fence here. Can't seem to decide whether this deal is too good to be true.

3. ClaudeR

ClaudeR Godfather

Dec 6, 2003
    I bought it, as well as many others here. Have you searched the threads? It is OK for the money, I paid $700 total, first time sub.

4. kspeters

Aug 12, 2003
    Wow , for $700 bucks that is a heck of a deal. Yes I searched the site but didn't find exactly what I was looking for. There are some posts on the tv but was looking for more advice. Thanks.

5. ClaudeR

ClaudeR Godfather

Dec 6, 2003
    It's large and heavy, and shows a HiDef picture. The geometry is really messed up, and I've tweaked mine to a reasonable picture. TVs will continue to drop in price, but the $500 CRT is not a bad deal. If you have the room, direct view CRTs can produce the some of the best color palatte and viewing angles.

A similar unit from Philips can be found for $800 at BJs. Don't forget that Dish DELIVERS the TV - This is a HUGE advantage when getting a 34" CRT. I figure in another year or three, the plasma or technology de jour will be significantly cheaper, I will have had HiDef for that long, and save over $500 on the new technology when it comes along.

6. mopar_chris

mopar_chris New Member

Jan 13, 2005
    I have had mine for about a month now & I love it. The 921 has worked great except for a few little hiccups with recording 2 shows at once, but I think that was operator error. The TV is great too, I have a DVD, PS2, PC & the sat plugged into it. The only thing I don't like is: when you are watching a standard def show that is not in widescreen the TV streches it out & it pixellates some. I can't figure out how to switch it back to standard size. I think it was a great deal & I'm glad I bought it.

7. Feb 1, 2005 #7 of 58
    Savage112

Savage112 New Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Try pressing the * key on your 921 remote.

8. Feb 1, 2005 #8 of 58
    swlauren

swlauren Mentor

Apr 2, 2004
    Yep! i bought the combo. Have it two weeks and everything is OK. TV has a really good picture on SD and HD and the 921 is not showing any bugs yet

9. Feb 1, 2005 #9 of 58
    ubankit

ubankit AllStar

Jan 7, 2005
    I bought the 34" direct view tv & 921, mid December 2004. The 921 quit receiving after 3 days. It was replaced about two weeks later. I did get credited for the down time (AT120 + locals). The replacement 921 has worked ok (just some of the buggy problems that show up in the 921 discussion). The tv has a decent picture (it's not a Sony or Toshiba). It's heavy (170 lbs) so the fact E* delivered & set it up is a big plus! I purchased a "Stormark" model tv stand from Ikea in Houston for $65, the tv fits like it was made for it. My understanding is the tv is an RCA brand, and is a discontinued item with them. Oh yeah, I signed up for the HD pack & HBO to take advantage of the HD programming. I previously had a 501 so the dvr concept isn't new to me and I couldn't live without one after the 501. I'm well satisfied with the performance and the price, I don't think you can go wrong with this promo. I rec locals hd via ota, can get all the locals except pbs. The only downside to hd tv is that the sd picture really looks shabby now! I may be in the minority about E* bashing, I've been much more satisfied with satellite (5 yrs with D*, then 1-1/2 years with E*) than I ever was with cable (TWC in my area); it's nice to have a choice in providers and I never had that with cable. I'm rambling now....

10. chewey

chewey Legend

Jul 28, 2004
    I bought the TV back in Jan. 04. I didn't get it through Dish, I got the RCA version that was a floor model at Sam's Club for $1000. I thought it was a great deal and considering prices 1 year ago it was a good deal.

I used it with the Dish 811 for about a year, and recently got the 921. I have been very happy with both.

One of the coolest things about it is this feature that make the integration between your components and the tv really easy. When I press the sat button on the remote, both the tv and the sat receiver turn on.

Then if I press the vcr button, the tv automatically swtiches to the input I have set for the vcr (actually my ps2), for the aux button it swtiches to the dvd rgb input.

The tv has a great picture and I haven't had any problems with it.

For $700 it is a great deal. And $300 for the 921 is awsome too. I got my 921 at costco for $480.

11. kspeters

Aug 12, 2003
    Thaks for the input guys, keep those cards and letters coming!!
    I talked to dish the other day and the rep said that the promo would be good untill end of February.

12. jgoggan

jgoggan Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 2, 2002
    I did the 40" plus 811 deal last year and was happy with it. The 40" went to my Dad (because I already have a 57" Hitachi RP) and the 811 went to EBay and I put the money to a 721. Ended up getting a great deal on an HDTV for my Dad and a cheap 721 for me. :)

- John...

13. chewey

chewey Legend

Jul 28, 2004

So what did you decide?

14. kspeters

Aug 12, 2003
    I have not made a decision yet. According to dish rep I have untill end of Feb to make the call. I am going to look at HD tvs this weekend. It takes me a while to make up my mind as I like to do a lot of research. For one thing I don't know whether to go for the buggy 921 or wait for the 942, I have to do some comparisons betwent the two first. For $999 it's not a bad deal but just worried about upgrading down the line when the new format comes out. If I go witht he lease on 942 it may offer a better and less costly upgrade path. Any thoughts on that? The 34" tv gives me some concern, I wish I could see it in action before taking the plunge!!!! Does dish take the equipment back if I buy it and decide it's not for me? Or would I be stuck?

15. jgra

jgra Cool Member

Jan 5, 2005
    I got mine a month or two ago. Had some initial problems with the installation and such. Overall I have not problems other than the regular bugs with 921 with should be fixed with the next software upgrade. The television is great. Let me tell you a story I was having off and on some trouble with picture quality of the television, all the channels will fade a bit. I would get mad try to call dish then decide not to and try to fix myself. I would press the sd/hd button play around the wires in the back of the tv and little with wires in back of the receiver. Anyone to cut a long story short I found out that it was one of the wires and it was loose. For those times I would say to myself damn Dish they don't know what the hell they are doing. The motto is to have patience with these hunk of metal and wires.

By the way this is a really heavy tv so I would make sure that you are not moving anytime soon, this will be a mission to move.

Good Luck

16. kspeters

Aug 12, 2003
    I'm getting closer to making the call. I'm leaning towards getting the combo and maybe also taking advantage of the voom promo they are running. $1 dollar to install with 6 month commitment. I figure the worst it can cost me is 6 months at about $54/month. Have to review this plan with the girlfriend. Thanks for everyone input.
    jgra, sounds like you are happy with the picture on the tv?

17. DJ Rob

DJ Rob Godfather

Jul 24, 2003
    I have the 34" monitor and my only complaint is it is slightly out of focus towards the sides. Real noticeable when graphics/text are near the edges.
    I don't know if this is common for this model or for flat CRT screens in general...
    I may have a tech try to tweak the focus on it in the future since it has a one year warranty.
    Otherwise it works and looks good.
    It has plenty of inputs. And comes with a DVI cable.
    I have a surround sound system so I've never used the built-in speakers.
    I got mine for $499 a few months ago when they were running a deal for the Denver market.

18. jgoggan

jgoggan Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 2, 2002
    Just to make sure you aren't missing the obvious, you don't have the TV in a 4:3->16:9 stretch mode, right?

You see this focus problem at the edges even when watching an anamorphic widescreen movie that takes up the entire screen (and have confirmed that you are in a standard 16:9 mode and not a stretch mode)?

Just want to make sure -- since, in the past, I've seen people complain about the edges being blurred when they were watching TV from their receiver that was obviously outputting a 4:3 picture and the TV was in a progressive stretch mode to make 4:3 take up the full 16:9 screen...

- John...

19. David_Levin

David_Levin Icon/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 22, 2002
    My big problem here was the advanced picture setting "scan velocity modulation". I have no idea what this is good for besides making the sides of the picture blurry.

I watch everything OAR (original aspect ratio). If it burns my $500 E* CRT - so be it. I'll be ready for an unburnable DLP by then.

20. DJ Rob

DJ Rob Godfather

Jul 24, 2003
    I watch everything OAR too. And it affects my progressive scan DVD player when watching 16:9 movies. It's really noticeable when Discovery HD has graphics towards one side or another also. As they goes towards the edge, the more out of focus they are. This problem affects 2-3" on either side. I run this thing with scan velocity modulation off since that seems to make the whole pic a little fuzzy when it's on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.