1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone else getting calls from 269-768-2316?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by 1995hoo, Jun 2, 2009.

1. Jun 2, 2009 #1 of 32
    1995hoo

1995hoo AllStar

May 14, 2004
    Fairfax...
    For some time now I have been getting hang-up calls from 269-768-2316, a number purporting to be DirecTV. I never answer a call if I think it's going to be a sales call or something because I figure that the legitimate callers, such as a credit card company's cardholder security department, will leave a message (and in my experience they usually do). The purported DirecTV number never does, so I did a Google search for the number and found a bunch of commentary saying that it's one of these phishing places claiming that they're DirecTV and that you owe them money. So I'm thinking of putting this number on the "block list" on my answering machine (the machine plays a busy signal if it detects a call from a number on that list).

Now, I would know very well that any such claim would be utter bollocks if they told me that, but the real question here is, does anyone have any sense for what phone numbers are LEGITIMATE DirecTV numbers? I'd like to weed out the robocall scum whilst still knowing if I were to receive a real call.

(Also, has anyone answered a call from 269-768-2316? If so, what did they want?)

2. Jun 2, 2009 #2 of 32
    Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook Lifetime Achiever

Apr 1, 2007
    Did a quick Google search... It does look a little suspicious. If I were you, I would call 1-800-DIRECTV and ask them to check your account and see if there is any reason they have been trying to contact you. If not, I would put the number on the block list. :)

3. Jun 2, 2009 #3 of 32
    oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw HarpoonIPA

Jan 25, 2007
    Halifax, MA
    I did the other day, they were offering the sports package.
    I told them if I wanted the sports package, I would call them…..

4. Jun 2, 2009 #4 of 32
    The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    I have a 877 number saved in my phone that I labeled as DirecTV. Whenever, I've gotten a true call from them, it has always been on that number. If another number shows up and they claim to be DirecTV, I don't deal with them. If you want, I can PM you the phone number when I get home.

- Merg

5. Jun 2, 2009 #5 of 32
    pfp

pfp Whatever

Apr 28, 2009
    I pretty much do the same thing except that I will not even bother answering a calls from a number i don't know.

6. Jun 2, 2009 #6 of 32
    hobie346

hobie346 Icon

Feb 23, 2007
    Don't you just love caller ID? :) :lol:

7. Jun 2, 2009 #7 of 32
    pfp

pfp Whatever

Apr 28, 2009
    Heck YEAH!!!

8. Jun 2, 2009 #8 of 32
    LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    It appears that DirecTV is aware of this number and they are NOT legit. DirecTV is supposedly attempting to have them shut down. I found this information on the "Who Calls ME? web site. 269 is a Michigan area code.

Larry

9. Jun 2, 2009 #9 of 32
    Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    I want to know what brand answering machine you have, and if there is a limit to the numbers you can block, This sounds great. What Ive been looking for, however, is a answerer with two different answers, one for blocked calls, and one for unblocked. Unblocked would answer as usual, blocked numbers would play a recording of the old "Do DOO DOOOOO - The number you have dialed has been disconnected or no longer in service". That recording purportedly causes your number to be removed from computerized call lists automatically (Like the one CARDMEMBER SERVICES uses).

You could always just sign up for everything they offer, when they call. When they ask for your credit card number, just tell them "You have it on file already, use the same one". Thats will tick em off.

10. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Most telephone companies offer a service to unblock blocked numbers. In effect, if a blocked number calls you, they need to identify themselves. When your phone rings, it tells you who is calling and if you want to can accept or decline the call. Since most blocked numbers are automated, the computer cannot identify itself so the call never gets to you.

Of course, you could just set it up to prevent any blocked numbers from getting through.

- Merg

11. jeret

jeret Mentor

Apr 22, 2007
    If you have a caller ID modem on your computer, download Phone Tray. You can block any number that appears on your caller id. You can also set it up to send out disconnect tones or a message that comes with the program or record your own. Best part, it's free.

http://www.phonetray.com/

12. Bob Coxner

Bob Coxner Icon

Dec 28, 2005
    The cordless phone + answering maching that I use for call blocking is the Panasonic KX-TG931T. I can't find that one for sale anymore but the KX-TG9342T model also has it. http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-KX-...2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1244037130&sr=1-2 For mine, I can enter as many as 20 numbers to block. The caller hears one ring and then a fast busy signal. You hear one ring and then silence. My phone, and several other Panasonics, also has voice caller ID. No need to get to the phone to read the name/number, the phone voices the name (if available) or number.

I did a lot of research before buying my unit. Call blocking from the phone company only works for local area code calls, not long distance numbers. [At least it works that way for me with AT&T] That makes it useless. The only line of cordless phones that I could find with number blocking were all Panasonic. It also helps that Panasonic makes great phones. I think I saw a newer Panasonic that allowed as many as 30 blocked numbers. Not all Panasonics offer the feature so read the specs carefully before buying.

I've had mine for about a year. I've discovered that callers eventually take the hint. I have 20 numbers blocked but I almost never get a call from them anymore.

I absolutely would never have another phone that did not allow call blocking.

13. hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    I've found that one can accomplish much of the same thing by having an answering machine. We never answer our phone, we screen all calls and don't answer until we know who is calling (and know we actually want to talk to the caller).

After imposing the answering machine on all callers, we found our nuisance calls dropped dramatically, then again, I consider nearly any phone call a nuisance call.

14. barryb

barryb New Member

Aug 26, 2007
    Thats for the tips posters!

I have been in the market for a new phone.

Another tip: we just use the "generic" greeting on our phones answering system.

15. Drew2k

Drew2k New Member

Aug 16, 2006
    Don't forget to also register your phone numbers, both landline and mobile, with the National Do Not Call Registry (fcc.gov link). This will do nothing to block scammers, but will do wonders for your sanity to block all legitimate telemarketing calls where you don't have a business relationship...

16. SDizzle

SDizzle Hall Of Fame

Jan 1, 2007
    Roseville, CA
    Through AT&T that's called "Privacy Manager", I have it and love it. Basically a blocked number is intercepted by a message stating that we do not accept calls from blocked numbers...so press some number to reveal your number, or they can say their name, then on my caller id "privacy manager" is displayed, I answer, it then tells me who is calling "yes, almost like someone from jail is calling.....LOL", then I can press a number to take it, another number to instruct them to leave a message, or another number to tell the computer to give them the recording saying don't call back and I hate them...LMAO :lol:

17. Bob Coxner

Bob Coxner Icon

Dec 28, 2005
    I have this as well and it's one more defensive measure. However, the scammers don't bother to block their numbers - they just use fake ones. Privacy Manager doesn't help in those circumstances.

I found a Panasonic model that allows you to block up to 30 numbers. http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-Tit...=UTF8&s=office-products&qid=1244068032&sr=8-1 My current phone works great but it only allows me to block 20. I already have 20 blocked and I have to erase an old one to add a new one. I hate these calls so much that I'm probably going to buy a new phone just so I can go up to 30 blocked numbers.

18. SDizzle

SDizzle Hall Of Fame

Jan 1, 2007
    Roseville, CA
    You are right, they just grab a local number so it's your local area code and you think it's a legit call.

19. roadrunner1782

roadrunner1782 Icon

Sep 27, 2008
    +1 I feel the same way about phone calls!!!