Anyone else here gonna miss hockey?

Discussion in 'Sports Programming and Events' started by John Corn, Jun 16, 2003.

1. John Corn

John Corn Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    Usually hockey is my third favorite of the major sports, Past couple of years I've really enjoyed it. I can't remember watching so much hockey as I did the last 2 months. After watching the Bulldogs in the Calder Cup Final, I realized I wont be able to see another hockey game until September.........sigh. Usually, I'm more depressed about the NFL finishing, irregardless of the teams involved, but this year, I'm saddened by the lack of hockey.

2. Augie #70

Augie #70 AllStar

Apr 24, 2002
    nope

3. Dgenx321

Dgenx321 Legend

Jan 1, 2003
    What are you gonna do when there's not a 2005 season??

4. Geronimo

Geronimo Native American Potentate DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    I love hockey. but it's June.

5. angiodan

angiodan Godfather/Supporter

Sep 2, 2002
    Before you know it September will be here. 2 things I know for sure; hockey will start, and we'll still be waiting for the 921!

I watched a lot this past season as well. I was bummed my Leafs got bumped first round, but I still watched almost every night. The only one who is probably happy the playoffs are over is my wife!

6. Rick_EE

Rick_EE Godfather

Apr 5, 2002
    There is always college. My Gophers in a three-peat. I guess four-peat in 2005.

7. newflyer7

newflyer7 Mentor

Apr 10, 2002
    i have missed hockey since the regular season ended. i had no interest in watching the playoffs since my rangers were not playing!!!

8. Dgenx321

Dgenx321 Legend

Jan 1, 2003
    The Rangers not being in the playoffs is awesome.

I will never ever feel sorry for them, they have no hockey smarts.

9. John Walsh

John Walsh Godfather/Supporter

Apr 22, 2002
    you know when I lived in Canton I wanted to play Hockey so bad but the closest ice rink was at Kent State and my parents would drive me because it was too far. I then moved to Michigan and started playing and by my Senior year in High School my parents had moved to Florida where there was no more hockey. Well about 15 years later we got a team and a rink in the city I live in. Now the Panthers practice in that rink. I play in the adult league which has some guys playing that you may recognize, Billy Smith (he's not allowed to play goalie) Sutter brothers, and some of the current Panthers. On my team I had a former Red wing and a former Sharks player and most of the guys had played at least some sort of semi - pro.

So it was kinda ironic that I moved so far south only to find what may be the greatest place for hockey (at least in the off season)

10. John Corn

John Corn Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    Hey John, the ice rink at Kent State is still there.

There is a beautiful ice skating rink built north of Belden Village near the Akron Canton airport called 'Center Ice'. That was a great addition in the Akron/Canton area, it houses alot of youth hockey and is open to the public in between youth hockey times.

11. John Walsh

John Walsh Godfather/Supporter

Apr 22, 2002
    Belden Village.... that really brings back some memories. I have some really great memories of Canton, I grew up in a house that was on the 16th fairway of Brookside Country Club. Every year for the HOF induction the inductees would be a the CC so I would get to meet them then of course I would go to the parade too. I still have some older family members there in fact one isn't doing so well so I may be visiting again soon.

12. Joe Bernardi

Joe Bernardi Legend

May 27, 2003
    Hockey is my favorite sport.

I grew up just south of Buffalo, NY. My friends and I played when the creek froze, later joined the Buffalo Muni League and played at the Aud and at the Ft. Erie, Ontario, Arena.

I had season tickets to the Buffalo Bisons of the AHL, NY Rangers (Ratelle/Gilbert/Hadfield, Giacomin, Brad Park era) when I lived in Westchester, and the Capitals who entered the NHL two years after I moved to Washington, D.C. area.

Found adult hockey in D.C. area when I was 30, and played in a few different leagues until I was 54, ending with a couple of seasons in Hockey North America.

I also follow the NFL and college basketball.

13. John Corn

John Corn Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    Wow, I guess you do LOVE hockey Joe, thats a very impressive background you have, you pretty much played hockey your entire life. You've got to be a hockey guru. :)

As for me, I'm new to the game., I just started watching Hockey the last couple of years and it's growing on me.....I love it!!

14. Joe Bernardi

Joe Bernardi Legend

May 27, 2003
    John, my aunt and uncle took me to a game when I was about 12. I was a fan by the second period. If you're going to games, at whatever level, you learn the most by sitting at the top-most seats, near the red line if possible. You can easily see the pattern of the players on ice and understand what they're trying to do. Also, it's similar to what the TV camera shows, so you can sense what's going on even though the TV camera usually doesn't even show an entire zone.

It's fun to sit down low; you get a greater sense of the speed of the skaters and the puck, as well as the hard hits, but you miss the overall feel of the game you get from up high.

If you love hockey, skate as much as you can. If there's a rink nearby you can probably find a league or pick-up group if you want to play. If you can skate, you'll pick up hockey skills pretty fast.

15. angiodan

Sep 2, 2002
    I first started skating at 4. That's almost a requirement growing up in Canada! Joe, I grew up in St. Catharines, Ont., so I've played my share of games in Fort Erie! I played competitively until I was 18 in Junior B hockey. The best year we had was when I was 16 and we played in the Canadian Championships. Lost to Quebec, those french *******s!! I knew at 18 though, my hockey career would never go to the next level, so I went to university. One guy on our team did play in the NHL with Hartford for a couple of years.

I played a little pick up hockey at university, but nothing major. When I moved to Florida 7 years ago, I thought my hockey playing days were over, but a few years ago, they built a couple of rinks here. It's been great to be on the ice. Although I have to say, I've had more injuries in the last couple of years than I ever had in all my years of playing. Must be getting older!

Here is a great site to look up any player that played in Junior hockey and above. www.hockeydb.com
    Mike Millar was the guy from our team if you want to look him up. I think he's been playing in Germany now.

And if anyone really cares, here is standings and stats at our rink. I play on Wednesdays, Tier II with the BladeRunners.
    http://www.fmskatium.com/

16. Joe Bernardi

Joe Bernardi Legend

May 27, 2003
    Angiodan, cool to have another Ft. Erie rink alum on board. You played Junior B - you're a much better player than I ever was.

About my only St. Catharines-related memory is when I was in Buffalo, which was then a a farm team of the Chicago Blackhawks. We read all about this flashy kid from the St. Catharines Tepees in the Hawks/Bisons combined training camp. Chicago played a preseason game in Buffalo, and we were all anxious to see this kid in a Bisons sweater, but Bobby Hull came out to the ice in a Chicago sweater and went straight to the NHL.

One of the groups I played with in the D. C. area was not in a league, just two friendly teams that played each other every week. Among those who joined in occasionally were U.S. Senator, former Minnesota governor, former U.S Olympic player Wendell Anderson, and Bugsy Watson who played parts of three seasons for the Capitals and was at the time the most penalized player in the NHL. My favorite person who played in that group was Len Shapiro, a Washington Post sportswriter. He sometimes showed up to play goal for the other team, and I scored a lot against him.

I agree, http://www.hockeydb.com is a very useful site.

17. angiodan

Sep 2, 2002
    My father used to go to the St. Catharines Teepees/Blackhawks games, and talked about seeing Stan Mikita among others. When I started playing in the 70's, I remember looking at all the black and white pictures of these guys that were now playing with Chicago. I haven't been in that rink in almost 20 years, but I'm sure they are still hanging there!

Joe, a guy on our team is in his 60's and he's still one heck of a skater and goal scorer! You packed it in too soon!

18. Joe Bernardi

Joe Bernardi Legend

May 27, 2003
    Three players I saw with Buffalo before going to the Blackhawks were Pierre Pilote, Ken Wharram, and goaltender Denis DeJordy who was great in the AHL but rusted on the bench as the backup goalie (to Glenn Hall?).

I quit at 54 only because all of our games in Hockey North America were somewhere around the Washington Beltway, all about 40 miles from home, and started at 11pm or later. I'd get home close to 2am and get up at three hours later to get ready for work (6:30 to 3:00).

I agree that I quit too soon. I'm 60 now and wish I was still playing, but there's nothing near Martinsburg but a pickup group that plays once a week, 30 miles away. I was still a good enough skater at 54, but didn't score like I did in my 30's and early 40's. It didn't help that I was playing against a lot of 20-year-olds with the quick reflexes I used to have. I still have all my equipment, so I haven't officially packed it in forever. My shoulder pads end at mid-chest. I was amazed at the shoulder pads some of the guys had that went down almost to their waist, front and back, and looked like they were made out of Kevlar. Damn, what's hockey if you don't find bruises the next day and have no idea when or how they happened?

I have a downsized net (with plastic posts that I hit a lot) in the basement that I shoot at with street hockey pucks. Never know when you're going to be called to fill in somewhere.

Glad to hear you've got ice not in drinking glasses in Florida.